Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still having very high events after starting CPAP
RE: Still having very high events after starting CPAP
Iceman, this is not a case of CO2 induced apnea, which is what we normally see and that is strongly impacted by EPR/PS. It seems to be ideopathic or of unknown cause. This form of central apnea cannot be "avoided" and it will not go away over time. It's treatment requires the timed breathing provided by a capable BiLevel preferably the ASV.

Her I'm going to suggest a test based on the headache symptom.
Headaches can be caused by lack of Oxygen. So let's try adding in EPR.
Set pressure to 7.4
Set EPR=1, fulltime.

See if that helps

If not
Set pressure to 8.4
Set EPR=2, fulltime

If not
Set pressure to 8.4
Set EPR=3, fulltime

Note that this is only targeting your headaches as an interim measure

Do post results at each step.. why not all at once, this is central apnea and I'm being cautious.

This does not, will not reduce the need for an ASV. ASV will significantly reduce your AHI, likely to under 2. Near zero as you dial it in.

Do you have a recording oximeter? I'd like to see your overnight sats.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just note that a BPAP that doesn't have respiratory backup rate will very likely increase these Centrals somewhere between a little to even more extreme levels. ASV is your best bet, but let's see what happens with the actions Gideon mentions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2021, 05:13 AM)Gideon Wrote: Do you have a recording oximeter?  I'd like to see your overnight sats.

Just in case you missed this -- I'm repeating it. The level of centrals that you are seeing there is going to cause you to be basically suffocating all night. Buy a recording pulse oxymeter, record what I predict to be plummeting blood oxygen levels, and keep changing doctors until you find one who turns white while looking at your data.
Post Reply Post Reply
"keep changing doctors until you find one who turns white while looking at your data."

I like that description.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not so sure the CA is idiopathic. In a thread at a different forum, Ashton mentions that the doctor states the CAs are caused by the opiate-based patch Ashton is using, and that there's no way to treat CAs in those circumstances. A member of that forum provided this link, which counters the second part of what Ashton's doctor said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4031404/
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll agree that the opiate patch could cause this. IMHO, other than removing the opiates, which I understand is not an option as one who also suffers at times from extreme pain (vision narrowing levels), I stand by the recommend actions posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, and Ashton is aware he needs to be trying an ASV. I'll be interested to see the results of the experiment you've recommended, along with data from a recording oximeter. Thanks, Gideon. I'm glad you're on this!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok cool I will try this out and post results

Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it and I’m learning a lot!

The only co2 monitoring I have is an Apple Watch? 

If not I saw resmed have an attachment for one I can look at buying
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed SpO2 monitor module is pretty expensive if we're talking about the same thing. The port on the left below the SD slot is what I'm meaning.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look for information in Oscar about the recording oximeters whose data can be loaded into Oscar and displayed as a graph in your daily report.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 340 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 691 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.