Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spetzal's therapy thread (Help needed with DreamStation BiPap)
RE: Spetzal's therapy thread (Help needed with DreamStation BiPap)
Spetzal, let's take a closer look at the respiration rate so we can see how the inspiratory wave is looking. A sampling of 3-4 minute zooms that show the wave form clearly can help us see how your are breathing during quieter times as well as how events are initiating. If we see a lot of flatness than we might want to look at using more PS. What is your current BiFlex setting?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was aware of the model. Your zoomed captures are nearly a full hour.  I'm looking for about 3-4 minute captures.  It's going to look more like this image showing a RERA:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=43377]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
: IPAP 12/EPAP 10

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
IPAP 12/ EPAP 10.5

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, i had to look for the Biflex setting.  Ive never used it.  It is set to “off”
Post Reply Post Reply
Many of the events I am seeing flagged as CA are obstructive and include severe flow limitation before and during the apnea. The event at 12/3 22:05:40 and 22:06:40 are positional (chin-tuck?). There event on 12/3 at 20:53:40 is similarly obstructive and we see every other breath before the apnea being severely flow-limited. This is likely a series of slight arousals between airway obstructions caused by position. The downward sloping, low-volume breath during the apnea shows occlusion of the airway and the CA event is obstructive. At 20:55:50 on the same graph are two flow limited breaths with obstructions midway through inspiration followed by a severe flow limitation and another obstructive apnea flagged as CA. All of the events flagged at 12/6 from 03:18:30 to 03:20 are obstructive with flow limitation evolving into additional obstructed inspirations and arousal. 12/6 at 23:17 is preceeded by numerous flow limits, and again, I don't think the CA flag is correct.

With these facts, it is possilbe we need to make some setting changes, but it is undeniable that there is a positional event issue that needs to be addressed. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...a_.28OA.29 Maybe it is too many pillows, or sleep position, or you can consider whtat might cause chin-tucking or other airway curvature, but the obstruction is present around all events. A soft cervical collar is one option, but you are welcome to try anything to help keep your chin-up. I often tuck a pillow between by shoulder and jaw when sleeping on my side. It's kind of up to you to do the detective work on this aspect of things. For settings, I think your EPAP at 10.5 looks pretty good if not for the sporadic chin-tucks. I think you need at least PS 2.0 and if that takes a lower EPAP to tolerate, then that is what you should do. Pressure support comes in behind inspiration to help mitigate mild airway resistance. This is normally a comfortable thing, but I saw your concern with higher IPAP. If you can resolve the positional aspect, then a lower EPAP will actually work very well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure i followed all that…

“For settings, I think your EPAP at 10.5 looks pretty good if not for the sporadic chin-tucks. I think you need at least PS 2.0 and if that takes a lower EPAP to tolerate, then that is what you should do.”

Do you mean that if my EPAP is set to ypur recommended 10.5, then my IPAP should be 12.5 ?  

Been using “The Eliminator” snore collar off Amazon this week, but my neck is a bit taller than the cushion, so my airway still collapses a bit.  I just ordered a soft cervical collar for tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I THINK that it is understand that mixture of apneas and hypopneas cause slow heart rate/bradycardia during sleep apnea that normally isnt there. I think this is why ive been noticing a normal (for me) sleeping heart rate as low as 44 on he higher pressures i cant tolerate, and occasional drops to the high 30’s on the IPAP 12/EPAP 10 with unresolved positional issues as sleeprider described.

Therefore….if i can resolve the positional issue, my heart rate should stop dropping so low, thereby aboiding that pesky heart attack risk (wry humor)

Plz check me on my reasoning!
Post Reply Post Reply
Basically, I'd like to see your BiPAP used with some pressure support at 2 to 3 cm. Your latest EPAP is 10.5, but if you can resolve the positional obstruction you can probably go lower. If this is the collar you are using, I have not seen much success with that design https://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Sleep-...B076B3YQL9 We are looking for more jaw support, and the chin is secondary. This design encourages the user to cinch against the throat too tightly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
IPAP over 12 causes pain issues, im not sure how the heated tubing will affect this.  Please briefly explain (or point me towards a posting) why my EPAP cant be just 1.5cm lower, such as IPAP 12/EPAP 10.5

(12/10.5 also causes pain, its just more/less bearable in the morning…..only 12/10 causes no pain)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 52 725 3 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 36 988 5 hours ago
Last Post: MaggieL
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 59 1,018 5 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 473 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 486 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 801 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,949 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.