Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still Feel Tired After all This Time
RE: Still Feel Tired After all This Time
Exactly right:-

"Using anatomical terms of location, the dorsal side is down, and the ventral side is up, when supine."

Looking at your quote above, the "down side" is the back, hence the use of dorsal to indicate sleeping on your back.

My French sleep doctor uses the word "dorsal" which I thought was the correct term for medical issues.

Very often the roots are the same. "  It sounded right to use also in English. 

I didn't bother to check. Haven't lived in an English speaking country for many years.

Anyhow it's all semantics, but quite interesting the language usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I had a feeling it was one of those language usage things. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say 'dorsal sleeping'. Aside from fish fins, I've hardly ever used the word 'dorsal'.

So just a matter of usage, not a correction.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fish fins is an excellent analogy if you think about it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Except, of course, that fish only assume the 'dorsal position' when they are floating, unresponsive, in the water...

It's not healthy for them, either!

Big Grin
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Still sleeping on my side.  I removed my soft collar last night, thinking it was causing some of my neck and back pain in the middle of the night (it was). Since I was not using the collar I lowered my pressure 1cm.  I thought that the collar was helping to keep my FF mask in place, lowering my leaks (it was). I also lowered my EPR to 1 from 2.   Note, there was much more leaking.  Although, I only had about five hours of sleep I still feel pretty good.

Post Reply Post Reply
Old Steve,
You've done a great job.  Your numbers can't get much better and your leak rate is good! Still a little flow limitation, but I wouldn't worry about it with such great results.

Hang in there... I understand pain and how it affects sleep.  If you feel better without the collar, then leave it off.  Comfort first!  

I'm impressed with 0.00 AHI.  like
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Old Steve

Old Steve, really pleased you still making progress, always thought you would be able to dispense with the mask. One thing less to deal with. 

At a guess, I think you may be able to eventually dispense also with the mouthpiece olso,but see how it goes. One step at a time. 

You may have to do a little tweaking now and again as can things can change over time but you have all the basics established.

Remarkable progress

Wonderful after 20 years

@Pholyny

I think  most people understood the meaning of dorsal in the context of my original post. 

Dorsal fin of a shark, is situated on its back

Relavent synonyms:-
Dorsal - synonym for back
Ventral- synonym for front. 
Lateral-  synonym for side

Tonight,  I will be neither be sleeping in the dorsal nor supine position, but sleeping in the lateral position,so I don't have these terrible positional cluster events that I have experienced in the past.

Whilst wordplay is interesting and fun, but it is not creating any "added value" to this great forum, so leaving this one where it is, without updates. For me it would be an excerise in futility.

However I would like to return to the sleep apnea review, especially positional apnea

For illustration purposes and germane to the subject, here is a glimpse of a French sleep test summary report, (mine) over a year ago, with the key events translated. (Most of the words however are really close to English. Personal details and doctor redacted)

Rapport de polygraphie ventilatoire

Total AHI 30.2/h
AHI dorsal 40.6/h
AHI non-dorsal 12.7/n
Longest apnea duration 104.3secs !!!!
Longest hypopnea duration 83.1secs/h
Total apnea duration 58.9 mins!! (Out of recording time of just over 5 hours.)

Conclusion, signed by the doctor at foot of report, in French:-
"SAOS sèvere positional dorsal"   SAOS =severe obstructive apnea syndrome dorsal position.

At the time I didn't understand these technicalities, and their importance, but I do now...

All's well that ends well...
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is last nights OSCAR...  

I changed EPR back to 1, left pressure the same, no collar, just the mouth guard while sleeping on my side.   I am quite happy with these results, my second 0.00 AHI.  I think I will leave my settings as they are for now...

It's hard to believe that for 22 years I have been using a CPAP machine and not feeling better.  Now after discovering this site and OSCAR, in six weeks I am finally feeling rested...

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Old Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear things are finally on the improve Steve.

As for the aches and pains keeping you awake, I can relate.
I have a bulging disc low down in the spine that becomes inflamed and causes pain at times - hip joints starting to have pain in colder weather - bursitis in the left shoulder and now starting in the right shoulder as well - calcification in the neck joints.
According to my doctor the cure is........ "Don't get old" .. he's a funny bugger at times. Oh-jeez

Too-funny Too-funny
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Great stuff!

I think every CPAP machine should have a warning sticker on it:-

- CAUTION - 

SLEEPING ON YOUR BACK MAY BE DANGEROUS                         FOR YOUR HEALTH!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 3 71 1 hour ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 248 11 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 71 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 217 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,456 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.