Statins make me hurt
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Sex: Male

RE: Statins make me hurt
I have been on simvastatin (Zocor) for about about 15 years. Cardiologist has had bloodwork done every year and numbers are all normal. We have talked about the studies and one of his comments is you can find a study to give you whatever answer you want. He is also a believer in red wine helping and is even a co-author on a book. Even if it doesn't help you medically he told me, it is a good excuse to try some new red wines.

Homer
01-29-2015 02:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

(01-29-2015 08:36 AM)justMongo Wrote:  I take atorvastatin. Recently they upped the dose.
I now feel like I've gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.
(And naturally took a pounding.)

Anyone else experience this? And, are statins really that effective?

That pretty well describes how I felt when I tried Crestor. It was given to me as freebies from a cardiologist friend who highly recommended it. My legs ached so badly I could hardly rise from a chair. My friend said none of his patients ever had any side effects with Crestor.

So, even for free I nixed statins. I didn't really need them anyway but he thought they were so great they should be putting them in the water supply. In my case, not so much. Great for those who really need them though as a first line of attack for those clogging arteries.

Best regards,

Dude
ps. I plan on living forever, so far so good. Eat-popcorn
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2015 02:26 PM by surferdude2.)
01-29-2015 02:24 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Red wine in small doses is good for you, but not a bottle at a go. The problem is that while one has isolated the "good bits" from red wine, the doses needed from wine itself to be protective have been estimated at a few litres a day, meaning you would die of cirrhosis before the positive and protective effects of red wine would do anything for your long term health. Of course, you could argue that is one way to go.... a square of black chocolate (75% or better) per day will do the same thing as two glasses of red wine. In the end, it comes down to variety and balance, and everything in proportion and reason.
01-29-2015 02:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

(01-29-2015 02:28 PM)DocWils Wrote:  In the end, it comes down to variety and balance, and everything in proportion and reason.

Words to live by and from what I consider a reliable source. ThanksEat-popcorn
01-29-2015 02:30 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(01-29-2015 02:28 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Red wine in small doses is good for you, but not a bottle at a go. The problem is that while one has isolated the "good bits" from red wine, the doses needed from wine itself to be protective have been estimated at a few litres a day, meaning you would die of cirrhosis before the positive and protective effects of red wine would do anything for your long term health. Of course, you could argue that is one way to go.... a square of black chocolate (75% or better) per day will do the same thing as two glasses of red wine. In the end, it comes down to variety and balance, and everything in proportion and reason.

I think I could do a few liters a day...
Certainly would dull the pain!

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-29-2015 03:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-29-2015 02:24 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  That pretty well describes how I felt when I tried Crestor. It was given to me as freebies from a cardiologist friend who highly recommended it. My legs ached so badly I could hardly rise from a chair. My friend said none of his patients ever had any side effects with Crestor.

That's scary that he implies there are no side effects. Check Google for horror stories.

I have a friend who is dying from a degenerative nerve condition. He thinks statins did it to him. He used to take them but gets terrible pain now if he takes then.

However, he almost died from a heart attack, too, so....

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-29-2015 06:17 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Not sure if a statin would cause a degenerative nerve condition - certainly there is no evidence in the literature. Side effects, yes, but not creating a degenerative nerve disease.

Crestor, like all statins, can have side-effects. Each person reacts differently to any drug, side effects are part of the deal, since no one person has the same biology as the next. Some people have such minor side effects that they barely notice it, others have extreme reactions. No telling what will happen, and you can try different formulations to see which is best tolerated.

While at first statins were seen as wonder drugs, we are more cautious now, having seen long term effects and the like, and no longer prescribe a statin lightly. So the rule is first lifestyle changes, and if that doesn't work and the risk factor rises above between 12 to 25% depending on your philosophy, then prescribing a statin becomes a calculated risk.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2015 06:26 PM by DocWils.)
01-29-2015 06:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

(01-29-2015 01:38 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Daria, as a diabetic, your best protection is a good diet and exercise, and that will keep your cholesterol from being a problem, no matter what the level. Do whatever makes you fell healthy and well, and only take statins when your levels are out of control. On the whole, if you can, through lifestyle changes, can keep your levels within the 25% risk levels, you will still have a good chance of staying statin free.

exactly! and if I use statins and hurt like someone beat the crap outa me I will not move a pinky without duress - which is what I told my doc Smile

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
01-29-2015 06:46 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

(01-29-2015 06:22 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Not sure if a statin would cause a degenerative nerve condition - certainly there is no evidence in the literature. Side effects, yes, but not creating a degenerative nerve disease.

Crestor, like all statins, can have side-effects. Each person reacts differently to any drug, side effects are part of the deal, since no one person has the same biology as the next. Some people have such minor side effects that they barely notice it, others have extreme reactions. No telling what will happen, and you can try different formulations to see which is best tolerated.

While at first statins were seen as wonder drugs, we are more cautious now, having seen long term effects and the like, and no longer prescribe a statin lightly. So the rule is first lifestyle changes, and if that doesn't work and the risk factor rises above between 12 to 25% depending on your philosophy, then prescribing a statin becomes a calculated risk.

Nerve damage and neuralgias, peripheral neuropathies *are* known effects of statins.

I have known multiple people who have run into them with Lipitor in particular. In addition there are studies that show how damaging low cholesterol is to brain function.... :O

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

01-29-2015 06:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

years ago even though my cholesterol was not way way too high I have a doctor try to prescribe Crestor for me when it was very new on the market and I went online and read the side effects and all the information that I can find on this drug and I refused to take it
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2015 07:12 PM by me50.)
01-29-2015 07:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do statins really reduce your risk of heart disease? zonk 37 7,231 06-16-2015 10:56 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas