Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Started using CPAP treatment
Question 
Started using CPAP treatment
Just spent the second night on my CPAP. I am a bit confused about the terms "Events Per Hour" and "AHI". The display shows 23.2 Events/Hr but 14.4 AHI. Aren't these two supposed to mean the same thing. If not, then how the events/hr is converted to AHI? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Started using CPAP treatment
(11-22-2015, 01:40 PM)indijones Wrote: Just spent the second night on my CPAP. I am a bit confused about the terms "Events Per Hour" and "AHI". The display shows 23.2 Events/Hr but 14.4 AHI. Aren't these two supposed to mean the same thing. If not, then how the events/hr is converted to AHI? Thanks!

How long did you sleep with the mask on?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi indijones,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Open up SleepyHead and click on the "Daily" tab at the top. Then, on the left side, click on "Events". That will show you all the events the software has recorded. You'll discover that the software is recording more than just apneas and hypopneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2015, 01:40 PM)indijones Wrote: Just spent the second night on my CPAP. I am a bit confused about the terms "Events Per Hour" and "AHI". The display shows 23.2 Events/Hr but 14.4 AHI. Aren't these two supposed to mean the same thing. If not, then how the events/hr is converted to AHI? Thanks!
Scroll down the screen Sleep Report and change Period to "1 Day" (default 1 Month) and you'll see both "events per hour" and AHI read the same
Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the Airsense record RERAs (Respiratory Effort-Related Arousals) as events? They are not included in AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
The A10 records RERAs. The AHI is the number of apneas or hypopneas recorded during the study per hour of sleep. It is generally expressed as the number of events per hour. Sometimes the Respiratory Disturbance Index (RDI) is used. This can be confusing because the RDI includes not only apneas and hypopneas, but may also include other, more subtle, breathing irregularities such as RERAs. This means a person's RDI can be higher than his or her AHI.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys for your responses. I was having issues with sleepyhead failing to save patient profile. So I downloaded ResScan which is working just fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings indijones;

Interesting that Sleepyhead would not save the patient profile. There is a very good instruction for it on this site (which you have probably referred to).

Since I dislike ResScan and do not think it give the quality of info that Sleepyhead does, my personal take is go back to Sleepyhead and work with it some more.

Regardless, SO glad you are using the XPAP! Keep on keeping on!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
1. Does the A10 Elite show RERA's? 2. I've seen the definition of RERA's in the Wiki but can someone explain what it is and what causes it in layman's terms, or is it just plain unknown cause?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 61 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 214 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 125 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 284 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 200 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,069 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.