Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still not feeling better
Question 
Still not feeling better
Hello all, this is my first post here. I wanted to get some opinions from some of you before I waste more money at the doctor.

My doctor said I would be feeling better after about 3 weeks of using my machine every night. Well here it is almost 3 weeks and I feel very little no change thus far. I downloaded the ResScan last night and looked through some of the data and it all looks pretty good. Here is an overview of last night:

-Usage: 9 hrs 17 minutes
-AHI: 0.5
-AI: 0.2
-Maximum leak: 10.88
-Apneas: 2 central, one 18 and one 13
-Snore index never got above 0.2

This is more or less how most nights looked also. Shouldn't I have felt some relief thus far? I'm not sure if I should keep trying or go back to the doctor and waste money to MAYBE get some answers.

Please let me know if any more information is needed and I will try my best to provide. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still not feeling better
(04-15-2014, 10:16 AM)jbuchanan6196 Wrote: Hello all, this is my first post here. I wanted to get some opinions from some of you before I waste more money at the doctor.

My doctor said I would be feeling better after about 3 weeks of using my machine every night. Well here it is almost 3 weeks and I feel very little no change thus far. I downloaded the ResScan last night and looked through some of the data and it all looks pretty good. Here is an overview of last night:

This is more or less how most nights looked also. Shouldn't I have felt some relief thus far? I'm not sure if I should keep trying or go back to the doctor and waste money to MAYBE get some answers.

Please let me know if any more information is needed and I will try my best to provide. Thanks!

Takes longer to adjust. Hang in.
Your numbers are good.
(Leaks could be better -- but, it's not enough to effect therapy.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 10:29 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(04-15-2014, 10:16 AM)jbuchanan6196 Wrote: Hello all, this is my first post here. I wanted to get some opinions from some of you before I waste more money at the doctor.

Takes longer to adjust. Hang in.
Your numbers are good.
(Leaks could be better -- but, it's not enough to effect therapy.)

Thanks for quick reply. It's just hard to stick with something when you're not seeing results. I have heard about people having immediate results so I was getting worried. My doctor said I have mild apnea that may take longer to respond to treatment but I'm not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to our crazy little part of the world.

It can take some people months and sometimes the changes are in increments small enough that you do not recognize them from day to day. Hang in there, it should get better.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 10:32 AM)jbuchanan6196 Wrote: Thanks for quick reply. It's just hard to stick with something when you're not seeing results. I have heard about people having immediate results so I was getting worried. My doctor said I have mild apnea that may take longer to respond to treatment but I'm not sure.

Also, consider what other conditions you may have. Some people have co-morbid conditions with their apnea. Diabetes? Weight? Blood pressure? Medications?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Blood tests with my primary care doc were all good. Weight is normal, I am 6'1 close to 160 lbs. They always tell me my blood pressure is good and I am on no medications. I am suspecting narcolepsy but my MSLT check OK (at least I guess it did, I couldn't get to sleep during any of the naps).
Post Reply Post Reply
Feeling better is a difficult thing for us sometimes. Rest assured you ARE better even if you can't really pin-point the differences yet. They could be more subtle in your case: Your heart could feel better. Your lungs could feel better, your gizzard even. In my case I noticed rather immediate results because of the snore thing and the falling asleep behind the wheel thing. Those remain my two most significant areas of improvement. In fact I cannot remember the last time the Coast Guard called me because my snoring was setting off their seismic tsunami sensors. Same thing for behind the wheel napping: It just doesn't happen anymore, and that's a good thing too.

But there's a lot of more subtle changes going on. My "downtime" due to exacerbations caused by my emphysema has been considerably reduced. I have not had to resort to a 10-day prednisone regimen for 3 months now. That's a pretty major thing for me. Could this be something that has been made slowly better because of the cpap treatment? I don't really know, but I'll take it. I do know even when my breathing is giving me crap, once I relax at night with the machine it will level out and be much better.

My house is a much happier house too. My wife is getting much more and better sleep because I'm not raising the roof all night. Even the miserable cats seem more rested.

So take great pleasure in your successfully adapting to the therepy. You're numbers are great, and your body is very grateful, even if it doesn't really say "thank you" all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 11:25 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Feeling better is a difficult thing for us sometimes. Rest assured you ARE better even if you can't really pin-point the differences yet. They could be more subtle in your case: Your heart could feel better. Your lungs could feel better, your gizzard even. In my case I noticed rather immediate results because of the snore thing and the falling asleep behind the wheel thing. Those remain my two most significant areas of improvement. In fact I cannot remember the last time the Coast Guard called me because my snoring was setting off their seismic tsunami sensors. Same thing for behind the wheel napping: It just doesn't happen anymore, and that's a good thing too.

But there's a lot of more subtle changes going on. My "downtime" due to exacerbations caused by my emphysema has been considerably reduced. I have not had to resort to a 10-day prednisone regimen for 3 months now. That's a pretty major thing for me. Could this be something that has been made slowly better because of the cpap treatment? I don't really know, but I'll take it. I do know even when my breathing is giving me crap, once I relax at night with the machine it will level out and be much better.

My house is a much happier house too. My wife is getting much more and better sleep because I'm not raising the roof all night. Even the miserable cats seem more rested.

So take great pleasure in your successfully adapting to the therepy. You're numbers are great, and your body is very grateful, even if it doesn't really say "thank you" all the time.

It's good to see you found some relief. I may just be not giving it enough time, which I can't help because of my impatience. I suppose I will stick with it a little while longer and see if I see anymore changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 10:16 AM)jbuchanan6196 Wrote: My doctor said I would be feeling better after about 3 weeks of using my machine every night. Well here it is almost 3 weeks and I feel very little no change thus far.

I'm six weeks in and I'd say things are beginning to improve. Maybe give it a bit more time?

Also a few things to consider that helped me:
  1. How is your sleep hygiene? Getting to bed regularly at the same time every night? When in bed are you clearing your thoughts, not watching TV, not reading, etc ... I changed my sleep time from 12:00am - 2:00am to 10:15pm period.
  2. Are you getting regular exercise?
  3. Vitamin D3 level OK?
Where I live we get no UVB from the Sun from about late fall and winter (October to March). Vitamin D levels drop all that time. May want to check your vitamin D3 levels. See “The Vitamin D Council” for assay details.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jbuchanan6196,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sometimes it takes quite a while for you to notice changes but don't give up, it does get better.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 259 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 326 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 547 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.