Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ssssssssneezing!
RE: Ssssssssneezing!
There's a lot of crud going around right now. I've had a cold for a week. Some of you may be showing the beginning signs of it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2017, 10:33 AM)gopcs Wrote: After having lots of problems with sneezing and runny nose, I finally determined that the nasal membranes were becoming irritated from the constant "wind" from the CPAP for 7+ hours overnight. This would be similar to working outside in the wind all day, and getting windburn on the face.

There is no more wind going up your nose from CPAP than without it.  Think about it -- where would it go?  Have your lungs gotten suddenly larger?  Yes, the machines push out a large amount of air when the mask is not on your face, they are trying to pressurize the room.  But once you put the mask on and the pressure is reached, your lung capacity limits the air entering.
Post Reply Post Reply
just open your mouth and you'll feel the "wind" Too-funny Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
Very true, but then you have put the system back into open mode, the same as not having a mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regardless of the underlying reason, the remedy works.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
After trying Neti pot sinus rinse some time ago I could not get comfortable with it. Then my ENT told me to try NeilMed sinus rinse which i did. NeilMed proved to be much more tolerable and I use it regularly. It's readily available and is OTC. I am using it for allergies but it may well be helping my CPAP use also.

gopcs said: "I have set my humidification to 4 (range is 0-5). At night right before going to bed, using a Q-tip, swab Aquaphor to the nasal passages as far up the nose as you feel comfortable. I place the Q-tip about 1 1/2 inches up the nose. Next morning after showering, use a Q-tip to apply nasal gel to the nasal passages. This keeps the nasal membranes from drying out and becoming irritated. 

After having lots of problems with sneezing and runny nose, I finally determined that the nasal membranes were becoming irritated from the constant "wind" from the CPAP for 7+ hours overnight. This would be similar to working outside in the wind all day, and getting windburn on the face.  I have been using the procedure mentioned above for 2 months, and have not had any sneezing or runny nose."

I often experience dry nasal passages and have considered using Aquaphor as reported by gopcs. Since I use supplemental O2 anytime I am using CPAP I have not tried Aquaphor being concerned about feeding O2 into a confined space containing Aquaphor or petroleum jelly or any similar substance.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.