Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting My Therapy
RE: Starting My Therapy
(06-29-2015, 02:58 PM)AlanE Wrote: I don't have the full report from the titration. Just the interpretation from the initial sleep study.

My pre-sleep study (overnight oximetry) showed my O2 dropping below 89% for 25% of the time.

For the PSG the O2 was not that terrible at all:
The average SaO2 was 97%. Average desaturation was 4%
Lowest desaturation was 88%
Length of time below 89% 0.6 minutes.

I am a little bit confused.

Have you or anyone else done overnight oximetry studies since going back on CPAP recently?

Without the titration report in your possession, do you perhaps know what it reported as your recommended pressure?

There should also be a separate report written by a board-certified sleep physician interpreting the sleep study and titration performed as well as said doctor's recommended pressure.
Huhsign

Going back on CPAP? First started therapy 3 months ago and have been on it since.
Why assume there is one recommended pressure?
Why assume no report exists?
What reason would anyone order another overnight oximetry?

Dont-know

I was told, after my titration, that I responded favorably to all pressure adjustments. I would assume, it is why my doctor prescribed an APAP with a range instead of a CPAP with a fixed pressure.

I don't get the meaning behind your questioning?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
(06-29-2015, 06:30 PM)AlanE Wrote: Huhsign

Going back on CPAP? First started therapy 3 months ago and have been on it since.
Why assume there is one recommended pressure?
Why assume no report exists?
What reason would anyone order another overnight oximetry?

Dont-know

I was told, after my titration, that I responded favorably to all pressure adjustments. I would assume, it is why my doctor prescribed an APAP with a range instead of a CPAP with a fixed pressure.

I don't get the meaning behind your questioning?

Whenever one is titrated at the lab, they have to come up with either an 'optimal', 'good' or 'adequate' fixed pressure. This is required by the Clinical Guidelines

It is always a fixed pressure, though physician can choose to prescribe an Auto range of pressures.

some sort of guidelines that were submitted for publication in 2008?

Alan, have a nice time. You are getting prescribed treatment, and you are being smart and involved with your own therapy. You are checking things with health professionals.

And, learning what you can from an educational source online.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Huhsign Oh, pardon me! Did I say something wrong? Unsure
Not at all, just you seem like you are trying to make a point?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
I do not understand the cynical comments I have received in this thread.

The point is that if one undergoes a titration study one is given the benefit of a recommended fixed pressure under laboratory conditions to cover worst case scenarios (supine and in REM). It assures that AHI is <5 (if optimal pressure) along with adequate sats and no desats <90%.

That optimal pressure defines the best overall starting recommended pressure for YOU! Why the hostility?

The thread has omitted to discuss what the optimal recommended pressure was and I don't believe one should take it lightly- it should be given considerable weight. It seems that relying on SH does not tell the entire story without knowledge of the optimal pressure.
(06-30-2015, 02:47 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: That optimal pressure defines the best overall starting recommended pressure for YOU! Why the hostility?

The thread has omitted to discuss what the optimal recommended pressure was and I don't believe one should take it lightly- it should be given considerable weight. It seems that relying on SH does not tell the entire story without knowledge of the optimal pressure.

Some of the people on this forum have found that the one night titration was just not sufficient to arrive at pressures that achieved optimal results. So some tend to look at the titration with a jaundiced eye. Sleep labs, it seems, like DMEs vary a lot when it comes to the results they deliver. Some are great and some not so much.

Sleepyhead with a full data reporting machine can lead one to the optimal pressure. I have come to believe that should be backed up by recorded oximetry to insure that the optimal settings for apnea events is not allowing desats that might be undesirable.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
I feel deprived... my doc did not find a titration study to be necessary. A home study determined, that yes I have apnea, and an auto pap decides my pressure. The doc likes the ranges wide, especially on the upper end, and I don't wake at all with pressure changes so that is where it is.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
(06-30-2015, 04:38 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 02:47 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: That optimal pressure defines the best overall starting recommended pressure for YOU! Why the hostility?

Sleepyhead with a full data reporting machine can lead one to the optimal pressure. I have come to believe that should be backed up by recorded oximetry to insure that the optimal settings for apnea events is not allowing desats that might be undesirable.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I for the most part agree with the above statement because reliance on SleepyHead alone will never, according to the Clincial Guidelines, be able to lead one to the CLINICALLY optimal pressure.

See the below titration chart.

If I had had no titration study and auto-titrated CPAP and then used SleepyHead there is little doubt that my average pressure may have been as low as 7cm, because my RDI was 3.3 at that pressure.

The titration study took into account all-important minimum sats resulting in an optimal pressure of 12cm.

In fact, one can glean from the Guideliness that min sats must be at least 90% even in an 'adequate' titration where RDI can be as high as 15, or a 75% reduction of baseline RDI.

So, minimum sats of 90% is to a degree arguably MORE IMPORTANT than RDI . Gotta have those Sa02 min sats at or above 90%! SleepHead doesn't report that information.

[Image: 8932ffad-1373-4835-8e9e-005ab489b133_zpscula7hy8.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 25 986 2 hours ago
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 843 11 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 178 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 259 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.