Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still not getting a restful sleep..
Still not getting a restful sleep..
Hi All,
Been using CPAP for 5.5 years. Started with a REMstar Auto M-series A-flex, with ResMed Mirage Quattro mask. Never really got a good regenerating sleep, must have been a year or so into using the CPAP that I contacted my sleep doctor. He had reviewed my data and he said it appeared to look good. Lost my health insurance so never went back, but always used the CPAP machine went I went to sleep. Had over 15,000 usage hours on it.

So now I have new health insurance, have a new machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset and still using the ResMed Mirage Quattro mask. Been 10 nights using it, the first 4 nights I felt very good when I awoke in the morning, but since the fifth night till present I don't feel as regenerated as I think I should. Been yawning everyday at work and don't have the same level of rest I initially had.

I will be calling my sleep doctor to run that by him. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks, Ed
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still not getting a restful sleep..
Firstly and most importantly download the software and let's look at your data, that will be very helpful.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eddieo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It would be a good idea to tell your sleep doc about the problems you are having.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Good luck to yoou in getting your sleeping problems straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 10:17 PM)Galactus Wrote: Firstly and most importantly download the software and let's look at your data, that will be very helpful.
Galactus is right. CPAP therapy without monitoring the results is like playing darts while wearing a blindfold. Without feedback, one can only guess whether the pressure is appropriate and the therapy is effective. Oh...and it's easy to do.

Post Reply Post Reply
what software, and where to obtain it from that would work with my brand/type of machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 08:33 PM)eddieo Wrote: what software, and where to obtain it from that would work with my brand/type of machine?
ResScan support AirSense 10 AutoSet, windows only does not works with Mac
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

For me, I like to look at the data on the screen, pressure, leak, AHI, CAI
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 08:33 PM)eddieo Wrote: what software, and where to obtain it from that would work with my brand/type of machine?

The latest release of Sleepyhead (0.9.8) is reported to support the AirSense machines. If so, this software runs on Mac and Linux in addition to Windows. Sleepyhead is open-source, free, and can be found from the link at the top of any forum page. Note that you must currently go to the SourceForge Project page for Sleepyhead, then click Files and select Testing to find the downloads.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 09:19 PM)eddieo Wrote: Hi All,
Been using CPAP for 5.5 years. Started with a REMstar Auto M-series A-flex, with ResMed Mirage Quattro mask. Never really got a good regenerating sleep, must have been a year or so into using the CPAP that I contacted my sleep doctor. He had reviewed my data and he said it appeared to look good. Lost my health insurance so never went back, but always used the CPAP machine went I went to sleep. Had over 15,000 usage hours on it.

So now I have new health insurance, have a new machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset and still using the ResMed Mirage Quattro mask. Been 10 nights using it, the first 4 nights I felt very good when I awoke in the morning, but since the fifth night till present I don't feel as regenerated as I think I should. Been yawning everyday at work and don't have the same level of rest I initially had.

I will be calling my sleep doctor to run that by him. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed. I'm new here as well and only started using CPAP for a month now. Just bought an A10 Elite on Tuesday. Used an S9 from Sept 9 until then.

Something similar for me too. First week, I was waking up feeling weird. Wide awake. Not yawning or anything during the day. But then suddenly, I started feeling like I wasn't using the unit at all. Since about mid-high school, I haven't slept more than 6-7 hours a night. My average for my machine show just over 7 hours of use, but that's with my trying to fall asleep and laying there after waking. I have been looking at my readings and they all were good. Pressure of 11. AHI of 0.3. Leak rate of 8L, etc.

Doctor said everything seemed to be going great. Told him about what was going on with how I was feeling and all he would say was it all looked good so keep going. I honestly don't know what to do either.

When I was doing my sleep study, my doctor told me it seemed as though at a pressure of 9, I was going to deep sleep, but they ramped my pressure up to 11 and my readings were really good, better than at 9, but that was at the end of my night so it didn't show me going into deep sleep. He thought it was only a matter of time.

I'm just curious if I should try putting it to 9 and see if it makes a difference, or just keep it at 11. Am I getting too much air? Is that possible? I don't know.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 09:19 PM)eddieo Wrote: .....the first 4 nights I felt very good when I awoke in the morning, but since the fifth night till present I don't feel as regenerated as I think I should. Been yawning everyday at work and don't have the same level of rest I initially had.

Thanks, Ed

Yeah.... I know........ I thought I never would quit yawning all the time. But I kind of enjoyed it, because it was something I really never could do much before. Something about copd that supposedly makes it harder to yawn.

Anyhow, what is probably going on is your cute little body is getting used to all this new stuff, called sleeping well. It took a lot of years to get everything all screwed up, and it'll take awhile to unscrew it. It sounds like you're doing wonderfully, and your body is responding just as it should.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2014, 08:34 AM)labtec6 Wrote: ...
Something similar for me too. First week, I was waking up feeling weird. Wide awake. Not yawning or anything during the day. But then suddenly, I started feeling like I wasn't using the unit at all. Since about mid-high school, I haven't slept more than 6-7 hours a night. My average for my machine show just over 7 hours of use, but that's with my trying to fall asleep and laying there after waking. I have been looking at my readings and they all were good. Pressure of 11. AHI of 0.3. Leak rate of 8L, etc.

Doctor said everything seemed to be going great. Told him about what was going on with how I was feeling and all he would say was it all looked good so keep going. I honestly don't know what to do either.

When I was doing my sleep study, my doctor told me it seemed as though at a pressure of 9, I was going to deep sleep, but they ramped my pressure up to 11 and my readings were really good, better than at 9, but that was at the end of my night so it didn't show me going into deep sleep. He thought it was only a matter of time.

I'm just curious if I should try putting it to 9 and see if it makes a difference, or just keep it at 11. Am I getting too much air? Is that possible? I don't know.

I'm not a sleep therapist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night...with my APAP.

I agree completely with getting some software, I use SleepyHead, and monitoring your sleep data.

That said, it sounds like you might be a candidate for APAP...Oh I don't know, set to 8-11 or so. The AutosSet Elite can be changed to an APAP, I think. You want to make sure you cover your historical range, as it were. Open the range, close it down...you will see a pattern forming in the software and the correct pressures will be found. Whatever you do, don't make a lot of changes and do not change too quickly. 1-2 weeks should be a minimum test period. As you said you're new, you cant find perfection overnight.

My sleep study transcriber recommended 4-12 for me, my doctor and I agreed on 6-10 and I am currently at 7-11. Only you can determine the quality of sleep. Just make sure you are making an informed decision.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,200 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.