Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting pressures for new (used) vpap
Starting pressures for new (used) vpap
Hello all, new user here after becoming curious about my machine. I had tried a year ago to get my 7 year old cpap (S8 autoset II) replaced with a Vpap due to mixed apnea that i knew i had, however they refused to cover it without a new sleep study that i reduse to take part in for several reasons. I'm sure others have noticed that their insurance also forces them to buy through a higher priced "in-network" provider.. What good is insurance that covers 50% if the price is double the going rate?
Anyhow- my cpap is set at 7-20. I recently discovered the clinical settings and have attempted to improve my AHI which has been over 15 and as high as 30. I played with a few things and the only thing that helped was turning EPR to full time at max setting of 3. In auto mode it seems to want to be around 10cm.
Now i am excited that i have found a used S9 Vpap Auto with very little ise and it is on the way.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start with the settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Starting pressures for new (used) vpap
What events are you seeing? OA's vs CA's vs Hypops...... What is your median and 95% pressure?

You mention you're at a min 7, with EPR of 3 which indicates an effective exhale rate of 4, vs: a max pressure of 20? Sometimes specifying a max pressure way removed from your actual therapeutic levels is not a great idea. Nor is having a minimum pressure too far below your median and 95% level. So before you worry too much about what the new machine should be set to, it would be great to try to understand where you're at right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, i shoulded included a little more info. 7-20 with fulltime EPR off was what it came set at and stayed at until i got into it. Noting that it wants to run around 10, i narrowed it to 8-16 but i know that is still fairly broad. Also, i dont believe it goves me the info you are asking for. It gives AHI info and the rest im not sure whaat it means (such as AI). I know it isnt compatible with the sleepyhead software so i wanted to start collecting better data once i use the new machine.
I know i'm no expert, but i feel like i dont need more pressure, but more exhale relief. I have always been a lazy/periodic breather even during the day, ans occasionally i need to take pain things that make that issue worse
Post Reply Post Reply
So, you are really now at 8-16, EPR 3? I think leave it for a while that way. Does that model have a SD card? If so you can download the ResScan software from Resmed and have a look. If not, get used to the pressures and when your new-to-you machine arrives, put in those settings.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MaddMike,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and CONGRATULATIONS! on the new machine, .!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the welcomes, and the replies. Trailblazer- i agree. And yes, my S8 autoset II does have an sd card, but i do not believe it can differentiate between the event types. I believe that i am having central apnea that it is unable to conpensate for, and for the price i found this new one at, I feel it was a great investment.
So- it does seem more simple the way you put it. I can simply put the same settings in, along with a bit more exhale pressure relief and let it titrate while i collect the data for a while.
Thanks,
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead which you were using before will work with the new machine. You might need to get the newer version.

That will give you more than a simple text display of your info.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,233 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 672 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,730 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 457 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.