Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Started having major leaks after 2 years
RE: Started having major leaks after 2 years
Can you post a typical chart or relate what your leak rate is (average, 95%, max)?
What size nasal pillow are you using? Have you tried the next larger size?

A chart would help because we can tell the source of the leak and make better recommendations.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully these will help give you a better picture. Let me know if I need to change scale etc.

Thanks

Charlie Sue

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It might be easir if you were to use imugr to post your sleepyhead report
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2017, 04:35 PM)Gary1of2 Wrote: It might be easir if you were to use imugr to post your sleepyhead report

Hopefully this is what you are asking for...not sure post op pain mgmt and learning how to use imgur go together Cool

Sat night #1

Sat night #2

Stats
Post Reply Post Reply
The leaks are almost certainly mouth leaks based on the ragged flat-topped leaks. They are mostly just below the large leak threshold. I'm glad you're not getting a dry mouth, but that is a lot of leaking that may be disruptive to sleep. The machine does not really seem to lose control as shown in your closeup of the flow rate. The respiratory flow is well defined here and surprisingly shows quite a bit of what appears to be obstructive flow limitation as indicated by the flat and downward sloping inspiratory peaks.

I think there are a couple things you can do to help be more comfortable. First, you are not using EPR. Your event rate is low, so I think you might find setting EPR to full time at 1 or 2 will lower pressure on each exhale. That may help you to control the pressure better, and might improve the flow limitation on inhale. Be aware your tongue being firmly along the roof of your mouth and if your jaw tends to drop, we need to find a way to comfortably give support. Some people use a soft cervical collar with success, but I'm aware of your sensitivity to too much stuff and claustrophobia.

On these charts it would really help if you included the left statistics pane with the settings and respiratory data.

[Image: 0bmpqNG.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at our signatures ther is a link that will help you post the data in a better format.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2017, 08:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think there are a couple things you can do to help be more comfortable.  First, you are not using EPR.  Your event rate is low, so I think you might find setting EPR to full time at 1 or 2 will lower pressure on each exhale.  That may help you to control the pressure better, and might improve the flow limitation on inhale.  Be aware your tongue being firmly along the roof of your mouth and if your jaw tends to drop, we need to find a way to comfortably give support. Some people use a soft cervical collar with success, but I'm aware of your sensitivity to too much stuff and claustrophobia.  

Thanks for your response. I thought I had the tongue on the roof of mouth thing down, but something has clearly changed. I set the EPR to 2 and I ordered a cervical collar. I will try those two things for a couple weeks and repost. 

I do have one question though. What does this mean in simpler terms?

"...surprisingly shows quite a bit of what appears to be obstructive flow limitation as indicated by the flat and downward sloping inspiratory peaks."

Charlie Sue
Post Reply Post Reply
Inspriatory flow limitation is an increasing resistance in the upper airway that slows the rate and volume of inhalation. It is a common component of upper airway restriction syndrome (UARS) and can be disruptive to sleep and cause oxygen desaturation without apnea or hypopnea. A good discussion of this is in Robysue's Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead in my signature links http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...imitations

If you look at Robysue's article, you will see some graphic examples of flow limitation. Your FL is not very severe, but it seems to be persistent. Flow limitation can be specifically treated in bilevel PAP therapy by increasing the difference between inspiratory IPAP and expiratory EPAP pressure (pressure support). We can also use the EPR in your Airsense 10 autoset to do the same trick. By increasing EPR we increase what is known as pressure support in bilevel. We may need to offset the reduction in EPAP pressure by increasing the minimum pressure, and we will know that by observing your response to the increased EPR.

I know this has not been the best plain English explanation, but hopefully it gives a clearer idea of a rather technical area of sleep disordered breathing. Links to a couple more articles follow. Keep asking questions, and I'll eventually get my plain English mojo on.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4688581/
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2017, 10:19 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I know this has not been the best plain English explanation, but hopefully it gives a clearer idea of a rather technical area of sleep disordered breathing.  Links to a couple more articles follow.  Keep asking questions, and I'll eventually get my plain English mojo on.

Sleeprider, your plain English has adequately illuminated the concept. Thank-you. I am beating my head on the desk, but hey, that is sometimes the price of enlightenment. My pressures are quite low 7 minimum and 10 maximum. I did set the EPAP to 2 last night. I will work on my leaks and post some new graphs in a week or so. I am taking those $25 pills to stay awake. It sounds as if there is at least some hope that making some changes in my therapy could have an impact on my sleep and how I feel and maybe I can ditch the drugs at some point. If it comes to that, it will be an uphill battle to convince my doc, but it will save me a lot of money.

I really do appreciate your patience.

Charlie Sue
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 46 7 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 69 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 87 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 4 194 03-09-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 144 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.