Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still sleeping 11 hours at times
Still sleeping 11 hours at times
I started using my CPAP April 1 and have 89% compliancy. I don't have any problems using the CPAP or with the mask. My AHI has been less than 1 every night. But I am sometimes sleeping 9-11.45 hours per night. And I still feel tired in the afternoon. I have an appointment in two weeks with the pulmonologist.

Anybody, else have this problem..??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still sleeping 11 hours at times
How are you only at 89% compliance if you are sleeping 9-11 hours a night? Compliance should be 4 hours a night for at least 5 night of the week, so you should be at 100%. Make sure you never sleep without the mask on, its important to teach your body that mask on = sleep.

More then that, sleeping for 9 hours is perfectly normal for a lot of people, and sleeping for longer then that is normal as well. Sleep debt occurs when you fail to get enough sleep at night, and it builds up, especially for apnea patients who's quality of sleep was less then normal. To clear up sleep debt you need to sleep for as much as you can, on a regular schedule. The best method of doing this is to sleep until your body naturally wakes you up (Instead of waking up to an alarm) but if you need to wake up at a specific time for work or another event, go to sleep an hour earlier then normal and keep to a strict sleep schedule. Once you have caught up on sleep debt, you'll find you need less sleep and feel more awake during the day time.

Remember, good sleep hygiene is just as important as using your cpap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's 89% because one night I didn't sleep at all. I was awake all night. I occasionally have insomnia. I have bipolar disorder and ran out of my Seroquel and another night I slept less than 4 hours. Plus I think the Seroquel may be contributing to the sleepiness. I'll need to speak to my psych doctor. And in the beginning, I 'd wake about 7 or 7:30 and take the mask off and then fall back asleep until about 10. So I need to stop doing that cuz I'm probably having apneas or hypopneas in those hours. So I'm hurting myself with this. Consider myself lectured.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to only sleep a few hours at a time before I went on xPAP. I still find that I sleep longer than I have ever before. Yes, not unheard of to sleep 10 hours if I can. If you have been suffering from apnea for a long time you will have a large sleep debt to repay. I say... lucky you! Enjoy the sleep. It will work itself out eventually.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, iloveoliver. I'm not clear about whether the pulmonologist is your sleep doctor or if you're going to see them for a different problem.

If you have non-sleep apnea medical problems that cause fatigue, then you could still have that going on. (I suppose that's pretty obvious.)

How much did you usually sleep before getting your CPAP machine?

Do you have serious medical problems that can be expected to cause fatigue? (Not asking for a list.)

How do you feel when you wake up in the mornings now? Is it easy for you to get up, or do you feel exhausted?

Something else that can be going on that doesn't get measured by AHI is if you are having respiratory effort-related arousals (RERAs).

If you had a sleep study done, do you know if they measured this? It would have shown up as RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index) in your study results. RDI = AHI + RERA

I'm not sure if your machine gives any info about RERAs. I use the free SleepyHead software that graphs data from my CPAP machine. If you want to download it, there's a link at the top of the page for it. The icon is a sheep.

If you feel up to downloading SleepyHead and taking a look at your data, that could be helpful.

If you want to read more about RERAs, which are a part of Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS), I recommend doing a search for Dr. Steven Parks' article about it. It's clearly written and fairly easy to understand.

UARS is a type of sleep-disordered breathing. It is not sleep apnea, though, and most CPAP machines do not record statistics for it or display them.

UARS can be treated by CPAP. That's where SleepyHead comes in. It can show you if you are still having lots of RERA events at your current treatment pressure. If you are, you'll need to increase your pressure some.

Welcome to the Apnea Board forum. Smile

P.S. I am still fairly new to CPAP therapy, so it's possible that some of what I've written here might have an error in it. I hope not! About 40% of the events during my sleep study were RERAs, and I went through the process of increasing my CPAP pressure setting to get rid of them.

(04-28-2016, 01:03 PM)iloveoliver Wrote: I started using my CPAP April 1 and have 89% compliancy. I don't have any problems using the CPAP or with the mask. My AHI has been less than 1 every night. But I am sometimes sleeping 9-11.45 hours per night. And I still feel tired in the afternoon. I have an appointment in two weeks with the pulmonologist.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 01:03 PM)iloveoliver Wrote: I started using my CPAP April 1 and have 89% compliancy. I don't have any problems using the CPAP or with the mask. My AHI has been less than 1 every night. But I am sometimes sleeping 9-11.45 hours per night. And I still feel tired in the afternoon. I have an appointment in two weeks with the pulmonologist.

I used to have a similiar problem. But not anymore after I increased the pressure from 7 to 9 a year ago. I think when you have a low pressure, part of the co2 you breathe out is inhaled back into your lung making you a little drowsy. This is my theory and I am not a doctor. Just speaking from my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 10:11 AM)hkcl Wrote: I used to have a similiar problem. But not anymore after I increased the pressure from 7 to 9 a year ago. I think when you have a low pressure, part of the co2 you breathe out is inhaled back into your lung making you a little drowsy. This is my theory and I am not a doctor. Just speaking from my experience.

A pressure that's too low can cause you to not get enough oxygen, but that's due to throat obstructions, not the inhaling of your own exhaled air.

The reason a CPAP machine's minimum pressure setting is 4 cm is because that's the pressure necessary to maintain the minimum amount of air flow needed to keep the hose purged of exhaled air.

If someone is not getting enough oxygen at a pressure of 7 cm (or any other number) I would suspect that it's due to either obstructions in the airway (in which case a higher pressure might be needed to keep the airway open) or central apnea (in which case a lower pressure might be needed).

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 884 7 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 236 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 207 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 18 656 03-06-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 427 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Irregular flow rate 3 or 4 times a night showing in OSCAR Provolone 4 389 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Provolone

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.