Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still tired after a year...
Still tired after a year...
Well it's been over a year since I've had my CPAP and while I may feel a bit more awake some days overall I'm still the tired blob I have been for years. I use the machine e-v-e-r-y night, my AHI is almost always under 3 and my leaks are around 2.40, though more recently have been 1.20. I'm not sure what range is considered normal or ok for leakage though.

I have a 'severe' sleep apnea but my pressure is only 9 which always seemed low to me. I have an resmed S9 w/ heated tube, humidifier, and a quatro fx

Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still tired after a year...
Hi gilligan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great that you are using your machine every night. You could try downloading the data management software either Sleepyhead or ReScan, (found here on the board,)to get more details of your information.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi giligan! Welcome to the group!

For the leaks, the ideal is of course zero Smile. I believe anything below 26 is considered good enough to get the job done. AHI under 5 is also considered good (by the medical community at large). We all strive to see that 0.00 AHI night.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your data suggests that your OSA therapy is working, I think you should see your sleep Doctor to discuss other possible causes for why you are still feeling so tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seeing the sleep Doc is a great thought. I am wondering (if your model allows it) about putting it in 'auto' mode, with a MIN of 7 and a MAX of 20 and then follow it with the software for a week or three? The results may surprise you.

That said, when I first started with my dream machine, the Doc only had the sleep study and what I said about my sleep to guide him (no data from the machine back then), and a lot of his choices were heavily dependent on me, and what I said. If I didn't mind the pressure, but I wasn't feeling *great* in the morning, he'd raise my pressure - it took about 6-7 months of regular visits til we got it where we both were happy.

With the ability of the 'auto' function, most of the dial-in can be done by the machine now.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 09:52 PM)Surly Wrote: If your data suggests that your OSA therapy is working, I think you should see your sleep Doctor to discuss other possible causes for why you are still feeling so tired.

I have had just about every test under the sun in the last year and a half trying to find a reason why I feel like death at 27. I've also had 2 sleep tests since getting my CPAP, i'm on Provigil and even that doesn't even really help.

I've kinda reached the end of my rope, so I've turned to the internet
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 10:00 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Seeing the sleep Doc is a great thought. I am wondering (if your model allows it) about putting it in 'auto' mode, with a MIN of 7 and a MAX of 20 and then follow it with the software for a week or three? The results may surprise you.

That said, when I first started with my dream machine, the Doc only had the sleep study and what I said about my sleep to guide him (no data from the machine back then), and a lot of his choices were heavily dependent on me, and what I said. If I didn't mind the pressure, but I wasn't feeling *great* in the morning, he'd raise my pressure - it took about 6-7 months of regular visits til we got it where we both were happy.

With the ability of the 'auto' function, most of the dial-in can be done by the machine now.

I was curious about trying the autoset mode on my s9, I was also thinking of trying to raise my pressure a bit just to see what happens since I wasnt sure if going from CPAP to APAP would be a good idea or not.

Post Reply Post Reply
Are you actually getting good sleep? Lying in bed awake for long stretches of time? Might be time for another sleep study to rule out other problems that won't show from your s9 download.

You could try limiting caffeine/alcohol, exercising, healthier diet -- basically try to find another cause for your symptoms after ruling out sleep disorders.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 10:15 PM)c0reDump Wrote: Are you actually getting good sleep? Lying in bed awake for long stretches of time? Might be time for another sleep study to rule out other problems that won't show from your s9 download.

You could try limiting caffeine/alcohol, exercising, healthier diet -- basically try to find another cause for your symptoms after ruling out sleep disorders.

Yeah I usually only sleep 6hrs but it's a solid 6hrs and never get into bed until i'm ready to sleep.

I think i've had 5 total sleep studies now, I never drink caffeine or alcohol, exercise daily, eat as well as i'm gonna eat, perfect blood work ect ect ect

As my doc put it i'm the healthiest sick person he has ever dealt with :/
Post Reply Post Reply
On a previous occasion I have submitted private message to someone expressing similar comments as yours. From personal experience, I've been on a CPAP for a tad less than two years.

I suspect my CPAP has provided some measure of boosting my energy, but in my case, reducing the amount of a certain medication I am on paid dividends (a blood pressure med called Atenolol) and my doctor also did a bloodwork on me and decided to have me try Androgel at around the same time due to low "T" as the buzz is these days.

I was at a point in my fatigue that if I walked out my backyard 200 feet to an airplane hanger I have on my ranch, I didn't know once when I got there if I would have the energy to walk back (it was that "bad") In fact, that level of fatigue (and I knew it wasn't a form of tiredness) was a very black and dark and depressing time for me. I was taking three naps per day!

I'd suggest seeing a doctor and reviewing your meds and/or asking if some blood tests might be conducted to get at the bottom of your predicament.

I'm now very rarely taking a nap, and at age 62 and having multiple sclerosis, I walk anywhere from 5 to 8 miles per day and I feel pretty good for an old goat rancher... so good in fact I might challenge Arnold Swartz-a-burger for an arm "rasslin" competition (and I have bursitis in both shoulders!)
I have a PhD from M.I.T.
Post hole Digger from Miller Implement & Tractor
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 164 5 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,599 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,954 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,457 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.