Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Acne From Straps?
Acne From Straps?
I am 54 years old and I am getting acne on my cheeks like a teenager.

I am not sure if it is from the straps. I am washing my face 2-3 times a day, and I have started on a topical antibiotic cream. I wash the strap twice a week.

I was diagnosed with low thyroid last fall and I have been taking Synthroid for a number of months. My T4 level is perfect now.

So I am not sure if the acne is from the straps, the thyroid, a combination of the two or something else.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Acne From Straps?
The thyroid is part of a glandular system in the body... Interacting with other glands.
I suspect the acne is more related to endocrinologic factors.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
maybe getting the thyroid hormone in line got some nice adolescent hormones moving Big Grin

seriously, hormone imbalance could be the issue - the endocrine system is a complex thing
depending on what it looks like, could be yeast, bacterial, psoriasis, rosacea, or a dozen other things. you should probably visit a dermatologist
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Player,

There is a type of acne called friction acne or acne mechanica. You can do a web search for that topic and also for acne/CPAP.

If that is the type you have, a cleanser or topical treatment with salicylic acid may help. (I like the Burt's Bees salicylic acid topical treatment in the little roller ball bottle.) An exfoliating cleanser (I use Neutrogena Wave) can also be helpful.

I'm about your age, but female. I just started using CPAP a couple of months ago. I got acne in the areas where my mask straps and the nasal cushion touched, but I am hoping that it was a transient thing, since I haven't had any new outbreaks for 2-3 weeks. Fingers crossed.

One problem I ran into while trying to get rid of my acne was letting my skin get too dry. That's not conducive to healing acne.

I have since bought some inexpensive oil-free, fragrance-free facial moisturizer (Trader Joe's brand) to use when I'm not wearing the CPAP mask.

If I have more acne problems, I probably am going to try something like putting a liner of old t-shirt material between the strap and my face.

Good luck. I hope you get your skin cleared up.

(03-11-2016, 11:57 PM)player Wrote: I am 54 years old and I am getting acne on my cheeks like a teenager.

I am not sure if it is from the straps. I am washing my face 2-3 times a day, and I have started on a topical antibiotic cream. I wash the strap twice a week.

I was diagnosed with low thyroid last fall and I have been taking Synthroid for a number of months. My T4 level is perfect now.

So I am not sure if the acne is from the straps, the thyroid, a combination of the two or something else.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 386 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 264 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] I have TMJ Syndrome and mask straps can aggravate it. KStanLD 7 999 07-14-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Uphold9887
  P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? Snorzz 11 2,797 05-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: maxquaas
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,485 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Sad Traction Alopecia & Mask Straps Mayoko 5 7,104 03-23-2023, 07:18 AM
Last Post: jrolli1509
  mask like a P10 with more robust straps? hegel 3 702 07-07-2021, 08:13 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.