Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting APAP treament very soon, advice?
Starting APAP treament very soon, advice?
Hello, gang -

I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea a few weeks ago. I had the initial sleep study, but no titration study. I visited my pulmonologist yesterday, and knowing that I didn't have a titration study scheduled and that I wanted to begin treatment ASAP, he obliged by prescribing a ResMed AirSense A10 AutoSet!!! WooHoo! 

I will be picking up my new best friend tomorrow morning! So my question is, once I'm sure that it's a new machine and have it home, do you have any advice on how to proceed? He prescribed a pressure range of 5 - 20. I know the DME will give me their spiel, but I was looking for insider tips.

If you are feeling impatient and just want to point me to a link or Youtube video that will help a total newbie navigate the process, please feel free to do so. 

If you have any personal tips or tricks you'd be willing to share, I'd love to hear that, too! 

Thanks in advance for any help, you guys! I know that it takes a while to be 100% successful, but after (unknowingly) living with this condition for so long, I am determined to make it work!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Starting APAP treament very soon, advice?
Recommend you buy yourself a SD card for your Air Sense 10. That way you can record detail data and view it on sleepyhead software. The link for the software is below. Also you'll need a card reader for the SD card if your computer doesn't already have one. Once you've used the machine a couple of days you can post a couple of charts here for feed back. Also review some of the links at the top for good info on starting out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Walla Walla!
Post Reply Post Reply
you're starting with a great attitude. that'll take you far, especially if you are not one of the lucky ones that takes right to it. finding the right mask, taming leaks and various irritations, and optimizing pressure settings can be a slog for some. here's hoping it comes easy to you. many of us have asked the same questions you are when we first arrived here, only to find there's no one quick and easy way to gain the knowledge you're looking for. best to take it kind of slow. search and read everything you have time for. lots of resources available on this site and many many threads addressing practically any issue you might come across, and then some. once you get some machine time under your belt, post your sleepyhead charts for folks to respond to. you'll probably get some good suggestions following your initial post but because there are a multitude of topics folks could offer tips about, it would help if you could pose specific questions based on what you've read, heard or otherwise anticipate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome. I'll keep that in mind, sheepless! Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a lot of good info in this Wiki article.
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success

You are off to a great start.
FIRST, check your machine to see that it has zero hours.  You do not want a used machine.

Your settings are 5-20, this is to trial the machine and see what works. Expect the need to change these settings, and don't be surprised if you are uncomfortable with them at times, this is normal, try to note what is uncomfortable and when.

It sounds like you have a winner with your pulmonologist and (for now) I would not recommend changing his settings for a while.

That said follow Walla's post and download Sleepyhead and install it on your computer.  This will allow you to post and print detailed data to talk over with your doctor.  By posting those charts we can help you with talking points for your Dr.
Get a full copy of your sleep study(s) (not just the summary) to keep for your personal records and to post here.  It will help us to understand your apnea.

Stay in touch with the forum, collectively we have had every issue around apnea that you have never thought of having and will help you through them.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have the ClimateLine heated hose and humidifier, I would recommend using Auto climate control. Also, you can warm up the humidifier 30 minutes before you need to use your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the responses above. You have the right machine, the right attitude, right software, and I think this should all go well. Don't expect miracles. It takes time to recover your sleep deficiency, and to work through the adaptation issues. It might not be long before this just becomes part of your life.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, don't be the least bit put off by your first, second, and third nights' experiences.  They may dismay you...happened to me. I'm reasonably intelligent, have a good bit of life experience, and thought I could imagine how the unit would feel as and after I fell asleep.  WRONGOOoooo…!!

Anything you experience that you would classify as adverse is likely to be correctable, even if it takes a couple of nights of trials...or more.  Be patient, both with yourself and with the equipment.  You'll get a lot of help here dialing in your treatment settings and fitting of masks, types of masks, and ancillary equipment.

I wish you deep breaths.  Tons o' 'em.
Post Reply Post Reply
All the above is all I can say. Best to ya on success. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 104 Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 24 1,056 04-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,047 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 3 185 04-22-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: joedes
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 159 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 119 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 200 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.