Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Star-San for CPAP humidifier disinfection
I don't know how many on the forum are brew-masters, but I'm one of them. In addition to making IPAs, Porters, Stouts and other marvelous concoctions, I have to be scrupulous about cleaning and disinfecting brewing equipment and glassware. This is where Star-San comes in. Star-San is an FDA approved disinfecting acid that leaves surfaces clean and free of bacteria and viruses. It is safe for use on glassware and bottles intended to hold drinks, and is often used in commercial food processing, dairies, kitchens, breweries, restaurants and bars to final rinse vessels, containers, plates, utensils, glasses etc.

Important to note, the dilution of Star-San to water is 1 oz per 5-gallons (1.56 cc/liter). Properly diluted it's safe, but the concentrate is corrosive.

I have been using this in a spray bottle for cleaning the humidifier container, and CPAP hose. It seems to fight mineral deposits, and the funk that can form on the nooks and crannies of the humidifier tray. I don't expect this to become the next sensational cleaner as it's not approved for medical use, but I thought I'd throw this out there for the critics to chew on. Or, if you prefer, I posted this in off-topic, so we can discuss beer. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm, no takers...kinda figured.

Name your favorite beer?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd love to try it but nothing ever builds up or grows in my humidifier. I guess the distilled water and filter are doing their jobs. 8-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Nothing grows in my humidifier either, at least that I can see. eeew

OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have gotten foul smells from the humidifier container, by my own neglect. I use tap water, and usually dump the water and refill. During more intensive cleaning sessions I saw a very thin bio-film that was clearly the culprit. It is very thin, and barely visible, but it's there. So with the Star San it never comes back.

The PRS1 humidifier chambers have a lot of difficult to clean crevices, and with the sanitizer, it doesn't matter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why not switch to distilled water?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Well, tap water is easy, and it's everywhere. Tap water has never been a problem, and distilled water will support contaminates if it is not regularly cleaned anyway. This is like cleaning with vinegar, but more effective, without the smell or taste. Personally, I think distilled water is over-rated unless you have a high mineral content in your tap.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's safe for food, it should be perfectly safe for your mask and stuff. My brother reports odors despite my cleaning, so maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for posting this. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2015, 07:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well, tap water is easy, and it's everywhere. Tap water has never been a problem, and distilled water will support contaminates if it is not regularly cleaned anyway. This is like cleaning with vinegar, but more effective, without the smell or taste. Personally, I think distilled water is over-rated unless you have a high mineral content in your tap.

You mean like pipes that heal themselves by plugging leaks with sediment and lime? 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply

(12-23-2015, 10:19 PM)Terry Wrote:
(12-23-2015, 07:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well, tap water is easy, and it's everywhere. Tap water has never been a problem, and distilled water will support contaminates if it is not regularly cleaned anyway. This is like cleaning with vinegar, but more effective, without the smell or taste. Personally, I think distilled water is over-rated unless you have a high mineral content in your tap.

You mean like pipes that heal themselves by plugging leaks with sediment and lime? 8-)

Someone needs to have a talk with your local water treatment plant operator. There is a fine line between deposits and corrosion, but pH and hardness should be easy to balance.

I recommend you switch to Guinness.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek's "Transparent Aluminum": Now a reality SuperSleeper 5 925 11-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Last Post: AlanE