Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Started CPAP earlier this year, but I'm having a little trouble
Started CPAP earlier this year, but I'm having a little trouble
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and new to using Sleepyhead. I've been reading posts here for the better part of the year. I had my sleep study and was prescribed a Dreamstation in January of this year. I've been compliant except for a couple of weeks where I had terrible allergies and the flu for a week. Other than that, my pressure has been set on 7 and I just changed it three days ago to 9.5. I feel pretty good throughout the day, but it seems as if it is almost impossible to wake up in the mornings. This has been happening for a couple of months. Typically, I'll sleep with my machine until the time I plan to wake up, but I tend to take my mask off, start to wake up, and then crash for a couple of more hours. I know I need to fix some things on my end . i.e. a consistent bed time and better sleep hygiene. I just wanted to see if anyone can take a look at my charts from Sleepyhead and give any recommendations as to how  can improve my sleep each night. Thank you in advanced! Please let me know if there is anymore information I need to provide.

Sidenote: My total time over leak redline has been 0% until I increased the pressure three nights ago. Then it went up to 10%,6%, and 17%.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Started CPAP earlier this year, but I'm having a little trouble
I'd probably set it to Auto CPAP mode and set minimum pressure at 9cm and maximum pressure at 14cm. You can also turn off VS2 in sleepyhead in the event flags. It doesn't really provide any useful information.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would have it on Auto for sure at least for now or you see what happens, Auto is best for most people, but not all.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
what walla walla and sleep2snore said

kepp us posted
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright. I adjusted the settings to Auto and set the pressure minimum at 9.0 and the maximum at 14.0. I slept for about 3 and a half hours last night, woke up to use the bathroom and fell back asleep before putting my mask on. So there is a gap between times when I had the mask on. Overall, I feel really good, but I still could not wake up at all this morning. It takes everything I have to get out of bed in the mornings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Zraigy

Welcome to the forum.

Your numbers have already improved with adopting Walla2 and S2S's suggestion. Your usage hours are pretty impressive too, so well done on that. If you can afford to sleep on in the mornings, ie if you do not have to wake up early for work, why not do so in order to catch up on your sleep debt? And if you do have to wake up early for work, then it will have to be a case of earlier to bed as I read that 7-9 hours sleep per night is recommended.

It is early in the process for you and it may take some months to recover from lost sleep/rest due to apnea.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome aboard Apnea Board.. 

It can take time before you start to see the full benefits of CPAP use.

Keep fine tuning as you go, and your body will start to recover as the treatment builds up the cumulative improvement over time.  

Peaceful sleep and awakening refreshed will come to you. 
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,618 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,475 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,869 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 235 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.