Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting my ASV journey
RE: Starting my ASV journey
(05-01-2018, 01:33 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: I know the ASV is magic I love it 

I found some ASV S9's (Machine only no PSU or Humidifier - I dont use a humidifer and bought a clone power supply from Amazon for £20) availiable on DOTMED (Google it Gary got his from the same place) I now have 3 (at $150 each too good an offer to miss) One for home one for my digs in Ireland where I fly to and work every other week that saves me carrying one as carry on and a spare I'm setup for the next 15 yrs Smile

Jason

jason don't you need a backup for the one in Ireland? Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
My Husband is brand knew with all this and so am I ,, ok so the DME his Doctors office wanted us to work with says my Husband needs a Respironics Dreamstation ASV
but when i had his Doctor's office send over his prescription to me it states Aircurve ASV.
Is there a big difference between the two ,or is it just personal preference ?

His Doctor recommends ;
Aircurve ASV
6 cm H20 EPAP
3-15 cm H20 PS

btw which we have no idea what those numbers even mean!!!

Are both those type of machines auto and do they both have cards?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backup ASV Machine
(05-02-2018, 09:32 AM)gwc2795 Wrote: Since I purchased a used machine with 2400 hrs on it, I was wondering if I need a backup machine.
I have found the following machines that I can afford and was wondering which would be best. I currently have the 36037 S9 VPAP Adapt, they don't have that model any more
36008A VPAP ST
36039 VPAP ST-A with ivaps -- I think this one will auto titrate
36007 VPAP Adapt -- does not auto titrate.

What do you think the best machine would be, if I should worry about a backup?

TIA

Hold off on a purchase until exactly the right machine comes along. The ST and ST-A are not appropriate, and the older Adapt is too dated.  Supplier #2 frequently has deals, and he will put you on a list for the right machine at the right price when it comes in; otherwise, keep an eye out on Craigslist.  I think Supplier gets $2150 for a new Aircurve 10 ASV, but often has good deals on older Aircurves and S9 Adapt models. Your machine should last a very long time. Design life is over 15000 hours, so don't rush into anything, and consider saving for newer machine that is everything you want.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 06:40 PM)BTS1 Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 01:39 PM)jerrydaw Wrote: I first started cpap treatment with a Resmed Airsense Autoset, then went to an S-10 Aircurve Vauto, then to the ASV.  Before my doctor (who is Board Certified in sleep medicine), would give me an Rx for an ASV machine, I had to agree to drop my nasal pillow mask and go to a full face mask.  He said the reason is that the ASV machines utilize to great a pressure for the nasal masks to handle.  I think he was correct because I use the F20 full face mask, and I still have some leakage at the higher pressures.  I really hate to ratchet the mask straps so tight that it practically cuts off circulation.

Not true, my DME tried telling me the same B.S. and had me also agree to use the FFM the F20.. I never used the thing and ordered a P10 on my own and it's the best mask I have ever had, little to no leaks and very comfortable after the breaking in period during the first couple nights ... I later returned to the DME to discuss treatment and they were talking about my results all under 5 some nights 1 and under in a 2 week period ... They even said to me *see how good the F20 is working and hardly any leaks, imagine if you used a pillow mask how horrible it would have been* idiots I have been using the P10 the whole time, I didn't want to tell them that because they're so against any pillow mask on any BiLevel machine and it's not worth the fight ... Pillows work fine on ASV and high pressures... It's untrue they leak and don't work .. I am proof of success...

You're too kind. I'd have told the DME/RT about how wrong they are about the P10, etc. Why not educate them so they might know what they're saying currently is actually wrong?

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2018, 12:20 PM)Punky Wrote: My Husband is brand knew with all this and so am I ,, ok so the DME his Doctors office wanted us to work with says my Husband needs a Respironics Dreamstation ASV
but when i had his Doctor's office send over his prescription to me it states Aircurve ASV.

His Doctor recommends ;
Aircurve ASV
6 cm H20 EPAP
3-15 cm H20 PS

To answer the questions, the difference between the Respironics DreamStation ASV and ResMed AirCurve is partly a personal preference. In my opinion, these are the 2 top ASV choices currently. I have, and prefer the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, for myself. I believe it responds better and gives more natural therapy feel. There is nothing wrong with Respironics, but I chose ResMed.

Now, the doc involved has stated AirCurve on the script, and I think the DME cannot change that or the settings listed either. Speaking of the numbers, those are the pressure settings the doc has prescribed. 6 cm H2O EPAP is the low setting that will be what the user exhales on. The 3-15 cm H20 PS is a range of pressures that add onto the EPAP to give an IPAP number (inhaling and also provides keeping throat open, etc.).

I'll end my comment this way, if it were me, I'd demand the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. At least in your case, the doc is, again in my opinion, choosing the better of 2 great machines.

Best to your husband's treatment successes.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2018, 03:41 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 06:40 PM)BTS1 Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 01:39 PM)jerrydaw Wrote: I first started cpap treatment with a Resmed Airsense Autoset, then went to an S-10 Aircurve Vauto, then to the ASV.  Before my doctor (who is Board Certified in sleep medicine), would give me an Rx for an ASV machine, I had to agree to drop my nasal pillow mask and go to a full face mask.  He said the reason is that the ASV machines utilize to great a pressure for the nasal masks to handle.  I think he was correct because I use the F20 full face mask, and I still have some leakage at the higher pressures.  I really hate to ratchet the mask straps so tight that it practically cuts off circulation.

Not true, my DME tried telling me the same B.S. and had me also agree to use the FFM the F20.. I never used the thing and ordered a P10 on my own and it's the best mask I have ever had, little to no leaks and very comfortable after the breaking in period during the first couple nights ... I later returned to the DME to discuss treatment and they were talking about my results all under 5 some nights 1 and under in a 2 week period ... They even said to me *see how good the F20 is working and hardly any leaks, imagine if you used a pillow mask how horrible it would have been* idiots I have been using the P10 the whole time, I didn't want to tell them that because they're so against any pillow mask on any BiLevel machine and it's not worth the fight ... Pillows work fine on ASV and high pressures... It's untrue they leak and don't work .. I am proof of success...

You're too kind. I'd have told the DME/RT about how wrong they are about the P10, etc. Why not educate them so they might know what they're saying currently is actually wrong?

Coffee

I tried when it first came up and they treated me like I knew nothing and kept saying all sorts of ignorant bs, they wouldn't listen so I gave up .. plus I think they have some mass supply of FFMs they're trying to get rid of so will try anything to do so..

(05-02-2018, 03:57 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 12:20 PM)Punky Wrote: My Husband is brand knew with all this and so am I ,, ok so the DME his Doctors office wanted us to work with says my Husband needs a Respironics Dreamstation ASV

His Doctor recommends ;
Aircurve ASV
6 cm H20 EPAP
3-15 cm H20 PS

This may get better support and more looks in it's own thread. But to answer the questions regardless, the difference between the Respironics DreamStation ASV and ResMed AirCurve is partly a personal preference. In my opinion, these are the 2 top ASV choices currently. I have, and prefer the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, for myself. I believe it responds better and gives more natural therapy feel. There is nothing wrong with Respironics, but I chose ResMed.

Now, the doc involved has stated AirCurve on the script, and I think the DME cannot change that or the settings listed either. Speaking of the numbers, those are the pressure settings the doc has prescribed. 6 cm H2O EPAP is the low setting that will be what the user exhales on. The 3-15 cm H20 PS is a range of pressures that add onto the EPAP to give an IPAP number (inhaling and also provides keeping throat open, etc.).

I'll end my comment this way, if it were me, I'd demand the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. At least in your case, the doc is, again in my opinion, choosing the better of 2 great machines.

Best to your husband's treatment successes.

Coffee

Agree so much on this... The AirCurve ASV is an amazing machine.  The best out there IMO and has been treating me so well ...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hypopnea
I would appreciate some advice on lowering my hypopnea. I know they are low but I feel so much better when I can get the AHI under 1.

[attachment=5893]
[attachment=5894]
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try increasing your PS a little, like from 3 to 3.5 and see how you do with that for a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks hojo
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep doctor visit today
Had my 90 day visit after getting new bipap.
I informed the doctor that I was no longer using the Aircurve 10 S she prescribed, that I have purchased an Aircurve 10 Vauto to try and improve my treatment and that I did not feel any better. I told her that I had an AHI <5 with both machines but did not feel rested. I told her I had purchased an ASV VPAP Adapt and was feeling much better after treatment. She explained that the ASV helps people breathe regularly. I showed her a close of of a sleepyhead chart and she said I have CSR's with CA's. She entered that in my chart and said the next time I needed an machine she would write the prescription for the ASV; none of the other machines would do.

[attachment=6305]
[attachment=6306]

I talked with her about problems with mask that the F20 airfit closed my nose and I could not adapt to the P10. She said the P10 would not work for me because my type of breathing would cause it to leak when the machine responded. She said she was writing a prescription for a mask that might be better and to call her if it did not work so we could try others.

I feel much better about it now.

Oh and I am returning the Aircurve 10 S to the DME.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 25 1,113 Yesterday, 08:54 PM
Last Post: apneavolt
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 247 Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 167 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 121 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 6 187 04-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 205 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Starting Again wxmcpo 10 173 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.