Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting my ASV journey
RE: Starting my ASV journey
I know the ASV is magic I love it 

I found some ASV S9's (Machine only no PSU or Humidifier - I dont use a humidifer and bought a clone power supply from Amazon for £20) availiable on DOTMED (Google it Gary got his from the same place) I now have 3 (at $150 each too good an offer to miss) One for home one for my digs in Ireland where I fly to and work every other week that saves me carrying one as carry on and a spare I'm setup for the next 15 yrs Smile

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
I first started cpap treatment with a Resmed Airsense Autoset, then went to an S-10 Aircurve Vauto, then to the ASV.  Before my doctor (who is Board Certified in sleep medicine), would give me an Rx for an ASV machine, I had to agree to drop my nasal pillow mask and go to a full face mask.  He said the reason is that the ASV machines utilize to great a pressure for the nasal masks to handle.  I think he was correct because I use the F20 full face mask, and I still have some leakage at the higher pressures.  I really hate to ratchet the mask straps so tight that it practically cuts off circulation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 01:39 PM)jerrydaw Wrote: I first started cpap treatment with a Resmed Airsense Autoset, then went to an S-10 Aircurve Vauto, then to the ASV.  Before my doctor (who is Board Certified in sleep medicine), would give me an Rx for an ASV machine, I had to agree to drop my nasal pillow mask and go to a full face mask.  He said the reason is that the ASV machines utilize to great a pressure for the nasal masks to handle.  I think he was correct because I use the F20 full face mask, and I still have some leakage at the higher pressures.  I really hate to ratchet the mask straps so tight that it practically cuts off circulation.

Jerry, lots of ASV users could prove your doctor wrong, and are using the Airfit P10 with ASV.  It's more of an individual thing whether it will work.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 01:39 PM)jerrydaw Wrote: I first started cpap treatment with a Resmed Airsense Autoset, then went to an S-10 Aircurve Vauto, then to the ASV.  Before my doctor (who is Board Certified in sleep medicine), would give me an Rx for an ASV machine, I had to agree to drop my nasal pillow mask and go to a full face mask.  He said the reason is that the ASV machines utilize to great a pressure for the nasal masks to handle.  I think he was correct because I use the F20 full face mask, and I still have some leakage at the higher pressures.  I really hate to ratchet the mask straps so tight that it practically cuts off circulation.

I am using P10's and it works fine for me I have a few leaks at the highest pressures but that is mouth leaks rather than the pillows as if I look at the flow I exhale out of my mouth or leak air when the pressures max, I actually dropped the max PS to 15 from 16  and that helped my leaks no end without affecting AHI's
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO the mask type is more dependent on the individual and not the machine type. Depending on individual mask preference, you may need to increase your patience and diligence level to get it to minimize leaks and maximize comfort. I have yet to try pillows or nasal styles. Call me lazy I guess. I got the F20 AirFit to work very well, and I'm not in the experimental mood right now.

jaswilliams, you got an ASV store going there...

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jason thanks so much for the ASV info. Thank all of you guys for what you are doing.
You aren't rid of me yet, I am sure I will be back.
Post Reply Post Reply
sleeprider thanks for pointing out the epap. I am going to run with this for 3-4 nights and then I will try min epap 12.5
Post Reply Post Reply

Not true, my DME tried telling me the same B.S. and had me also agree to use the FFM the F20.. I never used the thing and ordered a P10 on my own and it's the best mask I have ever had, little to no leaks and very comfortable after the breaking in period during the first couple nights ... I later returned to the DME to discuss treatment and they were talking about my results all under 5 some nights 1 and under in a 2 week period ... They even said to me *see how good the F20 is working and hardly any leaks, imagine if you used a pillow mask how horrible it would have been* idiots I have been using the P10 the whole time, I didn't want to tell them that because they're so against any pillow mask on any BiLevel machine and it's not worth the fight ... Pillows work fine on ASV and high pressures... It's untrue they leak and don't work .. I am proof of success...
Post Reply Post Reply
bts1
I agree that the pillows are the most (p10) comfortable. I think once I have had time to recover on the ASV with the F20 airfit that I will find a way to make then work. It is just a matter of trial and error. Mine did not really show more leaks at high pressure just leaks all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Backup ASV Machine
Since I purchased a used machine with 2400 hrs on it, I was wondering if I need a backup machine.
I have found the following machines that I can afford and was wondering which would be best. I currently have the 36037 S9 VPAP Adapt, they don't have that model any more
36008A VPAP ST
36039 VPAP ST-A with ivaps -- I think this one will auto titrate
36007 VPAP Adapt -- does not auto titrate.

What do you think the best machine would be, if I should worry about a backup?

TIA
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 62 7 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 5 71 10 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 1 95 10 hours ago
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 20 885 10 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 6 154 Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 168 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Starting Again wxmcpo 10 140 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.