Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ssssssssneezing!
Ssssssssneezing!
You know that feeling pre-sneeze, especially those times when it's as if your body is still debating whether to sneeze? You look like a mad dog with your top lip curled up and your eyes squinting because of that fuzzy-tingly feeling in your nose.

Well, I've been looking like a mad dog for two weeks now, and this morning I saw some advertisement for a SoClean 2 CPAP Cleaner. At first, I thought, "Oh brother. Just one more thing to take advantage of poor suckers who think such a thing is necessary." My next thought was, "Hey. Wait a minute."

Not too awfully long ago, I received all new parts except humidifier tank. Although I can't pinpoint this mad-dog phase to that event, I did start to wonder whether (A) this new equipment is made out of a different material than my original (I'm allergic to PPG); and (B) for some reason my humidifier tank/tubing/nasal pillows aren't getting clean enough.

Have you had anything like that happen to you?

I feel absolutely fine otherwise. No other symptoms that would indicate that I have a sinus infection, allergies, or even a cold. I just feel like one of the seven dwarfs; yeah, you know the one.

Achooo!

Huh
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ssssssssneezing!
(08-18-2015, 04:44 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: You know that feeling pre-sneeze, especially those times when it's as if your body is still debating whether to sneeze? You look like a mad dog with your top lip curled up and your eyes squinting because of that fuzzy-tingly feeling in your nose.

Well, I've been looking like a mad dog for two weeks now, and this morning I saw some advertisement for a SoClean 2 CPAP Cleaner. At first, I thought, "Oh brother. Just one more thing to take advantage of poor suckers who think such a thing is necessary." My next thought was, "Hey. Wait a minute."

Not too awfully long ago, I received all new parts except humidifier tank. Although I can't pinpoint this mad-dog phase to that event, I did start to wonder whether (A) this new equipment is made out of a different material than my original (I'm allergic to PPG); and (B) for some reason my humidifier tank/tubing/nasal pillows aren't getting clean enough.

Have you had anything like that happen to you?

I feel absolutely fine otherwise. No other symptoms that would indicate that I have a sinus infection, allergies, or even a cold. I just feel like one of the seven dwarfs; yeah, you know the one.

Achooo!

Huh

If you're sneezing, it's probably not due to germs, it's outgassing or dust. If SoClean does anything, it's probably kill germs, not destroy allergens.

Clean your old parts well and switch back for a while. They didn't suddenly go bad at some point in time. Clean the new parts out really good with hot water and let them air out while you use your old parts again for a few weeks.

Clean and check your filter and make sure there's nothing near the air intake. Dust and clean the area thoroughly. Be careful about cleaning products and fragrances in that area.

BTW, I've developed the ability to "sneeze" through my mouth instead of my nose. I close off my nose like I do when blowing up a balloon, and let the air go out through my mouth. It sounds funny, but it reduces the urge to sneeze and doesn't blow my nasal mask off.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2015, 04:55 PM)archangle Wrote: Clean your old parts well and switch back for a while.

Clean and check your filter and make sure there's nothing near the air intake. Dust and clean the area thoroughly. Be careful about cleaning products and fragrances in that area.

Thank you, Archangle.

Unfortunately, I waited longer than I should have to get the new parts (I have this high-deductible medical plan now that actually just means that everything is out-of-pocket), and I was getting pretty high AHIs with the old pieces and parts. Now, it's consistently well under 5.0.

I'll clean the new equipment again. (I didn't think about heating up my distilled water.) The filter is new, so that should be O.K., but I'll check to be sure there's nothing near the intake. With furbabies around, anything like that is possible. Rolleyes

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose, are common problems with cpap use
make sure mask fit good and play around with humidifier settings
for me, sneeze when cpap air feel cold, the heated hose and saline sinus rinse before bedtime fix the problem
if problem persists, talk to your doctor

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking more of possible mold than anything.

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny that I should find your thread today. Just last night, I sneezed after I had put my mask on. That is the first time since I started CPAP four or five years ago that happened. I thought,"Wow, that was strange". Then this morning I run across your post about sneezing.

I think the aliens must be at work.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton, CalTech recorded that sneeze as a 6.3 Magnitude. It set off alarms in Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego and San Bernardino Counties.

I think Lambsydoats is suffering from allergies. You could try rinsing with a Neti pot.
There is an old trick of holding the index finger horizontally across the upper lip, just under the nose, and pressing it against the teeth to suppress a sneeze.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
To say nothing of the monstrous wind gust that accompanied the quake. Knocked down a bunch of trees, turned cars over, flattened buildings. It was a mess.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2015, 08:42 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote: I'm thinking more of possible mold than anything.
I haven't seen any mould or mushroom growing in the water chamber or the hose
I wash and dry everything regularly and keep spares of everything
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP Runny nose, sneezing, watering eyes

I found a solution that works for me.

Items required: Q-tips, Aquaphor, nasal gel like Ayr

I have set my humidification to 4 (range is 0-5). At night right before going to bed, using a Q-tip, swab Aquaphor to the nasal passages as far up the nose as you feel comfortable. I place the Q-tip about 1 1/2 inches up the nose. Next morning after showering, use a Q-tip to apply nasal gel to the nasal passages. This keeps the nasal membranes from drying out and becoming irritated.

After having lots of problems with sneezing and runny nose, I finally determined that the nasal membranes were becoming irritated from the constant "wind" from the CPAP for 7+ hours overnight. This would be similar to working outside in the wind all day, and getting windburn on the face.  I have been using the procedure mentioned above for 2 months, and have not had any sneezing or runny nose.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.