Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sticky Mouth
Question 
Sticky Mouth
I don't feel like I am sleeping with an open mouth but at times I awake during the night or close to morning and find the inside of the cheeks are stuck to the gums. I have to break them loose with the tongue. What causes this? Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sticky Mouth
Thats normally due to mouth breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
Or leaks if using a nasal mask.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
golfgame,
This is most likely from mouth breathing.  I know the feeling...I used to call it “cotton mouth.”

I learned to control mouth breathing early in my treatment by using the Tongue Suck Technique.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

You can also try a chin strap, or a “soft cervical collar” which I sometimes resort back to.

We don’t always realize that we are mouth breathing until we wake up and have that cotton mouth.
You can sometimes see evidence of it on the leak graph in SleepyHead.

While you are working to control mouth breathing, try a mouth rinse before bed like Biotene.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2018, 04:28 PM)OpalRose Wrote: golfgame,
This is most likely from mouth breathing.  I know the feeling...I used to call it “cotton mouth.”

I learned to control mouth breathing early in my treatment by using the Tongue Suck Technique.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

You can also try a chin strap, or a “soft cervical collar” which I sometimes resort back to.

We don’t always realize that we are mouth breathing until we wake up and have that cotton mouth.

While you are working to control mouth breathing, try a mouth rinse before bed like Biotene.

Thaks for your reply but I really don't think this issue is mouth breathing or what you call "cotton mouth". There have been times when I was not on machine that I have had a dry mouth as you describe as I have woken up breathing from my mouth and everything was cottony as you describe, whole mouth and lips dry. I wake up during the night and my mouth is completely closed with no feeling of cotton mouth. What I experience is as I described. the cheeks both top and bottom are stuck to the gums as if they have glue attached.

Can humidification be an issue here?

Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2018, 08:18 AM)golfgame Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 04:28 PM)OpalRose Wrote: golfgame,

Tongue Suck Technique:

You said
"You can sometimes see evidence of it on the leak graph in SleepyHead."  Where do I find that in SleepyHead ? I am not seeing anything labled as such.

Thaks for your reply but I really don't think this issue is mouth breathing or what you call "cotton mouth". There have been times when I was not on machine that I have had a dry mouth as you describe as I have woken up breathing from my mouth and everything was cottony as you describe, whole mouth and lips dry. I wake up during the night and my mouth is completely closed with no feeling of cotton mouth. What I experience is as I described. the cheeks both top and bottom are stuck to the gums as if they have glue attached.

Can humidification be an issue here?

Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 805 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.