Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

St vs. ASv
St vs. ASv
What is the difference between an ST machine and an ASV res mend sleep machine? Just saw my sleep DR. and he wants another sleep study. He said it was for a St Machine because of centrals. I have never heard of an ST machine before this. Is it the same thing as an ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: St vs. ASv
Absolutely not the same machine.

Per the ResMed Sleep Lab Titration Guide

ST (Spontaneous/Timed)   Augments any breaths initiated by the patient, but also supplies additional breaths if the breath rate falls below the clinician’s set “backup” respiratory rate

Treats COPD, NMD, OHS and other respiratory conditions

ASV (adaptive servo-ventilation) Targets the patient’s minute ventilation, continually learning the patient’s breathing pattern and instantly responding to any changes 

Treats Central or mixed apneas, complex sleep apnea, Periodic Breathing (PB)

ASVAuto Provides an ASV algorithm plus expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP) that automatically responds on the patient’s next breath to flow limitation, snore and obstructive sleep apneas

Treats Central or mixed apneas, complex sleep apnea, Periodic Breathing (PB)

T (Timed) Supplies a clinician-set respiratory rate and inspiratory/expiratory time, regardless of patient effort

Treats COPD, NMD, OHS and other respiratory conditions
Post Reply Post Reply
In other words, ST is the wrong machine to treat central apnea and periodic breathing or CSR. We have seen this dozens of times. I can think of only one case where ST turned out to be the better choice. In all other cases, the ASV was the solution. Read this thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Chart+envy
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to those descriptions I should be tested for an ASV because the Dr. told me I have too many centrals.

With my other obstructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have centrals.  My AHI was 40+/- on a ResMed VAuto machine during my 5th titration study.  For me, the VAuto machine identified positively that I had Centrals along with the fact that I was able to give them enough data to say it was a successful study.  The ASV machine was expensive, out-of-pocket (yeah me!) but well worth it.  Now I am running AHI's of sub-5.0 average somewhat consistently.  And much better if I discount SWJ events.  The SWJ adjusted AHI is often below 1.0.  The important thing for me is I feel such and incredible improvement during the day having my ASV machine.  I believe the general consensus on the Apnea Board is that the ResMed AirCurve ASV is preferred over the PR equivalent.  I don't know anything about the PR machine, but I am in love with my ResMed ASV.  I'm just playing around with the settings as time permits to get the best balance of lowest AHI reports and most comfort.

If your sleep doctor does prescribe a ResMed AirCurve ASV machine to treat your Centrals, I believe you will be very pleased with the machine and your results.

All the best.

Ray
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks, everybody for the replies,  Does the ASV also treat hypopnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
Both Obstructive and Central Hypopneas
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.