Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spy Car Bill's (Hopefully) Excellent ASV Adventure
RE: Spy Car Bill's (Hopefully) Excellent ASV Adventure
(10-22-2017, 10:38 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Practice what Mr. Miyagi of the Karate Kid may have said "breathe in; breathe out" instead of the more famous "wax on, wax off" line.

Dave B

Coffee

Apropos of nothing, but the apartment building where Mr Miyagi and Daniel/Ralph lived (the South Seas) is located in the neighborhood where I grew up and I had a classmate in elementary school who lived in the building who I would visit.

When the movie came out, I almost jumped out of my seat when I saw the locale.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I bet that made the movie more interesting.

Eat-popcorn
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After the beautiful (and very rare) refreshing/restorative sleep on Friday, last night I had insomnia an maybe slept a little towards morning.

I'm feeling pretty shattered today. Oh, the ups and down of poor sleep.

I can't blame the machine, as the ASV and I have been in a general groove. I did feel the IPAP pressure getting high at times (I don't like it), but it wasn't behind my problems.

I don't know if there is anything to conclude in terms of changes based on last night's charts, but here they are:

Bill

[Image: G7al5KU.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your PS max of 8.0 is being worked pretty hard, and especially around the remaining events. You may need a slightly higher PS max, simply based on the fact that your setting is quite low for ASV. It needs to be high enough to cause a breath to be taken when necessary. I know you're sensitive to pressure, but when we see persistently flat-topped PS peaks in a chart, it's a pretty clear indicator that the machine would be providing more pressure support if it were available. Check out the alignment of flow limit and pressure support, as well as events. You might have to get in a little closer to see what's actually going on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2017, 10:28 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your PS max of 8.0 is being worked pretty hard, and especially around the remaining events.  You may need a slightly higher PS max, simply based on the fact that your setting is quite low for ASV.  It needs to be high enough to cause a breath to be taken when necessary.  I know you're sensitive to pressure, but when we see persistently flat-topped PS peaks in a chart, it's a pretty clear indicator that the machine would be providing more pressure support if it were available.  Check out the alignment of flow limit and pressure support, as well as events.  You might have to get in a little closer to see what's actually going on.

Shall I go to 9 on the top range of PS?

Is EPAP OK? 

I can't think today.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW on the PS: don't know if it helps to see clearly or of I'm just muddying the waters, but for me and my settings, my EPAP max plus PS max allows my machine the capability to go to max IPAP 25 even though I rarely if ever go past 19, or I should say I'm not seeing my device go past 19.

speaking of muddy water  Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bill, in the world of trial and error we live in, I think an increase of PS max to 9.0 is a worthy experiement. We want to see the flow limits and events reduced, and hopefully it pays off in more restful sleep. I do think you're pretty close, but seeing the event rate creep up near 4 is a trend I'd like to reverse.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will adjust the PS Max to 9.

Unfortunately, I think the bad night's sleep was a "Bill issue" and not a machine issue (per se), but dialing-in the machine is important and I appreciate the on-going help.

Grasshopper
Post Reply Post Reply
I raised the PS Max to 9 as suggested. All the UA events are gone. Only Hypopneas left.

I don't quite understand the "events" with ASV. Will every event be a UA or H? How do I understand these?

I'm open to adjustments to see if Hypopneas can be reduced.

The good news is despite a short night (I worked late on a project) is that I sleep pretty well and the machine and pressures were comfortable.

Two things I will note for future ASV users who stumble on this thread:

One, it seems to me that there is a process where the machine and the user both learn to adapt to one another. It is different than the ResMed 10 APAP. In the beginning, I felt times when the machine and I were not always in sync with regard to breathing rates, but that is changing. In early nights, at times, I found myself trying to either "over-breathe" the machine (forcing it to my will) or very consciously adapting my breathe to the machine's will. It was almost like dancing with a partner who sometimes wants to take the lead.

That is changing. The "partnership" is feeling more intuitive. More like we are of one mind.

Two. I've written that I'm sensitive to high IPAP pressures. I'm finding that with the P10s (a mask that I did not do well with AHI number-wise with APAP, despite loving the minimalism of the design) that the way this pillow mask delivers pressure is more tolerable to me than the nasal masks and that the brilliant was this mask diffuses exhaust means the disruptive body-wash of air that comes with higher pressures is gone. Love it.

It does show that at least in my case a mask that did not work especially well for APAP is working very well with ASV, YMMV.

Do I make any moves?

Thinking of turning off the ramp. Yes, no?

Bill

[Image: Xo9wrlu.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Four of your 11 events resulted from the use of ramp. Your choice, but should be obvious.

Let's let this go for a while before making any other pressure changes, and if we still have hypopnea, we will use PS min of 3.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,319 5 hours ago
Last Post: Little Olive
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 190 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 909 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  BoxcarPete: An Adventure in Fine-Tuning BoxcarPete 32 1,633 12-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  KeepSmiling’s Book 2, ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Adventure/Treatment KeepSmiling 42 4,232 11-26-2022, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Medical baseline: saving a dollar a day on electricity bill thanks to CPAP NelsonM 3 1,155 09-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Last Post: BionicBreather
  [Equipment] Any CPAP Suppliers Who Don't Bill Deductible? msmith404040 0 644 02-12-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: msmith404040

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.