Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spetzal's therapy thread (Help needed with DreamStation BiPap)
RE: Spetzal's therapy thread (Help needed with DreamStation BiPap)
As far as I'm concerned, you can go to auto mode with an EPAP of 9.0 and let it max at what you find tolerable. Our objective is twofold; comfort and efficacy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In response to your PM requesting my feedback, I pretty much agree with Sleepriders suggestions.

You have a positional element that especially in your case will not resolve with pressure. I think you could use a PS of 3 and a slightly higher EPAP, try. 0.4 increase with a max pressure to provide a difference of 3.

Most of what I'd like to have you try puts you in the range where you say your pain is too much.

BUT. You have an issue with higher pressures so I'll go along with Sleepriders lower settings.

Please see an ENT to see if they can find the source of your pain. Could it just be congestion?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep rider, what im understanding from you is potentially switching from fixed to Auto BiPAP, with a max IPAP of 12 (max no pain setting) and a min EPAP of 9? What would the “pressure up” and “pressure down” settings be?

Wouldnt this be bad, as ive already determined that a constant CPAP pressure of 10 is the minimum needed to sleep without waking choking?
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon, its not a congestion issue.  Here are the procedures performed during my sinus surgery: bilateral total ethmoidectomy, bilateral madillary antrostomy, septoplasty (deviated septum).

Aside from fixing my septum, courtesy of a broken nose, the doc basically did the ol’ “rotor rooter” on my sinuses.  Consequently, any BiPAP IPAP over 12 causes pain, and any EPAP using in conjunction over 10 does the same.  Example:  12/10 is pain free, 12/10.5 is problematic

“Pain” equals shooting pain straight into my sinues, inner ears stuffed and burning, entire head/sinues burning, disorientation, irritability, etc.

Got my heated tubing in today, and also a new soft cervical collar to replace that frustrating “Eliminator” off Amazon.  See how tonight goes at 12/10 and post in the morning.  Depending on that, will play a bit and see if the heated tubing makes any difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Results from last night, 12/09
Theres a full night overview, followed by a close look at one event, followed by a look during the non-event period
Im ignoring everything before 20:20 (had new soft cervical collar too tight) and after 00:04 (just laying on stomach awake)

In general terms, I feel noticably better today.  Not enough sleep, but thats due to back/muscle/neuropathy pain.

Thoughts on data?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
There is still noticeable flow limitation, so I would like to see PS 3 fit into your settings by reducing EPAP min to 8.0 or 9.0, Leave max pressure at 12.0 and be sure PS min and PS max are set to 3.0. Mode should be Auto-BiPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, double check me plz?  This seems simplistic/straightforward, but i recognize my brain is still foggy to some degree.

Edit:  be aware the BiFlex feature is currently set to “off” and when enabled has a range of 1 to 3

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, have changed settings per your recommendation and awaiting your confirmation.

Im struggling to understand the situation after reading the ResMed document discussing BiLevel and PS.  We know that a EPAP of 10 keeps me from waking up choking while NOT eliminating OA.  I dont understand the reasoning behind recommending auto bipap with a EPAP of 8 or 9?  Of course the PS min/max is in play also, and im unsure about this…..am i correct in saying that by using a ps max 3 and ps min 3, you are simulating the ResMed function of a fixed PS, which Philips doesnt use?  And that this will temporarily increase the EPAP of 8 or 9 by 3cmH20 as needed to help eliminate OA and hypopneas?  And by setting an EPAP lower than 10, it helps with a more consistent, even flow rate?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks good. As an option you can use EPAP 8.0 and have some auto-pressure, but this will deliver a constant 12/9 pressure (PS 3).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I dont understand that in relation to the new settings you suggested and ive implemented in post# 27.  What is the practical difference from the new setting (auto bipap ipap12/epap9 with ps max 3 and ps min 3) vs the one you just referenced?  The “auto pressure” comment is throwing me.

Please explain?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,360 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.