Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting to mouth breathe after 3 weeks of CPAP?
RE: Starting to mouth breathe after 3 weeks of CPAP?
I started cpap in September with a nasal mask. First  30 days were great, seals and ahi were great, felt great big difference. Then I started mouth breathing and added a chin strap. Felt big difference in how I felt not as good as the first 30 days. Then I started having problems with my lips still moving and breathing through (sounded like a motorcycle). Went to full face mask still mouth breathing and my ahi is not down where I started in September. Still not at the benefit I was the first 30. They have adjusted my pressure up, down and back to where I started.  Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
I was a mouth breather for the past 20 years before starting CPAP. Tape worked best for me. I would dab a tiny bit of face lotion/cream on my skin before applying tape; that would help removing tape in the morning --- however I usually wiped a bit of the lotion off before applying the tape; otherwise the tape wouldn't stick. After 9 months of using tape, I was glad to find out that my mouth-breathing habit was broken. I no longer need to use tape. So my suggestion is to try using a chin strap or tape at first, then after that you might experiment and hopefully find out that you might be able to discard those items.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board Forum.

Mouth Breathing is not an issue with a full face mask (FFM).  Read the Mask Primer (see my signature), especially the Mouth Breathing section.

I'm sure that we can help.  
I'll guess that you have a positional aspect that has driven up your AHI, but without data, it is just a guess. 
I strongly suggest that you download Sleepyhead then organize your nightly charts (see my signature) as not all the charts have equal importance.  With this data we can look at what is happening down to a breath by breath level if necessary. 
Finally, post your nightly charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does inserting the card into the cpa p interfere with its daily transmission to my air and that out goes to for the doctor and apria Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
No the SD card won't affect the data transmission.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Please start a new thread so we keep your info together. This helps eliminate confusion, especially when you start including charts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 25 1,085 5 hours ago
Last Post: apneavolt
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 232 8 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 108 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,379 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 165 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 164 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 120 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.