Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strange flow rate
Strange flow rate
Hi,

I have just zoomed in on my flow rate in Sleepyhead, and see some strange waveform (please see picture attached).

As it's not a normal sinus wave, does that indicate any issues?

Thanks,
Ted
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strange flow rate
This waveform is normal. The sine wave that you probably referred to is typically used to show breathing in presentations etc. but that's not how you breathe.

We breathe in. And we breathe out immediately after that. But then we typically pause before taking in a breath again. And that's what your waveform shows.
Post Reply Post Reply

My flow rate is very similar in appearance to the OP's.
Where does the inhalation begin on the waveform when beginning a new breath of inhalation?
I assumed it was at the lowest valley in which case the leveling off would be in the middle of a breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
The inhalation begins when the flow rate > 0. So it typically shows as a rapidly rising wave after a plateau around 0. It rises and falls and then seamlessly goes into exhalation (flow rate dips below 0). Then after exhalation peak rate at the bottom, it slowly crests back up towards 0. Where it stays for a while. And then inhale starts.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK - thank you, that makes sense now!
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine looks similiar.  I've always considered it normal.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In Sleepyhead, you can right-click on the left margin of the flow rate graph, and select Dotted Lines options, then add a zero-line.  The dotted line makes interpreting these graphs much easier, as anything over should be inhale and anything under is exhale.

[Image: XSMHAy4h.png?1]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
    I understand all of what is happening, however I am not sure exactly where in the breathing process is the lowest point up to the short flat zero line before the next breath?  When the exhalation stops, does the Flow Rate slowly go back to zero on its own, thus the angled-line up to zero from the bottommost exhale point?

In the attached picture, the waveform sections I am questioning are outlined in red.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2017, 12:36 PM)RichardVT Wrote: I understand all of what is happening, however I am not sure exactly where in the breathing process is the lowest point up to the short flat zero line before the next breath?  When the exhalation stops, does the Flow Rate slowly go back to zero on its own, thus the angled-line up to zero from the bottommost exhale point?

In the attached picture, the waveform sections I am questioning are outlined in red.

If I remember my high school algebra/graphing correctly, everything under the zero line is the exhale portion of the breathing cycle regardless whether the graph is going down (away from zero) or up (towards zero.) What this portion of the graph is showing is simply the flow rate of your exhalation.  So on the downward portion, your exhalation (flow rate) is increasing and the upward portion of the graph shows your exhalation flow rate decreasing. It's not till the graph hits zero that you've stopped exhaling. 

So the waveforms you've outlined in red represent the exhalation portion of your breathing cycle and the flow rate of the exhalation is decreasing up till the the graph hits zero.

I don't know if that made any sense or if someone can explain that better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks, that makes sense. Increasing exhalation moves downward, decreasing exhalation moving upward.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 83 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 257 6 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 308 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 112 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.