Humidifier: built in
CPAP Pressure: 5-18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Mac OSX 10.11.3

Sex: Male

RE: Star-San for CPAP humidifier disinfection
(12-24-2015 09:32 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  
(12-23-2015 10:19 PM)Terry Wrote:  
(12-23-2015 07:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  Well, tap water is easy, and it's everywhere. Tap water has never been a problem, and distilled water will support contaminates if it is not regularly cleaned anyway. This is like cleaning with vinegar, but more effective, without the smell or taste. Personally, I think distilled water is over-rated unless you have a high mineral content in your tap.

You mean like pipes that heal themselves by plugging leaks with sediment and lime? 8-)

Someone needs to have a talk with your local water treatment plant operator. There is a fine line between deposits and corrosion, but pH and hardness should be easy to balance.

I recommend you switch to Guinness.
For many of us, "Hard Water" is a fact of life -- like anybody near the Appalachians. The amount of, especially, limestone in the ground does do a nice job of filtering the water -- but it also forms stalagmites and stalactites (when the mites grow up, the tites grow down Smile)

I've always used tap water in assorted humidification devices and coffee makers, and, as you point out, the solution is always vinegar.

I'll have to talk to my brother, who is into home brewing - never thought about trying whatever he uses.
Or maybe my local brew-pub, which is only 2 blocks away!

And personally, I find Guinness a bit low on the hops -- I much prefer a nice IPA -- Aside from the fact that it has shot up to over $50 USD per case, I like John Courage!

And then of course, there is Single Malt!

Bill Magill
Retired computing and networking professional
(ARPAnet, Unix and Mac OSX)
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,
but actually — from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint —
it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
The Doctor
12-31-2015 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Star-San for CPAP humidifier disinfection
(12-31-2015 11:59 AM)whmagill Wrote:  
(12-24-2015 09:32 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  
(12-23-2015 10:19 PM)Terry Wrote:  You mean like pipes that heal themselves by plugging leaks with sediment and lime? 8-)

Someone needs to have a talk with your local water treatment plant operator. There is a fine line between deposits and corrosion, but pH and hardness should be easy to balance.

I recommend you switch to Guinness.
For many of us, "Hard Water" is a fact of life -- like anybody near the Appalachians. The amount of, especially, limestone in the ground does do a nice job of filtering the water -- but it also forms stalagmites and stalactites (when the mites grow up, the tites grow down Smile)

I've always used tap water in assorted humidification devices and coffee makers, and, as you point out, the solution is always vinegar.

I'll have to talk to my brother, who is into home brewing - never thought about trying whatever he uses.
Or maybe my local brew-pub, which is only 2 blocks away!

And personally, I find Guinness a bit low on the hops -- I much prefer a nice IPA -- Aside from the fact that it has shot up to over $50 USD per case, I like John Courage!

And then of course, there is Single Malt!

Since the Star San is an acid base cleaner, although very dilute, it does fight mineral deposits. It's safe for use on the materials in your CPAP and harmless when diluted with beer water or whatever.

Guiness is no where near a favorite of mine, and I clearly underestimated you. Coffee

For beer purchases here in the Social Republic of PA where beer, wine and liquor are extremely regulated; I have developed a cash relationship with the regional wholesaler. As a result my costs per case are about 25% less than the distributor, and half of retail. My favorite trick is the motorcycle beer run. In this case, two cases and a keg.

[Image: 28499586-0DC4-42C6-A40A-23FB539429DC.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2015 02:47 PM by Sleeprider.)
12-31-2015 02:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Star Trek's "Transparent Aluminum": Now a reality SuperSleeper 5 695 11-04-2015 07:36 PM
Last Post: AlanE