Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Star Trek's "Transparent Aluminum": Now a reality
Star Trek's "Transparent Aluminum": Now a reality

Tough-as-Steel Glass Breaks Mold

[Image: dnews-files-2015-11-tough-as-steel-glass...70-jpg.jpg]

Glass is notoriously breakable. Just ask any twelve-year-boy carrying a bat and searching for his baseball.

But scientists are keenly interested in making glass resilient because people really want windows that don’t shatter and you can say same thing for screens on laptops and phones.

A team from the University of Tokyo’s Institute of Industrial Science are working toward that goal. They say they’ve created glass that’s nearly as strong as steel.

Making the material seems surprisingly simple. They mixed alumina, an oxide of aluminum, with silicon dioxide.

Others have tried this before, but as soon as they added the alumina to the silicon dixoide inside a container, the mixture crystallized and glass didn't form.

So to get around that problem, the scientists eliminated the pesky container. Instead, they used gas to push the chemical components together. It worked!

The result was a transparent glass nearly as strong as steel and iron.

“We will establish a way to mass-produce the new material shortly,” said Atsunobu Masuno in an interview. Masuno is an assistant professor at the Institute of Industrial Science. “We are looking to commercialize the technique within five years,” he added.

Masuno and his colleagues reported their findings earlier this month in Scientific Reports by Nature.

Fair Use from:
http://news.discovery.com/tech/tough-as-...151103.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-zPIjJv8rA

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Finally, I can transport my humpback whales through time.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Someone check Golden Gate Park for a cloaked Klingon vessel.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Alan's a klingon?
Shock
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 12:43 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Alan's a klingon?

Only in real life... not here on the Interwebz, though. In cyberspace, he's a wookie.

[Image: h15066.gif]
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Barbers fear me.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star-San for CPAP humidifier disinfection Sleeprider 21 2,223 12-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider