Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still struggling..but I'm here
RE: Still struggling..but I'm here
(07-17-2015, 06:52 AM)mollete Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 06:10 AM)mzdawn74 Wrote: I thought the point of this forum is to help people to continue using cpap, not discourage them.

Sure, but CPAP is not the cure-all, results vary (based to large extent on the severity of sleep apnea) and there are plenty of people who argue that mild OSA not be treated. 49er will retrieve the pro-con debate articles.

Further, there are viable alternatives. If, for instance, all your breathing events were on your back, and none on your side, then positional therapy would be an excellent option. Dental devices are also a good choice for mild-moderate sleep apnea.

There are 2 generally bad things that happen with OSA-- catastrophic cardiovascular events and issues related to EDS (OK, "sleepy"). If you examine the data, catastrophic CV events occur if AHI > 30 (see Yaggi and others). And if you're telling me your sleep WAS bad, and this therapy is objectively cutting that number in half, then you need a better plan than just hang in there.

So I'd approach this from 3 directions:

Make sure that any anti-depressives are "sleep-friendly";
Get a massive dose of CBT-I; and
Optimize the OSA treatment (but based on the current information, I do not know what that is).

She has only had her machine for approximately 2 weeks! It takes time to adjust to all of this. If I am not mistaken, she said that her sleep efficacy wasn't the best during her titration, however, her results seem to be pretty darn good on a nightly basis.

Mollete, I can't help but wonder if you have been diagnosed with SA.
Post Reply Post Reply
mzdawn74,
I have been following your threads and there is no doubt you are struggling.

The only advice I have for you is please be sure your Psychiatrist and Neurologist/sleep doctor
are working "together" towards your health. They need to be made aware of what the other prescribes for you.

I pray you are able to take control of your situation. Most of the advice here is well meaning, and not meant to cause you any more anxiety.
Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dawn

The repercussions of mild apnea are just as serious of a concern as if you had moderate or extreme OSA. The difference between the two has to do with the number of events (and other things that the sleep tech, et. al. know about that we don't necessarily know about) and events of 5 and above according to the guidelines (if I remember correctly) is eligible for CPAP machine treatment.

As I have said before, I was on CPAP auto and it wasn't working for me. I struggled with some of the same issues you are struggling with. Then I was given a vpap machine and things got a lot better. While not perfect, there was some improvement. You have only been on CPAP treatment a few weeks and for some, it takes more than that time to see an improvement. After all, how do any of us know the exact length of time we had OSA and we have to recover from that just like a person recovers from breaking a leg. It cannot be rushed or the leg will not heal properly. Your body needs to be repaired from all it has been through. It takes time. Some people see rapid improvement but for most, it takes some time and that time is different for each person.

the biggest thing you can do is get that machine changed and then get out of the house, exercise, go to the beach, volunteer somewhere that interests you or go volunteer at a homeless shelter where you see how bad it can get. Do that a little each day or if that is too overwhelming, do it 3 times per week. Start out slowly and if you can only do it for 15 minutes then just try to increase the time weekly. That is what I do when I go to the gym and work out. I slowly work up to a faster speed to accomplish my goals. going slowly with increases means I am more likely to be successful without injuring a foot, etc. like I did last year. Do something for YOU and take some time away from the forum and do something for YOU. You might be surprised that if you go to the beach or somewhere that you can relax, it will work wonders for you. Maybe build a sand castle. I have been to San Diego and there is a lot of great places to go and things to do there. take advantage of it and start doing little things to add pleasure to your life. A nice walk along the beach might do wonders for you. Hope this helps some.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've deleted the irrelevant off-topic blather in this latter part of thread. If you have a problem with the way this forum is operated, PM or email me with your concerns, don't clutter up someone else's thread.

Let's keep on topic, folks. Sorry to the OP for not getting rid of the trash posts earlier.

Thanks.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dawn, just wanted to tell you that when I read your posts I can see myself in every one! I've been there, plus a few other places (lol) and I've made it through to the other side. So will you!

Once you settle into using your machine many of the questions you have may be answered. This therapy doesn't make everything better, but it helps, so I hope you continue to work with it. Also, keep posting your thoughts, questions and feelings. That helps as well.

I hope you're at the beach today, or doing something that makes you happy!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2015, 08:36 AM)OpalRose Wrote: mzdawn74,
I have been following your threads and there is no doubt you are struggling.

The only advice I have for you is please be sure your Psychiatrist and Neurologist/sleep doctor
are working "together" towards your health. They need to be made aware of what the other prescribes for you.

I pray you are able to take control of your situation. Most of the advice here is well meaning, and not meant to cause you any more anxiety.
Smile

OpalRose,

Thank you for your encouraging words. This whole situation is definitely testing my inner strength and patience level.

I will be discussing all medications with both my neurologist and my psychiatrist.

I don't understand what Mollette's whole agenda is, but I'm not letting him/her detour me from continuing to use cpap. It can't be any worse than all of the different drugs prescribed to me over the last four years.

I really just hope that once I get my sleep quality/time improved that I can start using the machine more, and hopefully see some improvements.

Thanks again,
Dawn
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2015, 08:39 AM)me50 Wrote: Dawn

The repercussions of mild apnea are just as serious of a concern as if you had moderate or extreme OSA. The difference between the two has to do with the number of events (and other things that the sleep tech, et. al. know about that we don't necessarily know about) and events of 5 and above according to the guidelines (if I remember correctly) is eligible for CPAP machine treatment.

As I have said before, I was on CPAP auto and it wasn't working for me. I struggled with some of the same issues you are struggling with. Then I was given a vpap machine and things got a lot better. While not perfect, there was some improvement. You have only been on CPAP treatment a few weeks and for some, it takes more than that time to see an improvement. After all, how do any of us know the exact length of time we had OSA and we have to recover from that just like a person recovers from breaking a leg. It cannot be rushed or the leg will not heal properly. Your body needs to be repaired from all it has been through. It takes time. Some people see rapid improvement but for most, it takes some time and that time is different for each person.

the biggest thing you can do is get that machine changed and then get out of the house, exercise, go to the beach, volunteer somewhere that interests you or go volunteer at a homeless shelter where you see how bad it can get. Do that a little each day or if that is too overwhelming, do it 3 times per week. Start out slowly and if you can only do it for 15 minutes then just try to increase the time weekly. That is what I do when I go to the gym and work out. I slowly work up to a faster speed to accomplish my goals. going slowly with increases means I am more likely to be successful without injuring a foot, etc. like I did last year. Do something for YOU and take some time away from the forum and do something for YOU. You might be surprised that if you go to the beach or somewhere that you can relax, it will work wonders for you. Maybe build a sand castle. I have been to San Diego and there is a lot of great places to go and things to do there. take advantage of it and start doing little things to add pleasure to your life. A nice walk along the beach might do wonders for you. Hope this helps some.

Thank you Me50 for all of the support, encouragement, and suggestions you have provided to me. I would be lying if I said after what happened with this whole "Mollette" situation that I didn't think about just saying forget all of this. I guess some people don't realize or care how the power of their words can really affect someone in either a positive or negative manner. But, I can't focus my energy on all that right now. I need to focus on getting better sleep and using my machine more. I hope I can trade my machine, if I can't I guess I will just have to make it work somehow.

Thanks,
Dawn

P.S. Yes, San Diego is a great place to live or visit.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2015, 03:54 PM)PositiveMe123 Wrote: Dawn, just wanted to tell you that when I read your posts I can see myself in every one! I've been there, plus a few other places (lol) and I've made it through to the other side. So will you!

Once you settle into using your machine many of the questions you have may be answered. This therapy doesn't make everything better, but it helps, so I hope you continue to work with it. Also, keep posting your thoughts, questions and feelings. That helps as well.

I hope you're at the beach today, or doing something that makes you happy!

Positiveme123,

That is really great knowing your came through the otherside. I only hope that I can do the same. I really appreciate your words of encouragement.

Thanks,
Dawn
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 269 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 222 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 196 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 901 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 367 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
  [Diagnosis] New CPAP User and Struggling BladedWedge 15 813 01-23-2024, 01:45 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.