Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: quatro fx
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Still tired after a year...
Well it's been over a year since I've had my CPAP and while I may feel a bit more awake some days overall I'm still the tired blob I have been for years. I use the machine e-v-e-r-y night, my AHI is almost always under 3 and my leaks are around 2.40, though more recently have been 1.20. I'm not sure what range is considered normal or ok for leakage though.

I have a 'severe' sleep apnea but my pressure is only 9 which always seemed low to me. I have an resmed S9 w/ heated tube, humidifier, and a quatro fx

Thanks for the help.
01-26-2014 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: Still tired after a year...
Hi gilligan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great that you are using your machine every night. You could try downloading the data management software either Sleepyhead or ReScan, (found here on the board,)to get more details of your information.
Hang in there for more suggestions.

trish6hundred
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 09:46 PM by trish6hundred.)
01-26-2014 09:45 PM
c0reDump Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air
Humidifier: H5i (distilled)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 9-17cmH2O
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Hi giligan! Welcome to the group!

For the leaks, the ideal is of course zero Smile. I believe anything below 26 is considered good enough to get the job done. AHI under 5 is also considered good (by the medical community at large). We all strive to see that 0.00 AHI night.
01-26-2014 09:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Surly Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PRS1 60 Series REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift FX Nano
Humidifier: PRS1 60 Series Heated Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 14.5 Opti Start - 18 (APAP)

Other Comments: Using latest unstable version of SleepyHead for Mac

If your data suggests that your OSA therapy is working, I think you should see your sleep Doctor to discuss other possible causes for why you are still feeling so tired.
01-26-2014 09:52 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Seeing the sleep Doc is a great thought. I am wondering (if your model allows it) about putting it in 'auto' mode, with a MIN of 7 and a MAX of 20 and then follow it with the software for a week or three? The results may surprise you.

That said, when I first started with my dream machine, the Doc only had the sleep study and what I said about my sleep to guide him (no data from the machine back then), and a lot of his choices were heavily dependent on me, and what I said. If I didn't mind the pressure, but I wasn't feeling *great* in the morning, he'd raise my pressure - it took about 6-7 months of regular visits til we got it where we both were happy.

With the ability of the 'auto' function, most of the dial-in can be done by the machine now.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
01-26-2014 10:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
gilligan Offline

Members

Machine: resmed s9

Other Comments:

(01-26-2014 09:52 PM)Surly Wrote:  If your data suggests that your OSA therapy is working, I think you should see your sleep Doctor to discuss other possible causes for why you are still feeling so tired.

I have had just about every test under the sun in the last year and a half trying to find a reason why I feel like death at 27. I've also had 2 sleep tests since getting my CPAP, i'm on Provigil and even that doesn't even really help.

I've kinda reached the end of my rope, so I've turned to the internet
01-26-2014 10:00 PM
gilligan Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(01-26-2014 10:00 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  Seeing the sleep Doc is a great thought. I am wondering (if your model allows it) about putting it in 'auto' mode, with a MIN of 7 and a MAX of 20 and then follow it with the software for a week or three? The results may surprise you.

That said, when I first started with my dream machine, the Doc only had the sleep study and what I said about my sleep to guide him (no data from the machine back then), and a lot of his choices were heavily dependent on me, and what I said. If I didn't mind the pressure, but I wasn't feeling *great* in the morning, he'd raise my pressure - it took about 6-7 months of regular visits til we got it where we both were happy.

With the ability of the 'auto' function, most of the dial-in can be done by the machine now.

I was curious about trying the autoset mode on my s9, I was also thinking of trying to raise my pressure a bit just to see what happens since I wasnt sure if going from CPAP to APAP would be a good idea or not.
01-26-2014 10:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
c0reDump Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air
Humidifier: H5i (distilled)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 9-17cmH2O

Other Comments:

Are you actually getting good sleep? Lying in bed awake for long stretches of time? Might be time for another sleep study to rule out other problems that won't show from your s9 download.

You could try limiting caffeine/alcohol, exercising, healthier diet -- basically try to find another cause for your symptoms after ruling out sleep disorders.
01-26-2014 10:15 PM
gilligan Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(01-26-2014 10:15 PM)c0reDump Wrote:  Are you actually getting good sleep? Lying in bed awake for long stretches of time? Might be time for another sleep study to rule out other problems that won't show from your s9 download.

You could try limiting caffeine/alcohol, exercising, healthier diet -- basically try to find another cause for your symptoms after ruling out sleep disorders.

Yeah I usually only sleep 6hrs but it's a solid 6hrs and never get into bed until i'm ready to sleep.

I think i've had 5 total sleep studies now, I never drink caffeine or alcohol, exercise daily, eat as well as i'm gonna eat, perfect blood work ect ect ect

As my doc put it i'm the healthiest sick person he has ever dealt with :/
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 10:26 PM by gilligan.)
01-26-2014 10:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Luke Warm Offline

Members

Machine: Phillips REMstar Pro C-Flex
Mask Make & Model: Quatro thingamajig
Humidifier: Came with the unit
CPAP Pressure: 12

Other Comments: See my black Volt "Dusty" here, http://www.flickr.com/photos/100253763@N02/9829381163/

On a previous occasion I have submitted private message to someone expressing similar comments as yours. From personal experience, I've been on a CPAP for a tad less than two years.

I suspect my CPAP has provided some measure of boosting my energy, but in my case, reducing the amount of a certain medication I am on paid dividends (a blood pressure med called Atenolol) and my doctor also did a bloodwork on me and decided to have me try Androgel at around the same time due to low "T" as the buzz is these days.

I was at a point in my fatigue that if I walked out my backyard 200 feet to an airplane hanger I have on my ranch, I didn't know once when I got there if I would have the energy to walk back (it was that "bad") In fact, that level of fatigue (and I knew it wasn't a form of tiredness) was a very black and dark and depressing time for me. I was taking three naps per day!

I'd suggest seeing a doctor and reviewing your meds and/or asking if some blood tests might be conducted to get at the bottom of your predicament.

I'm now very rarely taking a nap, and at age 62 and having multiple sclerosis, I walk anywhere from 5 to 8 miles per day and I feel pretty good for an old goat rancher... so good in fact I might challenge Arnold Swartz-a-burger for an arm "rasslin" competition (and I have bursitis in both shoulders!)

I have a PhD from M.I.T.
Post hole Digger from Miller Implement & Tractor
01-26-2014 10:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Treatment] One Year in and still have tired days Sleepyv 17 470 12-01-2016 02:58 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  When does the "tired" feeling go away? Cranberry Ray 8 455 11-30-2016 10:10 AM
Last Post: Cranberry Ray
  New, very tired, and need help beckysmith 35 1,279 11-28-2016 06:53 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Good stats, good sleep, but still tired... Lourens1190 14 839 11-03-2016 05:40 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  [CPAP] still very tired and don't know what to do mlasham 30 1,460 10-10-2016 09:11 PM
Last Post: Violetskyye
  cpap therapy still tired wyu177 12 830 09-21-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: wyu177
  extremely tired all the time. need advice. dorlow 63 4,399 09-11-2016 08:34 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse