Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Upgraded to ResMed AirSense 10. Anything I should know?
Upgraded to ResMed AirSense 10. Anything I should know?
Just upgraded to a ResMed AirSense 10 today.  Have been using the Philips Dreamstation since 2013. Any tips, tricks, or comments on the new machine?  Can't wait to try it out tonight! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Upgraded to ResMed AirSense 10. Anything I should know?
I just went from a Respironics 560 that I used for 5 years to a ResMed Airsense 10. Lots of good things to say about the Resmed--quieter, MUCH improved AHI and leak rate. I suggest you download OSCAR so you can watch your progress. My sleep doc started me on about the same pressures, but I started to adjust them right away--slowly--and am very pleased. I'm not a technical person, but I know the Flex settings on the PR machines aren't worth much, but using the EPR on the ResMed has worked wonders.
Post Reply Post Reply
AaronW,
Let us know how you are doing with your new machine.  I too went from the Respironics 560 Apap to a ResMed device.  My AHI is a little better with ResMed, but the biggest difference is my sleep quality.  

If you were getting decent results with the DreamStation, and didn't experience Clear Airways, then start with a pressure range of 7cm minimum and 12cm maximum with an EPR setting of 2.  Expect to make some adjustments.

After you have downloaded OSCAR, then let us see some data so we can further advise.

Also, be sure you have a new SD card for you AirSense 10, as ResMed has been shipping their machines without one.  The card must be in your Apap while sleeping.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Airsense 10 autoset is a great for Cpap machines. I changed from Respironics Remstar60 M series/AFlex Auto to Resmed Airsense 5 + years ago and noticed it to be a better machine IMO. Easy to use and a little quieter + AHI results were excellent IMO. Also I just bought my 2nd Airsense 10/ autoset with no regrets just recently. I think you will be happier with Resmed but Respironics does make a great machine also and can be inexpensive alternative with also reasonable results if you are just treating just OA.UA.H and minor issues with CA. When it comes to issues with CA high AHI #'s Resmed has better machines for treating that issue. From my understanding Resmed software algorithms have quicker responsive timing that makes them a little better choice for treatment of Apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both machines, and I love them both! Here are some things (which are different from the DreamStation Auto) that I've observed about the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.

- The AHI will be lower. I don't know if the companies/machines measure AHI differently, or what. But the difference between the 2 machines is significant, such that I don't measure them against each other (I don't say "oh wow, I must be sleeping so much better with this one than that one.", nor do I conclude that one is working better for me than the other based on the AHI).

- The Auto-Start feature REALLY works! I love it! I just put my mask on, breathe a few times, and it turns itself right on! It's so nice to not have to push the button.

- The machine runs a many-minutes-long cooling cycle after you finish in the morning. It's nice because it cools the water in the humidifier (less mildew likelihood?), but (in my experience) I tend to forget to take out and empty the humidifier in the morning because I'm waiting for that cycle to finish. If I made this my primary machine, I'd need to come up with some sort of way to remember to empty it in the morning (to prevent mildew and stale water).

- This machine has 2 modes: Soft and regular. The Soft mode is more like the DreamStation, and I personally get more restful sleep with this mode. With the regular mode on the ResMed, I thought I was getting good sleep, but I had a return of my apnea symptoms because I'm too sensitive to the agresssive algorithm of intervention throughout the night. So experiment with those; or at the very least, if you are seeing a return of apnea symptoms (despite the lower AHI), you may want to consider switching to Soft mode.

- The heated hoses are not interchangeable like they are in the DreamStation line. So when you're looking for a replacement heated hose, you'll need to make sure you're getting the one that works for the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.

- Your settings on your ResMed will not necessarily be the settings you'll use on your DreamStation. Obviously start from there, but you may end up tweaking them.

- If air filtration matters to you, you may want to know that the filter on the ResMed is not as fine as the filter on the DS. (It does matter to me. And if ResMed was my primary machine, I'd be inclined to find a finer filter for it. Because my DS filter gets dirty quite fast - and when I use my ResMed, I'm more prone to smell bad air.)

That's about all I can think of! I really do love both machines for different reasons! Good luck with your new machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea, my husband gets his ResMed and supplies from the VA and his filters are supposed to be a hypo-allergenic ones--they give him a pack of 50. I personally don't see any difference than my "regular" ones. On the menu on the AirSense 10 machines there is a listing for "AB Filters." Anyone know what this means--sounds like there might be an alternative filter.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AB filter is an antibacterial membrane filter in a small plastic enclosure that goes between the humidifier and the mask. It is much more resistant to flow than standard filters and can block flow completely if it becomes wet. It will not protect your machine from dust which is the primary purpose of the inlet filters.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Melman's right about that. The AB filter selection has nothing to do with the inlet filter. I'll add in a sample image, as these AB filters go on the hose.

[Image: 15xjMkB.png]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,747 1 hour ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 615 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,610 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,776 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,179 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.