Lambsydoats Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit ™ P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her-integrated
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Initially: AHI=52; 2nd: AHI=18; CPAP 11-10-14; as of 8-18-15: AHI consistently under 5.0

Sex: Female

Ssssssssneezing!
You know that feeling pre-sneeze, especially those times when it's as if your body is still debating whether to sneeze? You look like a mad dog with your top lip curled up and your eyes squinting because of that fuzzy-tingly feeling in your nose.

Well, I've been looking like a mad dog for two weeks now, and this morning I saw some advertisement for a SoClean 2 CPAP Cleaner. At first, I thought, "Oh brother. Just one more thing to take advantage of poor suckers who think such a thing is necessary." My next thought was, "Hey. Wait a minute."

Not too awfully long ago, I received all new parts except humidifier tank. Although I can't pinpoint this mad-dog phase to that event, I did start to wonder whether (A) this new equipment is made out of a different material than my original (I'm allergic to PPG); and (B) for some reason my humidifier tank/tubing/nasal pillows aren't getting clean enough.

Have you had anything like that happen to you?

I feel absolutely fine otherwise. No other symptoms that would indicate that I have a sinus infection, allergies, or even a cold. I just feel like one of the seven dwarfs; yeah, you know the one.

Achooo!

Huh

To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA September 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
08-18-2015 04:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Ssssssssneezing!
(08-18-2015 04:44 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote:  You know that feeling pre-sneeze, especially those times when it's as if your body is still debating whether to sneeze? You look like a mad dog with your top lip curled up and your eyes squinting because of that fuzzy-tingly feeling in your nose.

Well, I've been looking like a mad dog for two weeks now, and this morning I saw some advertisement for a SoClean 2 CPAP Cleaner. At first, I thought, "Oh brother. Just one more thing to take advantage of poor suckers who think such a thing is necessary." My next thought was, "Hey. Wait a minute."

Not too awfully long ago, I received all new parts except humidifier tank. Although I can't pinpoint this mad-dog phase to that event, I did start to wonder whether (A) this new equipment is made out of a different material than my original (I'm allergic to PPG); and (B) for some reason my humidifier tank/tubing/nasal pillows aren't getting clean enough.

Have you had anything like that happen to you?

I feel absolutely fine otherwise. No other symptoms that would indicate that I have a sinus infection, allergies, or even a cold. I just feel like one of the seven dwarfs; yeah, you know the one.

Achooo!

Huh

If you're sneezing, it's probably not due to germs, it's outgassing or dust. If SoClean does anything, it's probably kill germs, not destroy allergens.

Clean your old parts well and switch back for a while. They didn't suddenly go bad at some point in time. Clean the new parts out really good with hot water and let them air out while you use your old parts again for a few weeks.

Clean and check your filter and make sure there's nothing near the air intake. Dust and clean the area thoroughly. Be careful about cleaning products and fragrances in that area.

BTW, I've developed the ability to "sneeze" through my mouth instead of my nose. I close off my nose like I do when blowing up a balloon, and let the air go out through my mouth. It sounds funny, but it reduces the urge to sneeze and doesn't blow my nasal mask off.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2015 04:59 PM by archangle.)
08-18-2015 04:55 PM
Lambsydoats Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments: Initially: AHI=52; 2nd: AHI=18; CPAP 11-10-14; as of 8-18-15: AHI consistently under 5.0

(08-18-2015 04:55 PM)archangle Wrote:  Clean your old parts well and switch back for a while.

Clean and check your filter and make sure there's nothing near the air intake. Dust and clean the area thoroughly. Be careful about cleaning products and fragrances in that area.

Thank you, Archangle.

Unfortunately, I waited longer than I should have to get the new parts (I have this high-deductible medical plan now that actually just means that everything is out-of-pocket), and I was getting pretty high AHIs with the old pieces and parts. Now, it's consistently well under 5.0.

I'll clean the new equipment again. (I didn't think about heating up my distilled water.) The filter is new, so that should be O.K., but I'll check to be sure there's nothing near the intake. With furbabies around, anything like that is possible. Rolleyes

AHI=18
08-18-2015 05:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose, are common problems with cpap use
make sure mask fit good and play around with humidifier settings
for me, sneeze when cpap air feel cold, the heated hose and saline sinus rinse before bedtime fix the problem
if problem persists, talk to your doctor
08-18-2015 05:25 PM
Lambsydoats Offline

Preferred Members-2

I'm thinking more of possible mold than anything.

AHI=18
08-19-2015 08:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Funny that I should find your thread today. Just last night, I sneezed after I had put my mask on. That is the first time since I started CPAP four or five years ago that happened. I thought,"Wow, that was strange". Then this morning I run across your post about sneezing.

I think the aliens must be at work.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
08-19-2015 10:02 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Payton, CalTech recorded that sneeze as a 6.3 Magnitude. It set off alarms in Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego and San Bernardino Counties.

I think Lambsydoats is suffering from allergies. You could try rinsing with a Neti pot.
There is an old trick of holding the index finger horizontally across the upper lip, just under the nose, and pressing it against the teeth to suppress a sneeze.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-19-2015 10:40 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

To say nothing of the monstrous wind gust that accompanied the quake. Knocked down a bunch of trees, turned cars over, flattened buildings. It was a mess.
08-19-2015 02:24 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(08-19-2015 08:42 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote:  I'm thinking more of possible mold than anything.
I haven't seen any mould or mushroom growing in the water chamber or the hose
I wash and dry everything regularly and keep spares of everything
08-19-2015 04:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board