Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Started wheezing after first night on CPAP with humidity. Anyone else?
Started wheezing after first night on CPAP with humidity. Anyone else?
I haven't wheezed at all in the last 2½ years until the day after my first night on CPAP, which also included humidity, and then again after the third night when I used humidity again. I didn't use humidity on the second night and didn't wheeze the day after.

It's a small wheeze on exhalation. I might be starting to get sick, not sure yet. Feel bad and fatigued with a tight chest and small cough. I think it is too much of a coincidence that it happened after first night of CPAP. And then again after the third night.

Anyone else have this situation?

My apnea is mild to moderate, have probably had it undiagnosed for decades, with pre-CPAP AHI of 9.8 (REM index of 50.6, nonREM 2.9) and first two nights with CPAP around 2 ½, and last night a 5.91. Last night I was trying to sleep more on my back to prepare for when I have surgery in 2 months and will have to sleep supine or sitting up for 6 weeks.

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."
Victor Hugo
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Started wheezing after first night on CPAP with humidity. Anyone else?
Hi, Kris. I don't know what humidity setting you used last night. Maybe you can turn it down to the lowest setting? (I'm guessing that you've already thought of this.) Another option would be to fill the water tank but to leave the humidifier on "off".

I think I remember that you found CPAP with no humidity at all to be too drying?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Started wheezing after first night on CPAP with humidity. Anyone else?
Green wings, thanks for your reply. The first night humidity was set at 8, second night turned off with no water in the tub, third at 6. First night the ClimateLine Air hose temperature was at the highest, 86 degrees, and third night I set it to lowest, 60 degrees, since I like the air cool.

I didn't have dry mouth for the 1st and 3rd nights, like I had before CPAP, but I did have it on night 2 when I had turned the humidity off. I woke up anyway on nights 1 and 3, even without dry mouth, awake enough to have to go to the bathroom, which I hadn't done in a long time. Woke up a bunch more times, took drinks.

I am going to ask the DME tomorrow for a chip strap to use, even with the FFM. Maybe if I don't breath through my mouth, but mostly only through my nose, that might lessen the humidity's effect on my lungs, if there is such an effect. I will also wait a few nights, then maybe try the nasal pillows that the DME gave me as a sample. I would use them with the chinstrap.

If I am still wheezing tomorrow, I might call my sleep doctor (pulmonologist) to see what he says.

I also will lower the humidity again tonight, perhaps down to a 4.

So many variables...
"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."
Victor Hugo
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,129 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 232 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 878 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.