Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Split Sleep Study - the glass is half full
Split Sleep Study - the glass is half full
First impression of the sleep center was positive--really nice decor--like a modern, upscale home instead of a sterile environment. Temperature felt just a bit below 70º. The mattress was perfect--firm but cushy on top. Very comfortable! Found out it was about a week old. I'd brought my own pillow. The lady sleep tech was congenial and professional. She noticed I was perspiring a bit after changing clothes and asked if I sleep with a fan on me. I said yes, so she set one up in the corner adjusted just how I like it.

Got to try three masks at 4 cm. I recognized the Swift FX nasal pillow and tried it first. The jets up the nostrils didn't bother me… in fact, I sorta liked the feeling. On inhale, I felt like I'd discovered breathing for the first time! No feeling of suffocation because I normally don't breath that easily or deeply. But I could've used more. I was a bit surprised by the resistance on exhale, even at 4 cm. Next was the Wisk nasal mask. I found it very comfortable and it sealed pretty well, despite my huge mustache. It did leak occasionally at the mustache, and I think it would be one of those I'd have to keep reseating all night. Finally, the full-face, which I think was a Quattro Air. It didn't have a chance against my full, heavy beard, even when tightened down hard. Leaked almost non-stop between where the mustache crossed under the seal and under the lower lip. So we picked the Swift FX as primary with Wisk as backup.

I planned on having a successful night. I'd followed all the rules and quit drinking coffee about 10AM. I took 6 mg of melatonin a half hour before sleep. I wasn't apprehensive or excited. I was very relaxed and didn't toss and turn. But I would get to the point of sleep with a dream just starting and then pop out of it--and I did that for hours… maybe 3 to 4. I was constantly aware of my surroundings in the totally dark room. I stayed relaxed and didn't let that get me upset, and eventually, I did get to sleep in the last half of the night. Never had to get up to go to the restroom.

At wake up, I found out, yes, I definitely have sleep apnea. My wife's observation that I snore like an orchestra and stop breathing frequently, even on my side, was confirmed. My oxygen level got down in the low 80s at the start of the night and I hit a low of 73 in the last half. But she said I always bounced back into the 90s. There was no time left to do the titration.

The insurance approved two visits, so even though my doctor said he could titrate me on an auto, I'll choose to go back to the center for titration. It was a fun and interesting experience (except for the gunk in my hair).

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Split Sleep Study - the glass is half full
The sleep study and titration were difficult for me too. I got aggravated with all the wires. Eventually I slept enough hours to meet the minimum. That gel they use for the sensor pads is nasty. The tech said when I shower to use water as hot as I can stand and wash my hair with conditioner first and that should get it out easily.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 07:56 AM)AlanE Wrote: The sleep study and titration were difficult for me too. I got aggravated with all the wires. Eventually I slept enough hours to meet the minimum. That gel they use for the sensor pads is nasty. The tech said when I shower to use water as hot as I can stand and wash my hair with conditioner first and that should get it out easily.

Went back and showered again using your tips. That got it all this time. Many thanks! They had the wire bundle in a soft cloth sleeve so I only was aware of them when I had to roll over.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip about gunk removal. I have my titration on Friday, so can try your advice! I hope I get the Sleep Number bed again. Turned it to 35 and slept as well as I could despite all those awakenings on my graph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi iSnore,
It's good to hear that your first study went well.
I had to go back for two studies too, because I didn't get to sleep in time for the titration.
Good luck to you at yournext study.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 10:12 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi iSnore,
It's good to hear that your first study went well.
I had to go back for two studies too, because I didn't get to sleep in time for the titration.
Good luck to you at yournext study.

Thanks, Trish! I expect that isn't uncommon on the first study.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would depend on the level of exhaustion. I fell asleep right away with my study. Was awoken half way through the night and put on a machine for the second half. Was a little harder to fall asleep with the wind tunnel traveling up my nose, but I eventually did with that also.

Now (two weeks later) it is taking a little longer to fall asleep. Attributed that to making a hefty dent into the sleep deprivation that I had been experiencing. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
My second study (part without the mask) was hard as I expected since I had been using cpap for 9yrs already and never sleep without it.

(05-19-2015, 07:35 AM)iSnore Wrote: It was a fun and interesting experience...

That is not a normal reaction by most people. Wink

Good to hear it went well. My tech told me about the conditioner thing, even then that stuff was hard to get out, mainly in my beard, don't have a lot of hair on top.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 07:35 AM)iSnore Wrote: ...

At wake up, I found out, yes, I definitely have sleep apnea. My wife's observation that I snore like an orchestra and stop breathing frequently, even on my side, was confirmed. My oxygen level got down in the low 80s at the start of the night and I hit a low of 73 in the last half. But she said I always bounced back into the 90s. There was no time left to do the titration.

The insurance approved two visits, so even though my doctor said he could titrate me on an auto, I'll choose to go back to the center for titration. It was a fun and interesting experience (except for the gunk in my hair).

Area in BOLD, above- inasmuch as you had very low 02 sats the only way that I'm aware of to check these out during titration would be blood-gas (Sa02) at the lab or use of an overnight pulse oximeter (Sp02) over a course of perhaps many nights at different pressures.

Your decision to go to lab for titration I believe to be a wise one!

I had RDI of 0.0 at 9cm at the lab but my optimal pressure was 12cm. They had to titrate me up to that level of 12cm to ensure adequate O2 sats.

Cheers,

Post Reply Post Reply
I sedated myself for the night. That is the all but fully 'guaranteed' way to have a pleasant experience that you will pass with flying colors and without aggravation. So, I tossed aside any 'macho' BS about enduring the study without meds. I 'ain't' no masochist. I wanted results, got it all done in a split-night study, did not want to risk that my study would not be sufficient and have to return again.

One must sleep, preferably in REM and supine, to have an excellent study and titration.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.