Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Staying "active" with your DME
(02-28-2016 07:48 PM)Dawei Wrote:  I appreciate your advice, Mosquitobait. Thank you. I know what you wrote about a pt. being entitled to copies of his/her data, scripts, etc. is correct, but I suspect it's going to be a real battle to get same.

David

Read this and make your life easier: https://www.privacyrights.org/content/hi...py-records

Failure of a health care provider to provide a patient access to their health records and prescriptions is a Federal offense under HIPAA.

Quote:g. What should patients do when they have trouble accessing or obtaining a copy of their medical records?

We recommend to start a complaint process by first contacting the health care provider’s designated privacy of HIPAA compliance officer. Doing so documents the complaint, and also indicates that the individual has made a good faith effort to resolve the problem.

In addition, there are ten HHS/OCR Regional Offices located throughout the country with staff counselors available to answer patient questions.

If there are further problems or the provider ignores a complaint, the individual may want to proceed with an HHS complaint. Although government agencies cannot represent individuals, consumer complaints often alert agencies to HIPAA violations. HIPAA says people cannot be denied treatment because of a complaint.

HIPAA does not prevent states from passing laws that enhance protections. George Washington University also has a guide, Health Information and the Law, which includes information on state laws.

02-28-2016 10:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Dawei Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Respironics "FitLife"
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP in 2006; spent the first 6 years with a "brick"

Sleeprider, the info you supplied certainly does allow me to breath deeply. Many thanks. I had been aware of HIPAA but didn't know it covers pt. rights to med records as well as privacy (I'm feeling dumb).
My guess is that you MUST be retired from the field of healthcare to be so knowledgeable. Perhaps you used to make those Respironics in Pittsburgh.

David
Forgot the "e" at the end of breathe.
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016 01:09 PM by Dawei.)
02-29-2016 01:08 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Although I live in Murrysville, I have no medical expertise or inside knowledge of PAP equipment. I retired from air quality regulatory permitting, engineering and toxicology. I have some sensitivity to the medical profession and it's changes since my dad was an old fashioned pediatrician before medicine was owned by insurance companies and socialized. Oddly, everyone got affordable care somehow.

02-29-2016 01:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New User Having Trouble Staying Asleep and more SnoreGalore 9 545 12-06-2016 08:00 PM
Last Post: SnoreGalore
  starting to have a problem staying asleep bigcat 21 1,528 06-09-2016 06:12 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
Question Hyper active brain and sleep Barbz 12 2,016 06-20-2015 10:33 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help from ACTIVE sleepers. Yet another mask thread. Mark Douglas 0 475 06-03-2015 10:07 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  Encore Pro Error "The media does not belong to an active EncorePro patient" jjgereg 3 1,442 07-20-2014 07:31 PM
Last Post: lrosenman