Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Little deep sleep based on sleep cycle
Video 
Little deep sleep based on sleep cycle
I have been posting a lot but my sleep and anxiety issues have really gotten poor.

I noticed in the last two weeks, I am waking up 4-5 times a night.  

LOoking at my times and an app called Sleep cycle, 

I keep jumping out of Deep sleep very quickly.  Sometimes I get very little deep sleep.

Is this caused by sleep apnea, restless legs, long term anti-depressant usage?

I know this is not a great app, but I believe that deep sleep is when you move the least, and when that appears to happen , 

I wake up.

why?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Little deep sleep based on sleep cycle
You sound like me. I found my solution, it may or may not be the same for you. CPAP really has two issues: 1. treat the apneas and 2. find a way for the treatment to be comfortable enough for you to sleep well. Sounds like you are working on the second one of trying to get comfortable.

Most people take all kinds of time finding comfortable beds, pillows, blankets ….. You now have something strapped to your face blowing air up your nose. You did not complain about being uncomfortable so I would guess that its something just uncomfortable enough to block deep sleep.

I had so change to a BiLevel machine (AirCurve 10) to get the settings I needed. My Doctor gave up and turned my treatment over to me (and this forum ). I breathe slowly when I sleep and the standard machine was cutting off my breath. I had to adjust Ti max to longer, Trigger to very sensitive, and cycle to less sensitive and then I finally was able to sleep well. The timing of the cycle was just enough off from my baseline that it was disturbing. This could be tested for in a sleep lab, but with so few people needing it (that we know of anyway) that they just don't make those adjustments during testing. I have no idea how many of the people that fail at using CPAP, fail because of this.

If this is they type of adjustment you need you will be the third (including myself) person I know of that needed it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2018, 03:46 PM)PoolQ Wrote: This could be tested for in a sleep lab, but with so few people needing it (that we know of anyway) that they just don't make those adjustments during testing.

Would you please explain more about how you solved this issue?

I have very low AHI though I feel exhausted in the morning and my smart watch shows very little deep sleep (0-20 minutes only)!

I am using Auto CPAP (Min 10.0 Max 20.0) with A-Flex 3. My mask is a nasal pillow where there is no leak and does not blow air on the face (unless it does while I am sleeping and I am unaware of it).

I have a sleep study coming in a few days and would like to take the advantage of what you mentioned: "This could be tested for in a sleep lab, but with so few people needing it (that we know of anyway) that they just don't make those adjustments during testing". Would you please advise on what shall I ask the sleep technician for so they can fine-tune my machine for comfortable sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
xaid,

This thread is from 2018 and the user PoolQ has not been online since last year so don't expect a response.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 0 3 8 minutes ago
Last Post: rygonzo93
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 241 8 hours ago
Last Post: Akaharu
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 164 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 190 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 74 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 1 464 04-13-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,367 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.