Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Standard filters vs antiallergen filters, who uses what
Standard filters vs antiallergen filters, who uses what
For almost five years now I've used standard filters, but have been curious about the antiallergen filters. Is it worth the extra $$, can either of them be cleaned rather than replaced, and why do you like what you use?

Thanks,

Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Standard filters vs antiallergen filters, who uses what
Standard filters are relatively cheap and insurance companies will usually allow you to get enough to replace them every month. For myself, I've started cutting up old, unused filters for previous CPAPs, to fit my S9. Let's face it: a filter is a filter - unless you're talking about charcoal activated ones.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2014, 06:51 PM)PollCat Wrote: Standard filters are relatively cheap and insurance companies will usually allow you to get enough to replace them every month. For myself, I've started cutting up old, unused filters for previous CPAPs, to fit my S9. Let's face it: a filter is a filter - unless you're talking about charcoal activated ones.

I already took that poll PollCat, but your opinion does count. Yes getting 2 per filters per month from my DME (which BTW, are good honest people that actually will go out of their way to assist their patients/customers with their needs, not the DME's needs) allows me to change filters every 15 days, which is a bit of overkill.
I have to believe that it's all just personal choice, or someone uses the hypoallergenic filters because of allergies.
Thanks for the reply,
Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
I generally use the foam-type filter for intake air. I've added the extra allergen filter but it seems to make the fan work harder.

I now run -- 100% of the time -- an exhaust filter between the machine and start of the hose that catches a LOT of stuff.

I've found that it helps with my allergy issues, especially since we have a cat that insists on sleeping on us all night, and I'm also senstive to mold and pollen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 08:36 AM)glfredrick Wrote: I now run -- 100% of the time -- an exhaust filter between the machine and start of the hose that catches a LOT of stuff.
If you mean one of these, it's actually an antibacterial filter. It creates some pressure drop. The S9 machines have a setting to account for that drop.

[Image: 21swTVweRCL._AA160_.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 08:49 AM)justMongo Wrote: If you mean one of these, it's actually an antibacterial filter. It creates some pressure drop. The S9 machines have a setting to account for that drop.

[Image: 21swTVweRCL._AA160_.jpg]

Everything I've read says you can't use one of those antibacterial filters with a xPAP humidifier.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 09:00 AM)PollCat Wrote: Everything I've read says you can't use one of those antibacterial filters with a xPAP humidifier.

It would seem that a filter fine enough to stop bacteria would get wet and really increase flow resistance.

I've seen them used in hospital machines; but, they inject moisture after the blower/filter.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 10:56 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 09:00 AM)PollCat Wrote: Everything I've read says you can't use one of those antibacterial filters with a xPAP humidifier.

It would seem that a filter fine enough to stop bacteria would get wet and really increase flow resistance.

I've seen them used in hospital machines; but, they inject moisture after the blower/filter.
Antibacterial filters are not compatible with climate line hoses or slim lines hoses but are okay with standard hose

As for the OP question, the machine comes with standard filter, hypo filters get dirty quicker than standard filters and should be replaced more often than standard filters otherwise the machine overheat and affect airflow. The main function of the filter is to protect the machine not the user as everyone else breathing unfiltered room air
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 02:59 PM)zonk Wrote: As for the OP question, the machine comes with standard filter, hypo filters get dirty quicker than standard filters and should be replaced more often than standard filters otherwise the machine overheat and affect airflow. The main function of the filter is to protect the machine not the user as everyone else breathing unfiltered room air

OK Zonk, that sounds sensible. The finer the filter, the better the filtering of the inlet air to the machine. The patient benefits from a cleaner machine and cleaner air. I just ordered 10 hypoallergenic filters from an online store, and intend to try them for a year to see if there is any benefit to me. The cost was minimal, and I like to improve performance, even if a little bit, without harming the original intent of the machine.
Thanks all,
Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 10:56 AM)justMongo Wrote:

Perhaps, but they work. Been using them with my M-type, humidifier set to #3, for several years. Doesn't seem to effect the filters at all and they do catch a lot of stuff.

Perhaps slight air flow loss, but with the constant blowing that is minimal. Let me explain my thinking here in terms of pneumatics (that I use in the shop). If one puffs ONE puff of air through a filter, there is decided loss of flow. That's why filters are used as silencers on pneumatic equipment. However, use the same filter in-line and what happens is the air flow is constant, therefore what is on the other side of the filter equals the pre-filtered side eventually as the air is always replacing that which was vented. In a pressurized setting like our masks/breathing cavity, the air is under pressure and fills in after the filter by the constant supply.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 92 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 396 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Resmed A11 Autoset - Set to standard time? foss 2 499 11-07-2023, 05:48 AM
Last Post: multicast
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,468 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 831 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 508 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.