Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still Drunk Tired with AHI Close to 0.0
Still Drunk Tired with AHI Close to 0.0
Hi Everyone,

First I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me here over time. It's made a difference for sure, but I'm still drunk tired much of the time. I clearly need help.

A few details:

* I was diagnosed with OSA, even though my sleep study was all hypopneas and centrals.
* I live at high altitude.
* I'm currently using a Resmed ASV with the settings as recommended here. My current AHI as per OSCAR is typically around 0.3, sometimes being 0.0.
* I was never tested for UARS, but given that I am a thin female who had major orthodontia as a child, I think this is likely.
* For some reason, a nasal strip seems to make a big difference. If I forget to put it on, I feel much worse the next day.
* I have been tested for things like RLS. I don't seem to have any other sleep issues.
* I can breathe well through my nose and don't think I'm having an abnormally high level of leaks.
* I still use the bathroom 2-5x per night (I don't drink water before bed) and often have middle-of-the-night insomnia (CBT-i has been pretty ineffective).

My questions are:

1. Why would nose strips make so much difference? I don't generally have allergies or a stuffy nose.
2. Is there a way I can see if I'm having issues with UARS on OSCAR?
3. Is there a possibility of adjusting my ASV to better address things? I can't figure out what in the world could be going on with my AHI being that low.

I'm happy to post OSCAR data if folks think it would be helpful!

Thank you again for all of your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still Drunk Tired with AHI Close to 0.0
If you zoom in on your Flow Rate.  If the top of the graph is a flat top and not a peaked shape, then that would indicate possible UARS.

[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post Oscar so we can see if there is anything we can see.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. It definitely looks "normal" as far as the curve is concerned, but damn my sleep is so fractured. I just can't figure out why. Sad

(07-07-2021, 03:46 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Please post Oscar so we can see if there is anything we can see.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If you put your finger over one nostril and breathe in does the other nostril collapse in to the septum? Do both sides.

I assume the nasal strips help because you have small nose and possibly a deviated septum.
Have you seen a ENT doctor?

This might help too.
https://youtu.be/tPz7jxlkb0I

Have you looked at other reasons outside of Apnea? Have you seen an internal medicine doctor? not just a GP or Family doctor.

Have you had a complete metabolic panel, complete blood count, vitamin levels for B and D, and Thyroid.
You would need these to rule out Anemia, Hypothyroid, and Vitamin deficiency. Low vitamin D is very common and under treated can cause tiredness and lack of energy. Anemia is fairly common in females as well.

Do you take good Multivitamin?

Thinking outside the box of apnea.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Your flow limits are large ones. They are apnea also. See my signature for how they are classified. We use ps to help those. I raise the ps by one and see if that helps you fell better. You can raise it more if it is helpful.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2021, 04:02 PM)factor Wrote: If you put your finger over one nostril and breathe in does the other nostril collapse in to the septum?  Do both sides.

I assume the nasal strips help because you have small nose and possibly a deviated septum.
Have you seen a ENT doctor?

Thank you so much! Yes - I have seen many four ENTs in my life. I don't have a deviated septum, but have been told that I have "freakishly narrow nasal passages".

This might help too.
https://youtu.be/tPz7jxlkb0I

Have you looked at other reasons outside of Apnea?  Have you seen an internal medicine doctor? not just a GP or Family doctor.

Have you had a complete metabolic panel, complete blood count, vitamin levels for B and D, and Thyroid.
You would need these to rule out Anemia, Hypothyroid, and Vitamin deficiency.  Low vitamin D is very common and under treated can cause tiredness and lack of energy. Anemia is fairly common in females as well.

Yes! I'm tested for these things every year to a point that my Drs think I'm a hypocondriac! Nothing is ever unusual.

Do you take good Multivitamin?

Yes I do.

Thinking outside the box of apnea.

Thank you for that. This stuff is so damn confusing and I appreciate any help!!! Smile

(07-07-2021, 04:04 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Your flow limits are large ones. They are apnea also. See my signature for how they are classified. We use ps to help those. I raise the ps by one and see if that helps you fell better. You can  raise it more if it is helpful.

So PS from 2 to 3? Thank you for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok cool.  Just wanted to be sure we didn't miss stuff outside the box.  

Small passages nasal strips help a-lot the video helps explain it.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you SO MUCH for the video link. I am really appreciative of quality videos!!
Post Reply Post Reply
ps to 3 and raise it if it seems to help..  You can go up as far as you want.  so you know _ your min pressure is your exhale pressure and your inhale pressure is the min+PS.  Your max is as high as the machine will go to treat apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 173 2 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 458 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 278 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,380 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 270 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 175 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 309 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.