eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

Sex: Male

RE: Stay with Machine?
(11-10-2015 11:08 PM)Charles1970 Wrote:  I do hope to use sleepyhead later this week. Is it true that I can program the machine myself using it (as well as access its sleep data?)

No. SleepyHead only reads the data and shows it to you. It can't control the machine.

Please fill out your profile with more information. Exact make and model of the machine you are using for one thing.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
11-10-2015 11:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Stay with Machine?
(11-10-2015 11:08 PM)Charles1970 Wrote:  Yes, central apneas did show up in my study. And since I'm still a bit fatigued during the day (not excessively) my doctor wants to check for narcolepsy next.

I do hope to use sleepyhead later this week. Is it true that I can program the machine myself using it (as well as access its sleep data?)

Sleepyhead displays your data in a whole lot of useful ways but it doesn't allow you to change machine settings. However that can easily be done manually - go here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual and request the clinician manual for your machine. Make sure you read and follow the instructions carefully as there are hundreds of machines listed.

Quote:Right now I see this in the data window:

Max pres 20,
epap min 4
epap max 15
ps min 3
ps max 15
bpm auto

Under 90% epap: 5.0
Avg ps - 4.5

Not sure what it means - thanks!
c

Epap is the pressure your machine applies when you're breathing out (expiratory positive airway pressure). This needs to be high enough to prevent hypopneas and obstructive apneas.

PS is pressure support - the additional pressure the machine applies when you're breathing in (IPAP = inhale PAP). This normally runs quite low, but if the machine detects a central apnea it will rapidly increase the PS (and hence the IPAP) to get you breathing again.

With a max EPAP of 15 and a max PS of 15, you could get a peak IPAP of 30 cm h2o, which is a bit of a blast. IPAP = EPAP + PS However there is also a max pressure setting (in your case 20) which prevents it going too high.

It seems your machine is only delivering a fairly low PS so I'm guessing that things are fairly under control, but still with a lot of room for improvement.

It would be really interesting to see the SleepyHead plots to work out what's really going on.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-11-2015 12:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Power Outage: Stay Awake Or Sleep W/O CPAP? player 11 688 10-26-2016 08:29 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,005 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Is 2nd hospital stay necessary? Newbie Granny 28 2,542 10-30-2015 05:39 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 3,777 04-06-2014 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Symptoms] I can't stay asleep fb4mark 6 2,312 11-12-2013 06:17 PM
Last Post: fb4mark
  I Can't Sleep Or Stay Asleep Schnauzers 5 12 3,704 04-17-2013 03:32 AM
Last Post: DocWils
  Can't stay asleep all night JJJ 24 12,729 04-07-2013 09:34 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5