Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still exhausted with low AHI
RE: Still exhausted with low AHI
I got an overnight sleep study and an MSLT at a private hospital which included oximeter, diagnosis was mild sleep apnea, AHI of 7, prior to this I have had 4 full blood panels which tested for all the usual including vitamin deficiency, inflammation, celiac disease. I also had 3 MRI scans, neurological, psychological and psychiatric testing where it was observed that I fall asleep even in mid conversation and lose attention. They have put me on over 15 different types of medications over the years SSRIs, SNRIs, Anti Psychotics as they thought I was depressed before my sleep apnea diagnosis but nothing pushes back the tiredness. I have tried over 100 supplements to try and stop it but nothing works for me, I have a deviated septum confirmed by ENT but I am a mouth breather and wear a full face mask and have good AHI so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, without CPAP I am even worse so it has helped but no where near where it should be.

I have sleepyhead what statistics do you need?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2015, 06:12 AM)napnaptime Wrote: I got an overnight sleep study and an MSLT at a private hospital which included oximeter, diagnosis was mild sleep apnea, AHI of 7, prior to this I have had 4 full blood panels which tested for all the usual including vitamin deficiency, inflammation, celiac disease. I also had 3 MRI scans, neurological, psychological and psychiatric testing where it was observed that I fall asleep even in mid conversation and lose attention. They have put me on over 15 different types of medications over the years SSRIs, SNRIs, Anti Psychotics as they thought I was depressed before my sleep apnea diagnosis but nothing pushes back the tiredness. I have tried over 100 supplements to try and stop it but nothing works for me, I have a deviated septum confirmed by ENT but I am a mouth breather and wear a full face mask and have good AHI so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, without CPAP I am even worse so it has helped but no where near where it should be.

Hi,

If you don't mind my asking, are you still on psych meds and if you are not, when were you on them? The reason I am asking is they might be causing the extreme fatigue you are feeling. And even if you are no longer on them, withdrawal issues might be contributing to the extreme fatigue.

Of course, I am not a doctor so keep that in mind. But as someone who was also on psych meds for several years, I wanted to throw that out for consideration.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2015, 07:04 AM)49er Wrote:
(10-23-2015, 06:12 AM)napnaptime Wrote: I got an overnight sleep study and an MSLT at a private hospital which included oximeter, diagnosis was mild sleep apnea, AHI of 7, prior to this I have had 4 full blood panels which tested for all the usual including vitamin deficiency, inflammation, celiac disease. I also had 3 MRI scans, neurological, psychological and psychiatric testing where it was observed that I fall asleep even in mid conversation and lose attention. They have put me on over 15 different types of medications over the years SSRIs, SNRIs, Anti Psychotics as they thought I was depressed before my sleep apnea diagnosis but nothing pushes back the tiredness. I have tried over 100 supplements to try and stop it but nothing works for me, I have a deviated septum confirmed by ENT but I am a mouth breather and wear a full face mask and have good AHI so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, without CPAP I am even worse so it has helped but no where near where it should be.

Hi,

If you don't mind my asking, are you still on psych meds and if you are not, when were you on them? The reason I am asking is they might be causing the extreme fatigue you are feeling. And even if you are no longer on them, withdrawal issues might be contributing to the extreme fatigue.

Of course, I am not a doctor so keep that in mind. But as someone who was also on psych meds for several years, I wanted to throw that out for consideration.

49er

The last time I was on them was about 3 months ago, I did a short trial of Effexor, it made me sleepier so I had to come off of it. Prior to that I was off medication for over four years, before my sleep apnea diagnosis doctors assumed that my memory and tiredness issues were as a result of depression.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2015, 03:50 PM)napnaptime Wrote: The last time I was on them was about 3 months ago, I did a short trial of Effexor, it made me sleepier so I had to come off of it. Prior to that I was off medication for over four years, before my sleep apnea diagnosis doctors assumed that my memory and tiredness issues were as a result of depression.

They are so quick to say it's all in our minds when it's fatigue. I am sorry that you have had such a rough time figuring out what the issue is. I have figured out some of my issues, but there isn't any help for some of them so I truly sympathize!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to post my SleepyHead data how do I do this?
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to post a few more posts before I can link images

So just one more post!
Okay here is my results

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The first thing that stands out to me is that although your AHI is low, you are topping out the pressure for nearly the entire night. I would guess you need a higher pressure. From my own data, I can turn the pressure down and still have a low AHI, but feel like crap.

edit: nevermind, i see you have it on CPAP method....
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
This is Cpap though it reaches maximum pressure within 15 minutes so shouldn't that be normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
Others already pointed out there could be other reasons for your tiredness.

I have mild apnea.

I was greatly helped by apap treatment, then it deteriorated. I recently discovered it was due to leaks. They registered in the normal range for my apap, so I didn't pay attention to it before. However, I got seriously drooping eyelid on several occasions and read somewhere this could be due to apnea. So I realized something was wrong (aside from going through life again as a zombie). I noticed that frequently my nasal pillows had shifted and leaked air. So I fixed the issue with better headgear. I've been flying since. I seem to be very high strung when it comes to oxygen supply.

Little things that may give an indication of what makes a difference for you. Are they mornings you feel better? Was something different?

The trap with this condition, at least in my case, is that when things deteriorate, my energy levels drop and I'm less likely to try new alternatives to improve matters. In the end I do, but it costs more time than when I'm feeling great.

Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] UARS - Exhausted even with CPAP & EPR Wispy7115 16 1,506 12-16-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Wispy7115
  [Treatment] I've been using my CPAP for a few weeks, and I'm still exhausted. Looking for help. BrendonG92 22 3,276 10-16-2023, 11:00 PM
Last Post: spaceodyssey
  CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still prairiesleeper 7 518 10-02-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [CPAP] Exhausted newbie, good stats (?) but more tired mrp80 6 677 09-04-2023, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question [Equipment] Still Exhausted Despite Low Events on ASV BIPAP LastLight 6 638 06-16-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: LastLight
  Im exhausted. Please, why am I still waking up so much? emmylouwho 4 620 05-05-2023, 03:07 PM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  Still exhausted after three months with aPAP AP0011 3 519 04-30-2023, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.