Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting [CPAP] Tonight
Starting [CPAP] Tonight
I just wanted to say Hi to everyone.  I've lurked here for a couple of days after my sleep study,  just reading a little bit and learning what I can.  

I don't really have any questions at this point, as I don't even really know what to ask.  My DME supplier provided me with my equipment today and I will try wearing it tonight.  It's seems pretty straightforward.  I have watched my father go through this process and while he resisted at first (decade or so ago) he now swears by it and says it has helped him a lot.  

I like technology, and I like to understand how things work.  I've read the manuals for my machine.  Found the guides here on this site as well.  

My provider seems pleasant and I will work with her to find the best mask.  She sent me home with the one I listed and gave me a cushion and a pillow to try.  She said if I didn't like it to not wait until my followup, but rather to call and come in to try other masks.  I chose the Dreamwear because of things I'd read here, my Dad likes it, and it seemed to be fairly comfortable when they tried it on me.  But it was a very odd sensation to have air blowing in my nose.  

I have a open mind and am wrapping my head around all the changes that are going on with my health and trying to make the best of it.  

Sorry for rambling.  I just wanted to start a dialog and have a place to ask questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Starting Tonight
Welcome
You have an excellent machine.  I will suggest that you download #SleepyHead software to help in analyzing your sleep sessions.  The download link is embedded in the name.   Also, check to see if your machine was supplied with an SD card.  You will need it to download your data to a PC.  If you don't have one, any size SD card 2Gb or larger will work.  They can be purchased just about anywhere. . . The same applies for a USB card reader if you need one.  The SD card does not have to come from the CPAP manufacturer.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I do have a SD card installed. My provider indicated that she wanted me to bring the entire machine in for my first-followup but that after that point, I would likely only need to bring in the SD card. She seemed to place a significant emphasis on the fact that my insurance provider (Regence) required me to "Rent" the machine for a period of 10 months and that it was compliance driven as she demonstrated how to insert and remove the SD card.

I have the software you suggested downloaded. None of it makes much sense to me right now... I am sure I will learn as I go. I have a fairly strong technology background so getting the data onto the computer shouldn't be too big of an issue..

Understanding what it all means may be a different story.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please upload your daily charts, they will tell us a lot.
See my signature for how.

For basic (and not so basic) info read the links in my signature. A lot of info there, and by all means, ask questions, lots of them.

oh, and welcome to the forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board,  RustySocket. Congratulations on getting a great machine.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well the first night was interesting. I'm sure that is the case for many people. It was difficult to fall asleep. I prefer to sleep on my side, but I attempted to sleep on my back. I felt like the mask was leaking, but then realized that it has some vent holes and that they were blowing air. This sensation was more noticible when I layed on my side. I only woke up twice to use the restroom, which is less than normal for me. Once around 2am and again at around 5am. Normally I am out of bed between 5 and 6 am anyway, but I did go back to sleep for another hour because I felt like it. Both times after getting out of bed, I had no difficulty falling back asleep. I did struggle with getting the mask back on for a moment but got it figured out.

My machine seems to have Auto On enabled because I realized that it started on its own once I began breathing through the mask. ( I have now verified this is the case by looking at the setup menus)
It does not have Auto Off enabled. I am curious why it is setup this way...
When I do get up in the middle of the night I guess I will have to remember to push the off bar. Which is no big deal.

I removed the SD card and locked it. I imported the data into Sleapyhead. At this point it really doesn't mean much to me because I don't really know what I am looking at and what is/is not significant. I do enjoy pondering through data though and I have taught myself how to tune cars by reviewing datalogs, same concept I just have to wrap my head around what the parameters that are being monitored mean.

I will review the links provided by @bonjour and eventually post my data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Starting [CPAP] Tonight
Welcome RustySocket, you found the right place to learn, share and get the most out of your therapy. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RustySocket,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I followed one of the guides to setup Sleepyhead. I was unable to find the graph for flow limit. I posted a question about how to resolve this in the software section.

This is what I have so far:
[Image: BcpRhIj.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Reconfigured Display.
[Image: M1JsWgY.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 675 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  iNAP First Night Test Tonight (Running with APAP) Apnea23 4 1,217 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 636 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 477 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 404 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.