Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still sleepy after 9 months. Could only sleep for 6 hours.
Still sleepy after 9 months. Could only sleep for 6 hours.
Hey guys. Been using cpap for about 9 months. My AHI was 16 before cpap, and have been under 5 while using it. I still feel sleepy after all this time.

Here are some things I noticed. Before cpap, I usually woke up after 5-6 hours, but could easily sleep again for a total of 7-8 hours. But I feel sleepy, my brain is foggy and tired during the day. There was a time where reading even few sentences on a book is so hard. I have to paused a lot to take breaks when watching movie in my room. My mood sucks. 

After using cpap, I notice I've been more motivated, my mood improved, and I can think better. But I still feel sleepy. My brain often still feel tired. I still woke up after 5-6 hours, but here's the thing : I couldn't sleep again if I kept the mask. Sometimes I could sleep again if I took off the mask.

Same thing in the afternoon. I often felt sleepy and tried to take a nap. But when I wore the mask, lot of the time I couldn't sleep. If I took off the mask though, lot of the time I could sleep. Basically it's much harder for me to sleep if I use cpap. But if I slept without cpap, I will usually feel crappy when I woke up.

I do Progressive Muscle Relaxation and read a book in the evening before bedtime, so generally I don't have problem getting to sleep at night. I also do not notice any major discomfort while wearing the mask. I also exercise and meditate everyday.

So what I would like to ask is, why I could only sleep for 6 hours if I wore the mask? Why is it hard for me to take nap when I wore the mask? Is it possible there's slight discomfort from the machine? I'm thinking of changing mask type, will it helps? Any other advice?

A doctor said that maybe 6 hours sleep is enough for me. I told her I still feel sleepy. So she gave me 5-htp to increase melatonin production. It didn't help.
Susilo
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still sleepy after 9 months. Could only sleep for 6 hours.
It sounds like there is something that is making you uncomfortable using CPAP. The therapy is working and treating your apnea. Look at your starting pressure, some find 6 just a little too low. I actually need 6.5 to feel like I get enough air. I am that sensitive.

CPAP usually makes me feel a little congested and I am constantly adjusting the humidity, sometimes to the point of turning it off and just using passive humidity or none at all. I use those nose strips every night to help keep my airway open. Sometimes I also use aroma therapy to help keep my airway open.

It is always difficult to find things like this as I am not quite awake nor quite asleep. For me personally I had to change to the VPAP machine as there are more settings that I could adjust and now most nights I get 8+ hours of nice sleep. Good luck and keep trying
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you post a screenshot from #SleepyHead?

Even though you say your AHI is under 5, which is technically treated, it could be better.  
Your pressure may need  adjusted.

See the tutorials in my signature line, and post here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP for a year and just in the last few weeks I feel I have gotten THERE. THERE meaning good sleep, numbers, feeling good.
Don't chase numbers, chase comfort and sleep. I too had a long tim adjusting and many frustrating nights. Progress was slow but steady AND noticeable.

Best advice I can give is make comfort a priority and have patience.
Boy, my spelling and grammar are horrible.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys. Can't notice feeling of discomfort so far beside the nasal pillow pressing a bit on my upper lip, but I'll try to pay more attention.

@OpalRose, how many days of screenshot do you need? Below I'm posting the last 3 days.

[Image: MJvZSjql.png]
[Image: 2ZI7BAUl.png]
[Image: oc4KyfFl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your higher proportion of CA index in AHI may be due to excess co2 washout due to high EPR. I would first cut EPR from 3 to 2. Evaluate the difference over at least one week.

This should help reduce your CA index. If it works, you may want to set it to 1 and re-evaluate for a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2017, 10:24 AM)AshSF Wrote: Your higher proportion of CA index in AHI may be due to excess co2 washout due to high EPR. I would first cut EPR from 3 to 2. Evaluate the difference over at least one week.

This should help reduce your CA index. If it works, you may want to set it to 1 and re-evaluate for a week.

Thanks. Going to give this a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2017, 10:24 AM)AshSF Wrote: Your higher proportion of CA index in AHI may be due to excess co2 washout due to high EPR. I would first cut EPR from 3 to 2. Evaluate the difference over at least one week.

I tried EPR 2 for a few minutes and I seem to felt less comfortable. Felt a bit hard when exhaling. Should i keep going? Will i get use to it?
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience has been that it becomes easier to get used to a lower EPR setting if you stick with it for a bit. Going from 3 to 2 is not too big of a jump but I did notice it if I really focused on it when I first changed it. Try not to focus on it and I think you will acclimatize to it fairly quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2017, 11:04 AM)susilosaja Wrote:

Thanks. Going to give this a try.

Just for the record, I agree with AshSF concerning EPR.  

Turning it down may help with the CA's, and in turn help with the daytime sleepiness.

It's not just total AHI number that matters, but the breakdown of AHI, which is why we need to see data.

Good luck, and hope that makes a difference.  And as Ash said, give it at least a week. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 236 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 207 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,596 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 421 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 269 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 426 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.