Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea
RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea
(01-07-2016, 10:44 AM)DariaVader Wrote: interesting since red yeast rice = lovastatin.

I have heard many people mentioning how many problems they have with statins then mention that they switched to CRYR without problems, without realizing that CRYR ARE statins! I was going to make a sneering reply, but then I need to remember that I don't believe we should ever wave away anyone's symptoms.

I myself have been on statins since December of last year, for slightly elevated cholesterol. I educated myself on them, read a lot on their effects, read a lot of studies, etc. I did have some muscle pain in the fall, but that went away once I started CPAP therapy, after only a few days.

Hopefully I do well with them because I do believe they are beneficial.
Post Reply Post Reply
please bear in mind that many times the natural form of a substance which is combined with other synergistic substances may not produce the same side effects as the standardized extracted or manufactured substance... Smile I know lots of folk are down on herbal treatments - but they are time honored in many cases - popular voodoo not withstanding
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 10:44 AM)DariaVader Wrote: interesting since red yeast rice = lovastatin.

I forgot my manners. I want to thank you for educating me about statins. Until you posted the above statement I associated all statins as being the same. I noticed that my medical record lists Atorvastatin as being the "bad boy".

Thanks once again!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been taking various "statins" for around 30 years, currently "Rosuvastatin" ("Baycor but now out of patent and available as a fairly cheap generic in various brands).

I've never really noticed any problems.

What does this mean for you? Why nothing at all, of course. Individual anecdotes are meaningless. There are definitely many people who get bad side effects with these drugs, that is well established.

But don't forget that muscle pain has many causes and just because you are taking a statin (or any other medication) that doesn't mean that the statin is causing you that pain. Post hoc ergo propter hoc is still a logical fallacy.

What is also well established, with many studies and papers in peer reviewed journals, is that statins in general do a good deal more good than they do harm.

No one can say that one of these drugs will extend your particular life. What we can say with some assurance is that, overall, if a whole lot of people take them many of those will have their lives extended and a very few will be harmed. And the overall cost to society of heart disease will be reduced.

Whether it is worthwhile for you personally to take it I am not qualified to say. It's up to you to decide if you will follow your doctor's recommendation.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 02:01 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote:

I forgot my manners. I want to thank you for educating me about statins. Until you posted the above statement I associated all statins as being the same. I noticed that my medical record lists Atorvastatin as being the "bad boy".

Thanks once again!

Big Grin

Atorvastatin (Lipitor) is in my opinion the worst of them all. I got stuck on it when it was new and being frantically pushed by every MD everywhere. About 3 months later I was complaining to my husband about a new scary headache I was experiencing; a sharp and severe blinding pain in the side of the head that would last for about 15 min then leave. He asked me if I was on any new meds... and whoa! Lipitor! I stopped taking it immediately and immediately felt better with respect to body aches which I had been ignoring, and the jabbing headache never returned again (I had been getting several per day) anecdotal, you bet. Would I try it again on the strength of a study? Not in this lifetime! Since then a coworker told me of permanent nerve damage he got from lipitor, and then I started reading about it online. Lots of anecdotes out there! Tell you what. Science is great. I freaking love science. Good medicine while it absolutely relies on science is not a science! it is an art.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
I was put on Lipitor when first diagnosed with high cholesterol back in the mid 90's.
After a short period of time I had aching joints - acing muscles - loss of taste & smell, a Vietnam Vet mate put me wise as he had been down the same path, I stopped it immediately, my GP said all drugs have side-effects and I told him nothing like the range of side-effects Lipitor does.
Whilst researching this horrible MF I was contacted by a Dr from UCLA via my email address on a Forum I had joined, she emailed me a huge ".pdf paper" to fill in and return as part of a study she and other Dr's at UCLA were undertaking into the side-effects of Statin Drugs.

I never got any feedback from her either, I moved to another City 1500kms away and changed my email address.
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
Y'all do what you want. I won't touch the damn things ever again.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2016, 07:14 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Y'all do what you want. I won't touch the damn things ever again.

OMMOHY

I will never touch the damm things initially Smile as one who is quite hypersensitive to even low doses of meds.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 02:34 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I have been taking various "statins" for around 30 years, currently "Rosuvastatin" ("Baycor but now out of patent and available as a fairly cheap generic in various brands).

I've never really noticed any problems.

What does this mean for you? Why nothing at all, of course. Individual anecdotes are meaningless. There are definitely many people who get bad side effects with these drugs, that is well established.

But don't forget that muscle pain has many causes and just because you are taking a statin (or any other medication) that doesn't mean that the statin is causing you that pain. Post hoc ergo propter hoc is still a logical fallacy.

What is also well established, with many studies and papers in peer reviewed journals, is that statins in general do a good deal more good than they do harm.

No one can say that one of these drugs will extend your particular life. What we can say with some assurance is that, overall, if a whole lot of people take them many of those will have their lives extended and a very few will be harmed. And the overall cost to society of heart disease will be reduced.

Whether it is worthwhile for you personally to take it I am not qualified to say. It's up to you to decide if you will follow your doctor's recommendation.

Ed,

I have to respectfully disagree with your point of view. I think all of us understand that causation doesn't necessarily equal correlation. But at the same time, if I start a drug and get a side effect that I have never had a problem with prior to starting the meds, there are great odds that the drug is the culprit.

Sadly, many people's lives are destroyed because many doctors (not all) refuse to believe meds can cause side effects. Instead, they are put through unnecessary and costly tests that don't help and instead result in a worsening condition due to not looking at the drug as a possible culprit.

Regarding the studies you mention, not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but many of them are influenced by drug companies and can't be trusted. Many MDs have made that point so it isn't just a wacky opinion by 49er.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2016, 07:57 AM)49er Wrote: Ed,

I have to respectfully disagree with your point of view. I think all of us understand that causation doesn't necessarily equal correlation. But at the same time, if I start a drug and get a side effect that I have never had a problem with prior to starting the meds, there are great odds that the drug is the culprit.

Sadly, many people's lives are destroyed because many doctors (not all) refuse to believe meds can cause side effects. Instead, they are put through unnecessary and costly tests that don't help and instead result in a worsening condition due to not looking at the drug as a possible culprit.

Regarding the studies you mention, not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but many of them are influenced by drug companies and can't be trusted. Many MDs have made that point so it isn't just a wacky opinion by 49er.

49er

Simvastatin, what I take, is now a generic so the big pharma companies don't really have any skin in the game as far as that drug is concerned. A month's supply costs something like $5, basically the same as aspirin more or less. Yet they are still conducting many studies on simvastatin.

I work for a CRO (contract research organization) that works for pharma companies so I know a little bit about clinical trials. While their has been some monkey business in the past (as with anything), I do trust the process.

I will agree though that the media makes the situation 10x worse though, whereas any given drug is either a wonder drug for all life's ills, or it causes any malady in the end.

I respect your POV however and think taking any drug should be up to the patient, ultimately, and we shouldn't dismiss anyone's symptoms or opinions. You need to be your own advocate.

Blindly trust anyone, be it pharma companies, the FDA, or Mercola, etc., is a recipe for disaster. Look at how many people are sent home with CPAP settings with too low minimum pressures? Not a disaster necessarily, but how many people are quitting CPAP and not getting the care they need because DME's like these low minimum settings? People who never heard of this forum or have no idea how to adjust these settings?

There are drug disasters like Vioxx and phen phen too. One thing about Simvastatins is that they have been used for a long time now, which means that there is much less chance for situations like this. There is good reason to be cautious with brand new wonder-drugs.

YOu really do have to be your own advocate and never blindly trust anyone or anything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 129 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 573 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.