Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question on ASV backup rate
RE: Question on ASV backup rate
Thanks vsheline,
I hope my doc and I are on the same page. But if he "is" talking about my ASV machine, then what he said about the auto setting not activating if I don't take a breath is true. That makes me feel uneasy. I like knowing that if I stop breathing my machine will pick up the slack.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 09:13 PM)Snowleopard28 Wrote: I hope my doc and I are on the same page. But if he "is" talking about my ASV machine, then what he said about the auto setting not activating if I don't take a breath is true. That makes me feel uneasy.

Well, actually I think the doc may have meant that your machine's data showed that when your machine is in Auto backup mode that the machine kicks in as normal to treat your pauses in breathing, keeping you breathing normally. In other words, I would guess he may have meant to say that, as far as he could tell, the ASV feature is working normally. If that is not what he meant then he would be totally incompetent, in my view.

Perhaps you interpreted him to mean that your breathing was normal so he couldn't tell whether the ASV feature was working? But all one would need to do would be to inspect the mask pressure waveform (showing EPAP and IPAP) to see whether the ASV feature is active or not. It is very easy to see, if one knows what to look for.

Earlier I think the doc was thinking that ASV in Auto backup mode would behave like an Auto CPAP (APAP), which is incorrect.

Earlier the doc was definitely incorrect in thinking that central apneas are not treated by your ASV machine when it is in Auto backup rate mode. They definitely ARE treated by the machine when the backup rate mode is Auto. The info on the manufacturer's website that DeepBreathing posted the link to, says this clearly. If the doctor cannot tell this from looking at the detailed data then I think he is incompetent.

In your detailed data (waveforms) you can look for yourself at the Mask Pressure to see whether the IPAP pressure ever gets automatically increased by several cmH2O very quickly (within a few seconds), from time to time. That would be the ASV algorithm rapidly increasing the Pressure Support, in order to respond to a Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea or any sudden reduction in breathing.

EPAP self-adjusts only slowly, and the ASV algorithm adjusts Pressure Support very quickly. If both EPAP and IPAP move together by a small amount this is EPAP adjusting itself and IPAP getting adjusted by the same amount so that Pressure Support is not changed. If IPAP changes without EPAP changing, this is Pressure Support being adjusted by the ASV algorithm.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that's some great explanations. Thanks a lot. Even though I've been on treatment for my severe central sleep apnea for a year, I've found it difficult to find information. There just isn't that many people with my type of sleep apnea. I still don't sleep well and feel tired but I don't know if it's because my treatment needs tweaking, there other things or both. It's hard to compare my data with people who have OSA because of the differences. Then my doctor tells me that setting my machines backup rate to auto means that my machine won't "trigger or activate", I can't remember the exact word, if I don't take a breath. This is when he gave me the pulse oximetry to take home for 1 night to record.
I believe all of you. I won't be left without a breath.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 233 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 88 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.