Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting Treatment
Starting Treatment
Will be spending my first night on APAP tomorrow. What would be your tips/suggestions/advice/tricks/recommendations/etc. to ensure a successful start to treatment?

I had to throw under the bus a buy a machine out of pocket rather than do a trial first, so I want to make sure I'll stick to it and get the best possible results to justify the $$$ and for my well-being. I'm going at this pretty much on my own... no sleep doc, no DME, just me, Dr. Google, and the wonderful folks on this forum, so any help is appreciated.

Wish me luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Starting Treatment
Hi Geniale,
Good luck to you on your first night with your CPAP machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would say try to make yourself as comfortable as possible. Have some tea before bed (SleepyTime is a good brand), and/or don't be averse to trying an OTC sleep aid such as melatonin or Simply Sleep, which is basically just the antihistamine Benadryl.

Try wearing the mask for a little while before actually getting in bed, or while sitting up in bed if you don't have a chair nearby. Sit in the dark and focus on breathing normally - just let it happen, and don't force breathing. Think positive about the whole experience, "I'm helping myself live a better life and be healthier," "I will wake up and feel better than I have in a long time," etc.

Last but not least, download the free Sleepyhead software (link at top of page) and start learning how to analyze the data from your machine's SD card. Most of us on here are experienced in looking at our data and interpreting it, so this is a great place to ask questions and learn.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2016, 06:00 PM)Possum Wrote: Try wearing the mask for a little while before actually getting in bed, or while sitting up in bed if you don't have a chair nearby. Sit in the dark and focus on breathing normally - just let it happen, and don't force breathing. Think positive about the whole experience, "I'm helping myself live a better life and be healthier," "I will wake up and feel better than I have in a long time," etc.

Thank you for the great advice. I like to read in bed prior to sleeping, I suppose it would be good to wear the mask while doing that in order to get used to breathing with it. I am already convinced that the treatment can only be beneficial, I can't really feel worse than I already do!

(02-01-2016, 06:00 PM)Possum Wrote: Last but not least, download the free Sleepyhead software (link at top of page) and start learning how to analyze the data from your machine's SD card. Most of us on here are experienced in looking at our data and interpreting it, so this is a great place to ask questions and learn.

I have downloaded and installed the software. To download the information, will I need to actually place the SD card in my computer or should I be able to access it via Bluetooth (I've already paired the devices)

Also, do you have any recommendations as to what humidifier and flex settings I should begin with (I have heated humidifier and heated tube)? I've set the device to APAP with min. pressure at 5 and max. at 20 as per my prescription, but I have no idea what to start with for the more customizable features.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Just relax and don't panic if it doesn't go well at 1st. It is a slow learning process. Don't get discouraged and be sure to report in daily with any issues or progress as help is just a keystroke away.............Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
A-Flex and humidifier in the middle which would be 2 for flex and 2 or 3 for the humidifier. If you find the air to warm, change tube setting to 1. If it's too damp, lower the humidifier setting. For opposite... well, do the opposite.
With such a low starting pressure, I suggest Ramp Off. Using ramp would drop the starting pressure to 4.
For many people, 4 that does not give enough flow to breath in comfortably. In fact, I would not be surprise if you find yourself lacking air at 5. If so, you may want to up it to 6. Than again, 5 or even 4 may be perfectly comfortable to you.
Next day, have a look at the 90% pressure. If it gets into higher numbers, you may want to start using the ramp.
Also, keep in mind that Respironics is a little slow adjusting the pressure up. In return, it lacks the aggressive pressure changes that disturb sleep. Some people, including myself) find that the best results are achieved with the low limit set to about 2cmH2O below the 90% pressure. Some, not all. May or may not work for you. It works for me.
Everybody is different and you have to find what works for you.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get a good feel for CPAP by wearing it before it's time to go to sleep. Much easier to change things when it's not keeping you awake. Prep by installing sleephead software (free) so you can look at what the machine is doing. You can also show the experts here for feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I have downloaded and installed the software. To download the information, will I need to actually place the SD card in my computer or should I be able to access it via Bluetooth (I've already paired the devices)

Just curious, what machine\what are your 'paring too' via bluetooth?

[edit] - nvm see you can get a bluetooth module for the System One. Neat.
Post Reply Post Reply
the Bluetooth as far as I know is only for sending basic "feel good" info to your smart phone and not transferring data.
you need a SD card reader, under $10 all over the place. Don't forget to slide the lock tab on the card and unlock it before putting it back in the CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!

Just got back from the DME and bought and Eson nasal mask. It was pretty comfortable, we'll see if the headgear give me a headache or not... the consult was pretty much a waste of time except for being able to try on a few masks (1 nasal and 2 nasal pillow). The pillows made me feel a little 'panicky' not sure why. Any info I got on the masks were from the questions I asked otherwise it was just 'try this on'. And, even though he was polite about it, I could sense that he really didn't like the fact that I'd bought my machine online! The Eson was the only nasal they had, and a small fit perfectly (I think), we'll see about leaks tonight and wearing it lying down.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 281 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 197 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,022 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 583 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.