Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still confused, and I feel terrible!
Still confused, and I feel terrible!
Hi Guys,

I finally made the switch to a full-face mask. I had tried everything to keep my mouth closed at night (chin-strap, taping) and always managed to have leaks. With a well-fitting full-face mask I seem to have tamped down my leak rate, however; I now seem to be experiencing a lot of Clear Airway (CA) events. Are these central apneas? Do I need to reduce my pressure? Narrow the range? Run in straight CPAP mode? Reduce my EPR? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like absolute trash today. 

Best,

Justin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still confused, and I feel terrible!
Have you tried going without the EPR? Turn it off and see if that helps with the CA’s.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They are central Apneas, most likely caused by the fact that your machine has improved the efficiency of your breathing.  This has likely resulted in an increased reduction of CO2 from your blood.  As good as that sounds, that actually depresses the drive to breathe and causes "Treatment-Emergent Central Apnea" 

Let's cut your EPR and that should decrease your Central Apneas.  

Set EPR = 1 and let's see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Everybody,

I dropped my baseline pressure to 7 and set my EPR to 1. I feel okay today, not great, but not terrible. What is my next move? Drop the baseline pressure again? Turn the EPR off? Once I am asleep, I do not wake up or feel disturbed by the machine. When I first put on the machine, I do feel like my breathing is unnatural, and I continually need to take massive, gaspy breaths to feel at ease. Am I a candidate for a bi-level device? If so, what is the best way to get my hands on one for a trial period? Thank you all for the advice! I appreciate you all so much. 

Best,

Justin

Post Reply Post Reply
Stay the same. The CA events are low enough now they are not a problem. We are starting to see some flow limitation creep in and some hypopnea, and your pressure went up for that. This has the appearance of good therapy and the CA will diminish from here if you give it time. We don't want to further reduce minimum pressure to where OA is an issue and turning off EPR will be less comfortable and allow more flow limitation or hypopnea. I'd give this some time to settle in before reacting with setting changes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A small amount of CA's can be attributed to 'sleep-wake-junk'. The body isn't particularly graceful about handing off respiration when you change from a sleeping state to awake state. A normal sleep cycle lasts about 90 minutes(give or take), your first 3 CA's appear to me to be 'sleep-wake-junk'. Your tidal between 5 AM and 6:30 looks like you may be awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, the duration counts.  Are these CAs in the 10+ second range?  If so, and they persist and happen in groups, they should be addressed.  If they are 'junk' CAs around the 10 second mark, or less, then I have learned not to give them much credence.

So, I would agree that staying the course for now is the wisest approach. Let's see where you settle down.  It isn't likely that two nights of data will be the final answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guys,

All of the CA events are in excess of 10 seconds; the average duration is 16.23 seconds.

Post Reply Post Reply
with all the concern about referring to 'fake' ca's voiced here recently...

duration isn't the issue. events are flagged only if they are at least 10 seconds long so being 10 seconds long does not make them discountable. it goes without saying that the longer any event occurs, the more the potential damage. shorter pauses, less than 10 seconds, can be seriously disruptive too. so duration isn't useful in determining whether a ca can be ignored. the only determinant is whether we're awake or not. waking events can be ignored. while we may choose to ignore a few events because it's the best we can eke out of the machine, &/or we feel good, ignoring sleeping events of any duration isn't particularly prudent, especially if we're still not feeling well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to agree; ignoring these events feels imprudent. My charts have been littered with CA events since I started APAP over a year ago. It feels like I have traded RERAs - at a rate of 18/hour - for less frequent central apneas with the same net result of being exhausted every day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 222 37 minutes ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 330 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 810 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,019 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 906 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.