Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sticky substance - pillows MELTING ?!
Sticky substance - pillows MELTING ?!
Hi everybody

Long time since my last post.  I've been using Respironics Nuance gel pillows for over four years with no issues, until today.

I woke up with a sticky substance on my upper lip, and noted the same substance on the lower part of the mask, next to my lip, almost as if the thing had gone soft, and was melting.

This may be the weirdest thing I've ever seen, and I hope you don't think this is a joke! (And no, it's wasn't mucous.)

The pillow itself is only two weeks old. Has anybody ever experienced something like this before? Any ideas?

brianps
Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sticky substance - pillows MELTING ?!
Time to file down the nasal hairs.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I vaguely remember at least one report of gel leakage about 2 to 3 years ago, but not since then.  I don't remember which brand it was. I just remember a user posted of being awakened by a liquid running down their face, only to find that it was the blue gel from the mask.  

For the life of me, I can't find the post.  .  .  I even tried google but their results seem to target product sales rather than history.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you have trimmed the nose hairs, I would just wash everything up and inspect for integrity. It could be the mask frame or pillows that are the source of the problem. If the problem is still apparent after cleaning and use, then you will need to replace parts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks to those who responded to this query. Oddest thing I've ever seen.

brian
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, there's a gel in there to help keep their shape. I had one pair I kept forgetting to change out and I woke one morning with the mask kinda stuck to my upper lip.

If it happened after such a short time, complain to whoever sold it to you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula - That's exactly what happened to me. Kinda gross, I think you'll agree.

UPDATE - After raising the issue with the CPAP store. the Respironics sales rep in this area said he'd never heard of that happening, but agreed to provide a new full mask in recompense.

Not a bad outcome, and very good of the company.

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2018, 06:58 AM)brianps Wrote: Hi everybody

Long time since my last post.  I've been using Respironics Nuance gel pillows for over four years with no issues, until today.

I woke up with a sticky substance on my upper lip, and noted the same substance on the lower part of the mask, next to my lip, almost as if the thing had gone soft, and was melting.

This may be the weirdest thing I've ever seen, and I hope you don't think this is a joke! (And no, it's wasn't mucous.)

The pillow itself is only two weeks old. Has anybody ever experienced something like this before? Any ideas?

brianps

Once you have checked all the above and there is not a defect in the pillows.
It is not wise to use certain products with silicone, i.e. petroleum products and baby wipes that contain alcohol.
Petroleum jelly and vapour products can destroy silicone.  You should also only use soap that you wash dishes with to wash them with.
Having said that, it is a gel that is inside, but it will desolve, but I hate to think what else it could be.
Maybe just your nose reacting to the gel and the pillows.

Nasal hair ShockWalla Walla you made me Dielaughing
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2018, 01:00 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yeah, there's a gel in there to help keep their shape. I had one pair I kept forgetting to change out and I woke one morning with the mask kinda stuck to my upper lip.

If it happened after such a short time, complain to whoever sold it to you.

OMG!  I feel the pain of taking it off!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2018, 03:37 PM)brianps Wrote: Paula - That's exactly what happened to me. Kinda gross, I think you'll agree.

UPDATE - After raising the issue with the CPAP store. the Respironics sales rep in this area said he'd never heard of that happening, but agreed to provide a new full mask in recompense.

Not a bad outcome, and very good of the company.

Brian

I have a feeling he might hear a bit more of this happening   Thinking-about

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 347 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 364 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 903 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 463 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 493 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows Palmtrees 7 672 12-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Moisture with Brevida Nasal Pillows Columbiabill 2 337 12-26-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.