Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have UARS. Need help with analyzing OSCAR graph and titration
I have UARS. Need help with analyzing OSCAR graph and titration
I am finally able to sleep using my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto and P10 mask after maxing out the humidity and changing a few settings. The problem is I am still waking up in the middle of the night and also feel more groggy waking up. Here is a link to my OSCAR graph - imgur.com/a/rM1DzuP and imgur.com/a/Or8f1ug. It seems like my breathing becomes erratic and the pressure/snoring increases before I wake up. I believe either my throat is closing at night and/or I am forgetting to exhale while asleep which causes me to wake up.

Here are the results for my WatchPAT test if they are helpful - i.imgur.com/IcxyTaq.png and i.imgur.com/yOdBfMe.png. My BiPAP settings were found using trial and error and is currently set at -

PS: 3
Min EPAP: 4.4
Max IPAP: 25
Ramp: 30mins
Mode: VAuto
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I have UARS. Need help with analyzing OSCAR graph and titration
I have posted complete links and some images below. As your post count increases you will be able to post your own links and images. In the third image below you provide a zoomed view of the flow rate ahead of a sleep disruption.  Over most of the night, your therapy is very good with steady pressure and occasional CA events. The event on 11/19 at 06:52 looks to start with flow restriction or limitation that may be positional from a change in body position, chin tucking or similar airway obstruction.  The fact it arises out of normal sleep rhythm tells us it is not related to pressure or settings, so we need to look elsewhere for the source of the problem.  Therapy settings appear good, and the number of events decreased slightly with PS 3.0 vs PS 4.0.   I think you can use either PS 3.0 or 4.0 as it has no effect on major respiratory statistics like tidal volume, minute vent and respiration rate, however you can increase the "trigger sensitivity" from medium to high to clear the CA events.  You can reduce maximum pressure to 12.0 if you wish. The machine only goes as high as needed, but there is nothing above 11.0 cm.

I can't identify the source of arousal, but it appears to be related to a change in body position rather than anything more sinister. Increasing trigger sensitivity should be more comfortable and reduce CA events. Other than that, let's monitor your progress and see if this makes a difference.

https://imgur.com/a/rM1DzuP

[Image: QAJ9CZ6.png]

https://imgur.com/a/Or8f1ug
[Image: 54FVbTR.png]

[Image: oST8aXs.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I will update my progress soon. I know I toss and turn a lot when I sleep so I might try a bungee cord strapped to the bed because I once used that to try and fix my acid reflux issue and it didn't work but it did help me stay on my back. I have also fixed my acid reflux issue recently by making sure to not lay down for an hour after eating and avoiding certain foods that trigger my reflux. 

I have also been able to fix my issue of waking up in the middle of the night in the past by two methods. The first way was when I went on triple therapy for h pylori but my acid reflux came back after about a month and thereby my sleeping issues. The second way was when I started using sudafed nasal spray but the rebound made this option unfeasible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my OSCAR graph from last night - imgur.com/a/8hcYxGg . I woke up in the middle of the night again but not sure when. Next time I will need to take my mask off so it's easier to spot on the graph. Also I felt like the PS was a bit too high after changing the trigger sensitivity to high so I might lower it to 2.6 or 2. But otherwise I felt like my sleep was much better with the new settings. Almost as good as what I consider to be "good sleep" but not quite there yet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This appears to be a less restless night. The pressure increase is related to a cluster of flow limitation that is probably positional. Nothing wrong with your therapy, but suspending the tube above the bed so your mask moves with you, and possibly using side-pillows to restrict movement might be a better solution than a bungee cord.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I will give those a try. I think my issue may also be allergy related as last night I was struggling to breathe through the mask so I had to take it off and I know I have dust mite allergy. But for the graphs I've already posted I had no such issues so it could be a combination of factors causing my sleeping issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flonase! Seasonal allergies, congestion, nasal inflammation. It's a great solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I've slept with the BiPAP a few more nights and have been paying attention to any leaks and allergy related issues. I still wake up in the middle of the night and suspect it is caused by two reasons, specifically - 

1. My nervous system is still on high alert and I never really enter deep sleep
2. My throat closes up and/or I stop breathing while asleep i.e. UARS and Central Apnea

I noticed in my most recent OSCAR report I did not have any increase in leaks prior to having a CA event except for one so I do not think my issues are caused by it.

Here is an overview of my sleep in OSCAR - Sleep overview - Album on Imgur
Here is a zoomed overview of when I wake up in the middle of the night - Wake up middle of the night - Imgur
Here is a zoomed overview of a CA event - Wake up middle of the night - Imgur

Is there anything else I can do to solve my sleeping issues because it feels like I have tried everything and I am about to give up on the CPAP route as I am losing confidence in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not an expert but most of my issues seem to be CA events and some hypopnea as well. Would it be worth looking into getting a ASV machine or even a Remede system?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 84 8 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 978 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 176 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 633 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 81 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.