Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still Having Centrals—even on APAP (Graphs Included)
RE: Still Having Centrals—even on APAP (Graphs Included)
We still want to limit the pressure changes your CPAP delivers. You can stay in Autoset mode and limit pressure by changing the maximum pressure to 5.0 and turning off EPR. This will probably significantly reduce events, but you will need ASV to be treated. Do take the time to read about that therapy in the document I linked earlier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2021, 09:14 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Central Apnea will be consistently inconsistent, expect it.

Have you gotten the actual diagnostic and/or full, detailed Titration copies yet?

It can be helpful to see the write-up, etc. This is not to dispute ASV necessity.

I would begin a sleep therapy diary, depicting the failed therapy on the CPAP, your ongoing fatigue, other symptoms and complaints regarding your Apnea therapy. This is ammo for obtaining an ASV.

I have not gotten actual detailed information (just a one page “here is what we found and here is what we recommend” type of thing)…it was an at-home sleep study, not an in-lab study, so I’m not 100% sure how much info they have from those machines.

I have started a sleep diary to make sure I have those important details written down to help with obtaining an ASV.

(11-09-2021, 09:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We still want to limit the pressure changes your CPAP delivers. You can stay in Autoset mode and limit pressure by changing the maximum pressure to 5.0 and turning off EPR. This will probably significantly reduce events, but you will need ASV to be treated. Do take the time to read about that therapy in the document I linked earlier.

Thanks again, Sleeprider!  Just changed my setting to your recommendation and will give that a shot.

And I’ll definitely pursue the ASV avenue as quick as I can.
Post Reply Post Reply
Things to remember.
CPAP, APAP, and BiLevel without a backup rate cannot treat Central Apnea.  They actually are designed to do nothing when a central apnea occurs.  We do perform actions to avoid centrals such as reducing EPR which has a side effect of possibly increasing obstructive events.  An ASV works by maintaing theinute vent rate by increasing flow on the very breath that decreases the minute vent do to a central event happening.

As Dave said centrals are consistently inconsistent. In other words the CAI can bounce all over the place for no obvious reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, well an at home study can report a reasonably accurate Central story if there was an effort belt present. Did you wear a wide Velcro belt over your chest for your at home diagnosic sleep test? Yes, then your info is accurate on the CA. No, then you will want to followup with getting a lab diagnosic.

I would call ASAP and request a full report. If they balk, remind them HIPAA law permits you to request and receive it. You may need to sign a release form and/or pay for the printing supplies.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For insurance approval of ASV you will probably be required to undergo full polysomnography (PSG) diagnostic testing. This raises a really good question, how good is your is your insurance? You might find self-funding ASV to be faster, easier and cheaper if you have significant deductibles or copay.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point there on insurance. You might be much better at self funding if at all possible. I know first hand how insurance dictates withholding the correct therapy device by their rules and regulations.

I can only encourage you to self fund if you can. Attempting to play the insurance games can delay therapy.

Best to your success, and we'll try to assist however we can to inform and guide.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 376 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,774 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 554 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 425 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.