Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you.
RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you.
(04-16-2015, 04:59 PM)Terry Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 03:10 PM)JVinNE Wrote: I just spoke with ResMed tech support again, and the tech said that most people on the 9 version of the ASV Bilevel, without heated line or humidification, got 8-10 hours out of their battery.

I believe that. On the other hand, it's going to suck without a humidifier.

If this is for home use, for power failures, I'd suggest a very small, high quality generator like the Honda EU1000. Just put it outside somewhere, fire it up and use an extension cord. It's vey small, very quiet and will get you a couple of days on less than a gallon of gas.

If it's for travel, what were you thinking of? Backpacking, or use in aircraft, or something else?

Terry

Terry, that is a good idea. I would have to run a long, industrial extension cord out of my bedroom window on FL3, but that would be the best thing to do. I just worry about someone stealing it out of the back yard walkway area. It's something to think about.

The travel battery would be for possible aircraft or train use.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you.
(04-16-2015, 05:40 PM)GeoffD Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 04:59 PM)Terry Wrote: If this is for home use, for power failures, I'd suggest a very small, high quality generator like the Honda EU1000. Just put it outside somewhere, fire it up and use an extension cord. It's vey small, very quiet and will get you a couple of days on less than a gallon of gas.

I've written several times that the ResMed DC-DC converter, a 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery, and a Battery Tender Jr power failure kit costs about $190.00. Just plug the battery tender in monthly to top the battery up. If the power goes out, it's 30 seconds to hook it up using the flashlight application on your smartphone.

A little Honda generator is $800. (Honda is FINALLY allowing online sellers to discount them). You then need to worry about care & feeding of a generator. Ethanol-free gasoline. Oil changes. Running it occasionally. If you live in an apartment, where do you store it or the gasoline for it? Where did that damned extension cord get to? I look at buying one occasionally and opt out. My winter place is a townhouse condo and I have nowhere to store it or the gasoline.

I have considered this, as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 06:06 PM)JVinNE Wrote: I would have to run a long, industrial extension cord out of my bedroom window on FL3, but that would be the best thing to do. I just worry about someone stealing it out of the back yard walkway area. It's something to think about.

No! Say it ain't so! To think that someone, in the middle of a power outage, would hear a generator engine running, find it unattended and swipe it for their won use or maybe sale? Couldn't happen!

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
We bought two Honda EU2000i mail-order from Mayberry's in NJ back in 2002 for $859 each. They're a great company to deal with. I found the shielded banana plugs and built my own parallel cable with a 30A TT plug. They've also been handy for running power tools on our boat at the unpowered dock, as well as the nine days without power after the remnants of Hurricane Ivan went through.

During that time, many generators were stolen from sewage lift stations, railroad crossings, and from private homes. I only left ours running on the back deck during the day.

If I set up back ups for our CPAPs, they'll be battery for night and recharge the next day. I would NOT recommend a generator for someone living in a third floor apartment. There's just too much hassle and risk when dealing with gasoline for them and too much hassle with others wanting to plug in to yours.

I recommended a 60-something pound battery for one night with humidity, followed by two nights without. Vaughn suggested smaller batteries paralleled for more nights with humidity. I think these are the better 2-3 day solution for someone in an apartment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 05:37 AM)iSnore Wrote: We bought two Honda EU2000i mail-order from Mayberry's in NJ back in 2002 for $859 each. They're a great company to deal with. I found the shielded banana plugs and built my own parallel cable with a 30A TT plug. They've also been handy for running power tools on our boat at the unpowered dock, as well as the nine days without power after the remnants of Hurricane Ivan went through.

During that time, many generators were stolen from sewage lift stations, railroad crossings, and from private homes. I only left ours running on the back deck during the day.

If I set up back ups for our CPAPs, they'll be battery for night and recharge the next day. I would NOT recommend a generator for someone living in a third floor apartment. There's just too much hassle and risk when dealing with gasoline for them and too much hassle with others wanting to plug in to yours.

I recommended a 60-something pound battery for one night with humidity, followed by two nights without. Vaughn suggested smaller batteries paralleled for more nights with humidity. I think these are the better 2-3 day solution for someone in an apartment.

Just ditch the heated humidiity totally in an emergency situation. You don't know when the power will come back on. Lack of humidity may make sinuses uncomfortable for a few days, but ti's far better than going without PAP for a few nights. A 35 AH scooter battery is good for up to a week for me. And it's only 24 lbs. Putting two batteries in parallel can be tricky unless they are balanced with each other. If you got two, it would be better to use up one, unhook it, and then use the second one rather than parallel the two.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I run two 12 volts in parallel in our RV rather than two 6 volt golf carts in series because the battery bays just won't accommodate the height. My diesel truck also uses two 12 volts in parallel for starting.

When paralleling, it's best two use identical batteries and to ensure the cable lengths to the load and charger are the same for all batteries. IOW, if you have a chain of three joined with short jumpers, you want to take the positive to the load and charger off the positive terminal of the first battery and the negative of the last. That way the total cable length is the same for all three.

As far as needing humidification, that's an individual thing and I wouldn't presuppose to advise more than trying the unit without humidification for a day or two and see how you get on. If you can, it will save a lot of money in backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 07:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 06:06 PM)JVinNE Wrote: I would have to run a long, industrial extension cord out of my bedroom window on FL3, but that would be the best thing to do. I just worry about someone stealing it out of the back yard walkway area. It's something to think about.

No! Say it ain't so! To think that someone, in the middle of a power outage, would hear a generator engine running, find it unattended and swipe it for their won use or maybe sale? Couldn't happen!

OMM

It would not surprise me in the least if someone swiped it from the back yard.

(04-17-2015, 05:37 AM)iSnore Wrote: We bought two Honda EU2000i mail-order from Mayberry's in NJ back in 2002 for $859 each. They're a great company to deal with. I found the shielded banana plugs and built my own parallel cable with a 30A TT plug. They've also been handy for running power tools on our boat at the unpowered dock, as well as the nine days without power after the remnants of Hurricane Ivan went through.

Third floor of a house, not an apartment, and yes, this is a wise solution. Thank you. I'm thinking about tending two batteries as backup, but not linking them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 10:08 AM)JVinNE Wrote: Third floor of a house, not an apartment, and yes, this is a wise solution. Thank you. I'm thinking about tending two batteries as backup, but not linking them.

There's something to be said for that (two Battery Tenders on two separate batteries). One of the batteries in my truck developed a shorted cell (pretty rare) and it took down the other battery's charge pretty quickly.

OTOH, with paralleled batteries you're only drawing half the discharge rate from each which gives you a little gain due to the Peukert Effect (okay... let's not go there Big Grin ).
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 05:48 PM)truetopath Wrote: If it's the specific cable for your machine then using it with the c100 battery kit should be no problem.

That's not correct. The 37343 is a cable that only hooks up to the expensive ResMed Power Station II. If you hook it up to a "normal" battery, A ResMed S9 or A10 machine will refuse to work.

The ResMed S9 and A10 machines are "copy protected" and only work with ResMed power supplies, DC-DC converters, and the Power Station II. The CPAP machines look for a special signal on the power leads and will refuse to operate unless this "secret handshake" with the power supply happens. The ResMed AC and DC supplies know the secret handshake and so does the Power Station II.

To use a ResMed S9 or A10 machine with a generic battery, you need the ResMed DC-DC converter.

Shame on you, ResMed, for doing this to your customers.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 01:50 PM)archangle Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 05:48 PM)truetopath Wrote: If it's the specific cable for your machine then using it with the c100 battery kit should be no problem.

That's not correct. The 37343 is a cable that only hooks up to the expensive ResMed Power Station II. If you hook it up to a "normal" battery, A ResMed S9 or A10 machine will refuse to work.

The ResMed S9 and A10 machines are "copy protected" and only work with ResMed power supplies, DC-DC converters, and the Power Station II. The CPAP machines look for a special signal on the power leads and will refuse to operate unless this "secret handshake" with the power supply happens. The ResMed AC and DC supplies know the secret handshake and so does the Power Station II.

To use a ResMed S9 or A10 machine with a generic battery, you need the ResMed DC-DC converter.

Shame on you, ResMed, for doing this to your customers.

Sounds like a plan Dr. Evil would love (sucking pinky tip) - another reason that I am a little bit soured on the Resmed line.

OMMOHY

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 336 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Using EGO lawnmower batteries to run a biPAP HalfAsleep 11 241 04-03-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Resvent iBreeze APAP and BiPAP info TechieHippie 2 306 02-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 726 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 127 20,160 12-17-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [Pressure] Dreamstation Recall replacement = double apneas? Pauly R. 8 867 12-06-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Dean2
Question Please Review My Data (Oximeter Info Included) — Still Tired Despite "Good" Treatment avhenry 16 2,042 12-04-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.